I love Alpha Male books club discussion

All about our books > What's your type of Alpha Male

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vee (last edited Jun 06, 2013 04:49AM) (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments As a reader of mostly Alpha male books, I realized my tastes have evolved from stuffy dukes and earls, to billionaire playboys, tortured billionaire playboys, law enforcement type alphas, bad ass biker alphas etc ...

Anyway, after reading several books, I realized that my favorite Alpha males are:
bad ass alpha males, tough outside but are inwardly needy and overly possessive/protective of their woman. Which is why I can't get Sebastian Stark Surviving Raine (Surviving Raine, #1) by Shay Savage out of my head. What type of Alpha males do you like?

I'm thinking of writing a blog post to follow-up the most popular post on my blog:

Fiction and the Evolution of the Alpha Male

It'll be great if you include the books of your favorite type of Alpha.

Thanks!

Paganalexandria  | 118 comments Victoria wrote: "As a reader of mostly Alpha male books, I realized my tastes have evolved from stuffy dukes and earls, to billionaire playboys, tortured billionaire playboys, law enforcement type alphas, bad ass b..."

Victoria our alpha types have progressed along the same lines. Except I have to include Unrepentently Ruthless Immortals (Lothaire and Jericho Barrons). Throw a sexy mob boss in for good measure. Bonus points if he's a Dom.

message 3: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Paganalexandria wrote: "Victoria wrote: "As a reader of mostly Alpha male books, I realized my tastes have evolved from stuffy dukes and earls, to billionaire playboys, tortured billionaire playboys, law enforcement type ..."
In my blog post, the leading photo is of Jericho Barrons. :)
I separated the rankings of my alpha males contemporary romance and paranormal. Barrons is #1 overall, bar-none. No one can touch him.
Lothaire was # 4 on my paranormal alphas. Yes when it's paranormal romances, the more ruthless, the better. :)

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 165 comments Anything by Kristen Ashley. That girl knows how to write hot alpha male!!!!

message 5: by Sunny (last edited Jun 06, 2013 08:23AM) (new)

Sunny (svillalobos) | 12 comments I started off with Fifty Shades of Grey Christian, it's kind of hard to follow him in the billionaire alpha category so I'm not a huge fan of billionaire alpha's

BUT I noticed my ULTIMATE FAVORITE alpha's would definitely be the biker bad ass alpha's like Horse in Reaper's Property and Duece from Undeniable I'm a sucker for assholes! Tattoos and outlaws are one big plus in my book. They don't know the first thing about being sweet lol but I still fall these types every time!

message 6: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Ruth wrote: "Anything by Kristen Ashley. That girl knows how to write hot alpha male!!!!"
I love KA alphas too!

message 7: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments BUT I noticed my ULTIMATE FAVORITE alpha's would definitely be the biker bad ass alpha's like Horse in Reaper's Property and Duece from Undeniable I'm a sucker for assholes! Tattoos and outlaws are one big plus in my book. They don't know the first thing about being sweet lol but I still fall these types every time!
"

I thought Horse was pretty sweet. I haven't read Undeniable but I've read Unbeautifully and I do like Ripper.

Paganalexandria  | 118 comments Victoria wrote: "In my blog post, the leading photo is of Jericho Barrons. :)
I separated the rankings of my alpha males contemporary romance and paranormal. Barrons is #1 overall, bar-none. No one can touch him.
Lothaire was # 4 on my paranormal alphas. Yes when it's paranormal romances, the more ruthless, the better. :)
"

I read your blog post AFTER posting my reply and really saw how close out tastes actually are. LOL Jericho really is the ultimate alpha. A character I also really like is Acheron from the Dark Hunter books but he is more beta than alpha in my opinion because his actions are always more reactive than proactive. Plus a real alpha would have brought Artemis to heel a long time ago.

message 9: by Tank (last edited Jun 06, 2013 10:51AM) (new)

