Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Twins, Triplets, Oh My!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Jun 06, 2013 03:41AM) (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
June seems to be the Month of Multiples here in the LIH Group! My book The Earl's Honorable Intentions has fraternal infant twins and Debra Ullrick's The Unintended Groom has identical twin boys. Besides that Winnie Griggs and I both have twin children in real life - hers are identical twin daughters and mine are identical twin sons.

So I thought it would be fun to talk about twins and other multiples in books and in real life. Do you enjoy reading stories with twins, triplets or more? What is it that appeals to you about them? Any particular books you've read with multiples that you enjoyed?

What about real life? Do you know any twins or other multiples? Do you have any good stories about them? Did they ever fool people or get mixed up? How did people tell them apart? Did they have any kind of special connection -- their own language or seeming to know what the other was thinking or doing?

message 2: by Deborah (new)

I loved The Bobsey Twins books when I was a kid as well as the twins in LM Montgomery's "Anne" books -- Davy and Dora that Marilla adopts and Anne's twin daughters Nan and Di.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments The first book that came to mind was Jingle Bell Babies by Kathryn Springer. Jingle Bell Babies by Kathryn Springer
It was the final book in the After the Storm continuity that came out for LI back in 2009. The book features a hero that has triplet baby girls

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane | 34 comments I believe the only book I've read with twins is False Colours by Heyer. My cousin just had twin girls and her husband is a twin as well.

I think having twins in a book can be entertaining, and can produce some great scenes.

message 5: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Maybe someone should write book about twins growing up and marrying twins, I knew sisters that married brothers but not twins....

message 6: by Deborah (new)

What a cute cover, Laura! I checked out the Goodreads page and see that our Melody reviewed that book.

Twins do seem to run in families, Jane. My mother-in-law is an identical twin so she thought it was neat that we had twins too.

That does sound like it would be a good book, Paula. I think I read an article in a magazine about that happening, but I've never read a fictional story about it.

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 340 comments Deborah wrote: "I loved The Bobsey Twins books when I was a kid as well as the twins in LM Montgomery's "Anne" books -- Davy and Dora that Marilla adopts and Anne's twin daughters Nan and Di."

I loved the Bobbsey Twins too. And the twins in the Anne books "Twins seem to be my lot in life!" Davy was such a lovable character! I also loved the twins in Malcolm Saville's Lone Pine Series Mystery at Witchend by Malcolm Saville . Dickie & Mary were hilarious, & added a fun element to the stories. I always loved it when they went into their "twin routine" on unsuspecting strangers - the best ones were when they did it on the bad guys.

My mum's cousin had identical twin boys - she dressed 1 in red & the other in blue. However, as they grew older they enjoyed swapping clothes throughout the day and thoroughly confusing people!

I was at primary school with identical girls. They looked the same but their voices were very different - 1 was high, & the other low, so I was ok if they spoke to me 1st, or I heard them talking to anyone else. However, if I had to guess, more often than not I would choose the wrong one.

Working with children, I have had several sets of twins, both identical & non throughout the years. Not had any triplets though.

message 8: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4941 comments last year the LI continually was about 3 sets of twins. or was it 2 sets of twins.

there was A LIH book last year with twins too I think it had an english connection.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Ausjenny wrote: "last year the LI continually was about 3 sets of twins. or was it 2 sets of twins.

there was A LIH book last year with twins too I think it had an english connection."

I can't believe I totally forgot that last year's continuity featured two sets of twins.

message 10: by June (new)

June | 366 comments The first books I "remember" reading were the Bobbsey Twins. So I guess I could attribute my love of reading to twins. In 7th grade my best friend was a twin, boy/girl though. My mom always wanted twins but since she never had any we "un-officially" adopted them. 35 years later they are still great friends.

Last years continuity was awesome!!! It was two sets of twins, the half brother and ended with the parents stories!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

My mom has two sets of twins, all girls. The second set are identical, but the first set aren't. I have a younger sister close in age, and people are always assuming we are twins, too. :)

message 12: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments wow your mom has lot of girls Christal, what ages are you? we had 6 girls and 3 boys in our family but most folks today don't have large families.

message 13: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Deborah wrote: "I loved The Bobsey Twins books when I was a kid as well as the twins in LM Montgomery's "Anne" books -- Davy and Dora that Marilla adopts and Anne's twin daughters Nan and Di."
I was a big Bobsey twins fan too!

message 14: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
My mom always prayed that I would have twins. God knew I could not DO twins. :-)

message 15: by June (new)

June | 366 comments Lyn wrote: "My mom always prayed that I would have twins. God knew I could not DO twins. :-)"

Was your mom praying nice, or was it the " I hope you have a child just like you" curse X2?

message 16: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 340 comments Lyn wrote: "My mom always prayed that I would have twins. God knew I could not DO twins. :-)"

:) A big smile at your comment, Lyn!

Here are some other twin books I've thought of:

In Harm's Way (Heroes of Quantico, #3) by Irene Hannon A Veiled Reflection (Westward Chronicles, #3) by Tracie Peterson Through the Valley of Shadows by Meredith Resce The 1st 2 the heroines are an identical twin, the last one the children in it are twins - 1 boy & 1 girl. In Misplaced Angel there are several children including a set of boy twins.

Twin Targets (Protecting the Witnesses, #1) by Marta Perry Love Finds You in Wildrose, North Dakota by Tracey Bateman - in these 2 the heroines are an identical twin, but both stories start with them having lost their twin.

There's also The Twins at St Clare's (St Clare's, #1) by Enid Blyton - I liked this series, but I preferred her Mallory Towers series which was also set at a girls boarding school.

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Thanks for finding those books with twins, Wendy!

Lyn, I had to laugh about your Mom praying you'd have twins. I was glad I had mine after my two older children because I sort of knew the ropes -- as much as you ever do! ;)

message 18: by Melody (last edited Jun 12, 2013 01:44PM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Yes I surely did! That was a sweet story! Not any other twin books come to mind right now...

I have some guy friends who are twins. Growing up I could never tell them a part! I always would ask my younger brother (because they are his age and had been in his church classes since he was little) who was who. He would get so mad at me and say, "Can't you just tell? It's easy!"
I didn't become friends with them til they were about 16, and once we were friends, it was beyond easy to tell them a part! I don't know how I didn't see just how different they were before! My friend loves to tease them by calling them the wrong names on purpose. :)

My sis-in-law has siblings that are twins, boy and a girl. I always wanted a twin, but I wanted a twin brother because I just adore my brothers, and thought a bro my same age would be fabulous! :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Paula-O wrote: "wow your mom has lot of girls Christal, what ages are you? we had 6 girls and 3 boys in our family but most folks today don't have large families."

There are 10 girls and 2 boys, so the boys are really outnumbered. :) Our ages range from 19 to 9 months.

message 20: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Wow, Christal, that's great! Ten girls! I can only imagine! I have five brothers and three sisters, big families are a blast! :) My oldest sis is 42, my youngest bro is 23. :)

message 21: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I really liked growing up with lot of kids in the family but the older ones were gone before I was old enough to enjoy them, brothers off to service and two older sisters married at 15&16...
great to see some larger families here.

message 22: by Winnie (new)

Winnie Griggs (winniegriggs) | 235 comments Coming in late to this discussion, but I cut my teeth on the Bobsey Twins as well - loved those books!

I also raised a set of identical girl twins - they are my two youngest. Both ended up going into the nursing profession though they have different specialties. I always tell my friends that I wanted three children (always thought that was the ideal number) but the good Lord wanted to give me four so He made that last time a 'double blessing' - and I'm so glad He did!