UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > RIP Tom Sharpe

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments It has been announced that Tom Sharpe has died, aged 84.

I always loved his work, as many of you know. I recommedended The Throwback as a book recommendation last year.

Sadly, we will have no more Wilt books. Although he had writers block for some years, he had started to produce books again and was hoping to read more of his work.

message 2: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Very sad.
RIP.

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments oh no :(
RIP

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I never realised he was that old! Very sad.

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Ah, shame. Some of his work was a scream and he was very hard (which they deserved) on the apartheid movement.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21711 comments It's funny, I was just thinking about his books this morning. I liked his Wilt books, but felt that his Apartheid SA books were brilliant at getting into the mindset of a certain type of person the system threw up

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments Oh, that is sad news. I loved his books, really funny.

message 8: by Alan (new)

Alan Hardy | 75 comments Very sad.

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Very sad news. I read my first Sharpe book (Ancestral Vices) when eleven years old after finding it stuffed in the children's section of our local library. Even though his later works didn't hit the dizzying heights of Blott, Wilt or Porterhouse, they remained chucklesome reads.

I'll end my brief eulogy with a passage from Wilt / The Wilt Alternative:

Daddy's got a wigwag,
Mummy's got a c***
Mummy peepees down her legs
And daddy out in front.

Auden himself couldn't match such poetic beauty.

message 10: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3102 comments He will be greatly missed. I think I enjoyed Riotous Assembly (I nicked that title for one of my stories) and Indecent Exposure - the two South African books - most of all as they had a real passion behind them. My dad used to howl at Blott on the Landscape. The Throwback is good too, with all the usual casual mayhem and misunderstanding.

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam Kates | 333 comments Very sad. I haven't read everything he's done, but enjoyed every one that I did. One or two made me laugh out loud. I particularly recall laughing myself to tears at a scene where Wilt was being questioned by the police. It's a brilliant piece of writing.

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Sam wrote: "I particularly recall laughing myself to tears at a scene where Wilt was being questioned by the police. It's a brilliant piece of writing..."

I haven't looked at a pork pie in the same way since.

message 13: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments The South African books remain, for me, a beacon of how to ridicule an immoral system. No wonder they threw him out.

Blott is probably my favourite though

message 14: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments :( RIP