Tank Tattooed, ruthless, unapologetic, uber confident, preferably an outlaw (with loads of cash), experienced Dom, hung like a horse, family oriented. Like Victoria and Paganalexandria, I also like them overly protective and obsessive with their woman, and just a tad bit needy, but full of angsty attitude. A cross between Lothaire, Lestat,Vishous, and Giovanni Battaglia. Wouldn't hurt if he looked a lot like Clay Matthews...you know, the guy next door (LOL).

message 10: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Wow, ladies, you read mostly about Alpha males...I take my hat off to you!
I realized that reading about this type of men f****s with my mind.
The next time I come across this type of guy I must be heavily sedated...or else I won´t be able to survive without going mental. No joke!

message 11: by Tank (new)

Tank Katerina wrote: "Wow, ladies, you read mostly about Alpha males...I take my hat off to you!
The next time I come across this type of guy I must be..."

I get that to Katerina. I usually have to take a break and read a different genre after a book or two or twelve :)

message 12: by Katerina (new)

Katerina I was reading Beneath This Man (This Man, #2) by Jodi Ellen Malpas and had to stop, it was more than I could handle. On the one hand I want to continue, on the other I am dreading it...

message 13: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 165 comments Katerina wrote: "I was reading Beneath This Man (This Man, #2) by Jodi Ellen Malpas and had to stop, it was more than I could handle. On the one hand I want to continue, on the other I am dreading it..."

Katrina...finish it..it's good and totally worth it!!!!!!

message 14: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Yeah, I believe it´s good, that is why I stopped!

message 15: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Katerina wrote: "I was reading Beneath This Man (This Man, #2) by Jodi Ellen Malpas and had to stop, it was more than I could handle. On the one hand I want to continue, on the other I am dreading it..."

yes, jesse ward is nuts! :)

message 16: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Tank wrote: "Katerina wrote: "Wow, ladies, you read mostly about Alpha males...I take my hat off to you!
The next time I come across this type..."

I could read alpha male books all the time, there are varying degrees, sometimes I even like the geeky alpha males. What I cannot stand is when the female lets the alpha male walk all over them.

message 17: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Tank wrote: "Tattooed, ruthless, unapologetic, uber confident, preferably an outlaw (with loads of cash), experienced Dom, hung like a horse, family oriented. Like Victoria and Paganalexandria, I also like them..."
:)

message 18: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Paganalexandria wrote: "A character I also really like is Acheron from the Dark Hunter books but he is more beta than alpha in my opinion because his actions are always more reactive than proactive. Plus a real alpha would have brought Artemis to heel a long time ago. "
I also like Acheron, but I agree with you is more beta than alpha. But he could be some serious badass when he gets angry.

message 19: by Tank (new)

Tank Victoria wrote: "Tank wrote: "Katerina wrote: "Wow, ladies, you read mostly about Alpha males...I take my hat off to you!
The next time I come acr..."

Yes! The female counterpart/heroine has to be able to give as good as she can take. Otherwise, what's the use in having an Alpha if the woman overwhelmingly passive and/or submissive. That's why I love Laurenston's and Cole's series because their women are so fierce, they only submit if the male earns their submission. And then usually only in the bedroom.

message 20: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Tank wrote: "That's why I love Laurenston's and Cole's series because their women are so fierce, they only submit if the male earns their submission. And then usually only in the bedroom. "
I haven't read Luarentston, but I've devoured every single one of Kresley Cole's Immortal after dark series.

message 21: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments After reading Heart of Obsidian (Psy-Changeling, #12) by Nalini Singh , adding Kaleb Krychek to my list of lethal Alpha males. His ruthlessness reminds me of Jericho Barrons.

message 22: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 165 comments What book is Jericho Barron's in????

Paganalexandria  | 118 comments Ruth wrote: "What book is Jericho Barron's in????"

