YA Book Gang!! discussion

Archived Items > Writing????

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3050 comments Mod
Hey guys :)
Does anyone in our group write? Has anyone ever published a novel or are you currently working on publishing one? Or have you not started writing but your lifetime dream is to become an author?

Natalie (Never trust a duck) I want to write a book. I tried starting one, but I'm stuck on one part :P

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Writers block :/ I hate that. What's your book about? :D

Natalie (Never trust a duck) well it's mythological and the basis is conflict between the Amazons and the Gods. I don't know, i have to spend some quality time on it :)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Wow that sounds very interesting :) you must have done a load of research on mythology.

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (papergalaxies) Im still working on a book i have written for the last 2 1/2 years. I hope to be able to publish it someday :)

Natalie (Never trust a duck) Triseaton3 wrote: "Im still working on a book i have written for the last 2 1/2 years. I hope to be able to publish it someday :)"

Wow, thats impressive. Dedication!!

Sarah wrote: "Wow that sounds very interesting :) you must have done a load of research on mythology."

Actually, I learned everything from the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series :)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Triseaton3 wrote: "Im still working on a book i have written for the last 2 1/2 years. I hope to be able to publish it someday :)"

That is dedication :)

Natalie - Haha :D

Anna (Unquenchable Reads) (unquenchablereads) I'm trying to write a book about a dystopian society.

And I'm thinking about starting a romance book.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Ahhhh I'm a goodreads author now :D I know it's nothing major but I'm happy about it :) My whole profile is completely different!!!

message 11: by Niámh (new)

Niámh | 83 comments Are you goina start doing blogs and stuff.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

I sent out a tester one, sure what am I supposed to take about? :p

message 13: by Niámh (new)

Niámh | 83 comments Ummm i dont know your book stuff.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Ya, something about it :) and probably just random topics every now and then :p Thanks for being my fan :D

message 15: by Jenna (new)

Jenna C | 4 comments I write stories but haven't worked on one in over a year... :(

message 16: by Garrett (last edited Jul 03, 2013 11:07AM) (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments I've got a bunch of things published but only one of them is YA. STAY AWAY FROM THE OTHER ONES IF YOU'RE IN THIS GROUP. Most of my stuff is really adult. Lots of profanity, violence, blah blah blah. What can I say? It sells.

But my new series is AWESOME, totally YA, totally fantasy. I love it so much. SO SO MUCH. It just went up for pre-order—but I'm going to do a goodreads giveaway soon, too. So you can wait for that. :-)

If you want to check it out it's at http://therealmkeepers.com

Oh and Sarah, I named the main character MONTHS before I joined this group, so there :-p

message 17: by Sarah (new)

What???? I'm confused :p

message 18: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments (The main character in the book is named Sarah).

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Oooohhhh Haha :p Aww I'm flattered :p it's so because of me :p

message 20: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments Oh totally ;-)

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Haha I knew it :p God I wonder is she anything like me? :p

message 22: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments Well, I don't know you that well...but you're the leader of this book club...she's the leader of the Realm Keepers...

Tell you what, when you read it, you can decide for yourself! :-p

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Haha ya :D

message 24: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments You're from Ireland, right?

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Yup

message 26: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments OK well then she can't be THAT much like you. American. Sigh. If only I were born in Ireland or Scotland...my accent would be that much cooler.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Tut tut, should have made her Irish :p I know Scottish people have a nice accent :p

message 28: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments Scottish is second best to Irish. And NZ accents are awesome—not exactly "pretty" though. But NZ is my favorite place in the world.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Question: Did you go to college and like do a writing course?

message 30: by Sarah (new)

I don't think I heard NZ accent.

message 31: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments No. No college, no formal training. But I've been writing since I was 15. And I justify it by saying that most of the great writers never got formal training either :-)

I think the best thing you can do is read and read and read and read and read and then write and read and write and read and write.

Meaning you need a LOT of reading first to give yourself a grounding, and then you write, and then read some more (to learn what you're doing wrong) and then write some more. Rinse and repeat and get better and better every time.

And it helps if you're crazy anal about your spelling and grammar (which I am) and don't necessarily HAVE to have a professional editor.

message 32: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments For NZ accent, google interview videos with Peter Jackson.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Ok and wow thank you. It's so hard to get good advice from people :)

message 34: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments Haha. Lots of people don't have good advice to give.

Heck, mine might be bad. I'm BARELY making a living as an author. But it gets better every month. Every royalty check gets bigger.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Oh ya that's a downside. Ammm is this too personal to ask but do you have like another job?

message 36: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments No I don't. And I don't mind you asking. :-) I'm actually pretty proud that I AM making a living, even though it's meager.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Thanks. And you should be proud. I'm asking because I've got a year to decide what I want to do with my 'future' but with everything being so damn expensive, I'm limited.

message 38: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments Well...writing isn't expensive. :-) Do it now while you're not scrambling to pay bills. Give it your best. You've got a year to become awesome. You probably won't start that way but you can become that way.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Have you always wanted to be an author?

message 40: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments Kind of. I did when I was a teenager. Then when I finished high school I realized I want to be a filmmaker (which I still do). But that's such a hard industry to break into. Then I had a bright idea: go back to writing, create some popular books, then make those into movies. Hollywood only wants to make movies based off of books and whatever anyways.

message 41: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments So I direct films and write books at the same time.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Class!!! I was thinking about going into photography too.

message 43: by Emily (new)

Emily (demonpoxologist20) I usually start writing different stories because i have loved to read and write but i always give up or lose a story. still trying though

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I have tried many times but failed lol.

message 45: by J. (new)

J. Greene (j_greene) I've always wanted to write. Always. I'm really hoping to write and get a book published.

message 46: by Shelby (new)

Shelby A | 53 comments I alwase wanted to rite a book tried and got a BAD case if whites block on the 2 nt chapter

message 47: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Robinson (garrettbrobinson) | 74 comments So, speaking of writing...

My latest is out. Part two of the series. It's only a buck, so if anyone wants to check it out:

Realm Keepers: Episode Two

message 48: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_jenkins) I write! If anyone wants to read the book I'm currently writing here's the link: https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...

message 49: by Lissette (new)

Lissette (liss4ever) Here's the story that I wrote. Its my very first one.

« previous 1