Ruth my favorite book boyfriend is in Karen Marie Moning's Fever series

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning . LOL

message 24: by Barbs (new)

Barbs Alvarez | 13 comments Omg! Victoria we have the same taste for alpha males! Jericho Barrons and Acheron got the first 2 top spot on my list for alpha male from paranormal! For non paranormal my previous was Christian Grey but after reading In Flight series I think James Cavendish now got the top spot followed bu Christian Grey then Gideon Cross. Currently I'm starting to appreciate rockstar after reading The Mighty Storm. So love it that I couldn't wait to read book 2!

message 25: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Barbs wrote: "Omg! Victoria we have the same taste for alpha males! Jericho Barrons and Acheron got the first 2 top spot on my list for alpha male from paranormal! For non paranormal my previous was Christian G..."
Jericho Barrons is a class of his own. If you like James Cavendish, have you read
Beneath This Man series, Jesse Ward is a bit over the top alpha, and some situations are bordering on immature, but still it was still entertaining and hot.

Dirty Romance Reviews (kathyjacks) | 10 comments The whole This Man series was so frustrating but once you read the last book in the series Jesse's "nuttiness" is understandable and made me like him so much more. At first I didnt like him at all.

message 27: by Aղցela W. (new)

Aղցela W. | 67 comments If I had to pick one it would be Gideon Cross yummy

message 28: by Danielle ⚾️ (new)

Danielle ⚾️ (Danielle's Escape) (fernieswifey) | 18 comments Gideon Cross! Hands down..

message 29: by Tania (new)

Tania | 6 comments Ren and Luke from rock chick series. Alphas and yummy!!!

message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria | 3 comments I'm obsessed with Knight Knight (Unfinished Hero, #1) by Kristen Ashley

message 31: by Firetop (new)

Firetop | 22 comments I love him too. Great hero. He loves her so much. Hot story

message 32: by Karina (new)

Karina | 11 comments Jesse Ward, end of. Lol

message 33: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments I loved that Epilogue of This man confessed. Love Jesse's POV.

message 34: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments I've also been loving the paranormal New Species Alphas by Laurann Dohner.

Paganalexandria  | 118 comments I am totally in a criminal phase. I am loving all the Outlaw Biker reads. Right now I'm reading the gangster series The Devil's Eyes The Devil's Eyes (The Devil's Eyes, #1) by Jennifer Loren The Devil's Revenge (The Devil's Eyes, #2) by Jennifer Loren The Devil's Son (The Devil's Eyes, #3) by Jennifer Loren . There a couple of "indie issues" but I can't put it down. I used to complain when authors didn't have anyone likeable in a book. Now I bow down to the ones who make me care about unlikable people.

message 36: by Adrastea (new)

Adrastea | 2 comments Right on ladies! You all have given me some good recommendations here. For me, I love the KGI series by Maya Banks and the Elite Op's and Tempting Seal's series' by Lora Leigh.

As far as Alpha Males I always tend to think along the lines of military/special forces type men in those roles.

I need to get into the Naughti series by Lora Leigh as well...just haven't yet.

message 37: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** wrote: "I am totally in a criminal phase. I am loving all the Outlaw Biker reads. Right now I'm reading the gangster series The Devil's Eyes The Devil's Eyes (The Devil's Eyes, #1) by Jennifer Loren[bookcover:The Devil's Reve..."

Are the books kind of a standalone? Or is it a cliffhanger after each book.

message 38: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Adrastea wrote: "Right on ladies! You all have given me some good recommendations here. For me, I love the KGI series by Maya Banks and the Elite Op's and Tempting Seal's series' by Lora Leigh.

As far as Alpha Ma..."

I've read some of Lora Leigh's Tempting Seals, I love her Elite Op's Wild card.

Have you read Pamela Clare's I-team series? My favorite is
Breaking Point (I-Team, #5) by Pamela Clare .

My own book Fire and Ice (Guardians, #1) by Victoria Paige is military-type too except the h is pretty alpha herself. I know some folks like damsel-in-distress type and this isn't it.

message 39: by Vee (last edited Oct 06, 2013 05:54AM) (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Also Cindy Gerard's Black Ops series is pretty good. The guys are not too alpha like what's common in books nowadays but they are badass all the way. I really loved this one With No Remorse (Black Ops, #6) by Cindy Gerard .

message 40: by Adrastea (new)

Adrastea | 2 comments Victoria wrote: "Adrastea wrote: "Right on ladies! You all have given me some good recommendations here. For me, I love the KGI series by Maya Banks and the Elite Op's and Tempting Seal's series' by Lora Leigh.

A..."

No, I have not read any of Clare's work, but I'm always looking out for recommendations and will check her out, as well as yours :). Thanks for the info.

message 41: by Malinda (new)

Malinda (malindad) | 844 comments I love a good alpha male but I tend to dislike the ones that show asshole tenancies. A little bit is ok but too much assholish behavior has a tenancy to be a turnoff for me.

message 42: by Vee (last edited Oct 10, 2013 05:21AM) (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Malinda wrote: "I love a good alpha male but I tend to dislike the ones that show asshole tenancies. A little bit is ok but too much assholish behavior has a tenancy to be a turnoff for me."

I can tolerate asshole tendencies to a certain extent:
a) if it's not directed toward the h
b) as long as it's not cheating or physical abuse
c) I can't stand it if an H calls the h (or any woman) a bitch, except in biker romances and it's part of the culture. :)
d) The h can stand up to him and give it right back...backtalk...not bitchy.
e) major grovel if he's done some major assholeness

:)

message 43: by Malinda (new)

Malinda (malindad) | 844 comments Victoria wrote: "Malinda wrote: "I love a good alpha male but I tend to dislike the ones that show asshole tenancies. A little bit is ok but too much assholish behavior has a tenancy to be a turnoff for me."

I can..."

Yeah, that list works for me for the most part. I will add that he can't hurt the heroine's kids either... Kids as collateral damage is a big no for me.

message 44: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments hurting the kids whether emotionally or physically puts him in villain territory for me.

Paganalexandria  | 118 comments Victoria wrote: "Are the books kind of a standalone? Or is it a cliffhanger after each book. "

Victoria, unfortunately they have cliff hangers.

message 46: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catemc) | 6 comments Love Lynda Chance's hero's, Drake from Dangerous Passion (Dangerous, #3) by Lisa Marie Rice Christian Grey FSOG, and Horse from Reaper's Property (Reapers MC, #1) by Joanna Wylde . While I loved Jesse from This Man I didn't feel he was a true Alpha, too insecure and needy. Enjoyed the Undeniable books but can't like an Alpha that's a serial cheater, so Deuce just doesn't do it for me.

message 47: by ~ Jess ~ (new)

~ Jess ~ | -9 comments every book i read, every new book boyfriend I add to the list are all a bit different. I like them for different reasons. I do not do paranormal/vampire stories at all, so all those men are off my list. but...so far in every one of my favorites, there is some 5 star man-meat ;)

message 48: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments Catherine wrote: "Love Lynda Chance's hero's, Drake from Dangerous Passion (Dangerous, #3) by Lisa Marie Rice Christian Grey FSOG, and Horse from Reaper's Property (Reapers MC, #1) by Joanna Wylde. While I loved Jesse from This Man I didn't f..."

Ooooh, I love Horse. I did not read Undeniable #1 (because of the cheating), but I loved #2 and #3. Unattainable despite how rough and gritty and how effed up it is happens to be one of my best reads this year.

message 49: by Malinda (new)

Malinda (malindad) | 844 comments Horse is a book boyfriend of mine too :D

I was thinking about listing my book boyfriends but the list is too long so here is my link to my book boyfriend shelf in case anyone wants to see mine. :D

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 50: by Vee (last edited Oct 12, 2013 08:31PM) (new)

Vee Paige | 256 comments oooh... I love your list Malinda. I see some KA heroes over there. I also love Lachlan from A Hunger like no Other. He's the reason I love werewolves with all their Mine and Mate growling.

« previous 1