J.D. Robb discussion

In Death Unplugged > Is it Eve or Roarke?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12669 comments Mod
No question, Eve is the primary character in this series. But! Roarke is a significant attraction.

When I first started the series, I was really into Eve, her role as a homicide lieutenant with leadership over a squad and her climb out of her horrific childhood. Even as her romance with Roarke escalated, she was still my anchor in the series.

At some point, and I'm not exactly sure when, I would start a book and get impatient for the first scene where Roarke was involved. I would get annoyed when she would get home late because it meant that much longer before I'd get my Roarke fix.

I'm now back to Eve. Oh, sure, I love the scenes with Roarke but I'm fixated again on Eve and her next evolution.

This is a long-winded route to find out where you are with these two? It's more than which one is your most favorite...which one is pulling you into the series these days? Do you go back and forth?

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments I don't think I can separate them... Of course if you don't like Eve, you can't easily read the book cause she's the heroine. I think what I'm waiting for in every book is to see them together. Their scenes are the best, better than their separate ones...

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3235 comments I agree, I am usually waiting to see them interacting with each other. I like their interactions with other characters, but when I am just skipping around, automatically seek out them together.

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1415 comments I also agree. Their interactions are always my favorite, I don't thing I could choose between th.

message 5: by Sheery (new)

Sheery (wwwgoodreadscomprofilesheery) | 41 comments This is a very interesting question. I'm trying to remember if I ever felt more drawn to one over the other. There is, of course the element of Eve being the heroine of the series. However, so much of her evolvement has been with Roarke or in large part because of his emotional support. I can't really separate my love for both of them. My favorite scenes in the books are always the ones when it's just the two of them. Yes, they are separate characters, but it's them together that keeps me coming back, book after fabulous book.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 116 comments Agree Jonetta! I am always impatient for the first scene with Roarke when I read any of the novels. So I have to admit, for me, it's about Roarke more than Eve. I like her, but her relationship with Roarke and how they compliment and complete each other is what keeps me in love with the series.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10056 comments Mod
Eve is the heart of the story...but I belong to Roarke!

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments For me, it's all about Eve. SHE is (for me) what the story is about. The story is about her and her life/job/marriage and luckily for everyone she is married to the gorgeous man we all have fallen in love with! Haha

message 9: by Sandra (new)

I agree, Elizabeth. It is Eve's story but once she meets and falls for Roarke, he's a huge part of that. Lucky for us he's all alpha male wrapped up in a delicious package! *sigh*

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments For me I will forever love Roarke. He will always be my hero. He is also so much fun

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

I wonder if it's hard to separate the two. The series would obviously have a completely different vibe without Roarke. And I believe a large part of Roarke's appeal comes from how he loves Eve, not just because he's rich and gorgeous. His devotion to her is what makes him stand out.

I think if we had to go through these stories with Eve struggling with her life without Roarke it would be too sad to bear after awhile.

Maybe the answer is that you just can't separate them.

message 12: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 1269 comments I agree Jonetta. Without Roarke, Eve wouldn't be who she is now. Just like how Mira said she would probably burn out from the job without having the people around her (Roarke, Mavis, Peabody, etc.). I love both of them so it's hard to choose. There are so many layers to them, you always learn new things with each book. The fun part is the journey with them, the ups and downs of marriage, the cases, the interrelationships with all the characters. Like everyone else, I always look forward to the first scene with the two of them together. I even skim pages of a new book to see when the first scene is. I'm impatient lol.

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Well said, Quynh!

message 14: by Sandra (new)

It is the relationship and interaction between Eve and Roarke that make the books for me. That's probably why "quotes" from these books are so memorable and heart touching. I don't care that Roarke is rich..I do love that he is seriously hot!...I love his actions toward and reaction to Eve and the same goes for her with him.

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Yeah, without Eve, he'd be just another pretty (rich) face:)

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Yes, he would and she wouldn't be as good without him either, IMO. They truly compliment each other in the best of ways. Love them both...one of my all time favorite couples!

message 17: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 14 comments i'm all about Roarke. I get impatient with Eve, annoyed with Eve, frustrated with Eve, pissed at Eve... I enjoy Roarke. He makes me smile, and is why I keep reading.

message 18: by Sandra (new)

I could get lost in Roarke, for sure, but the series wouldn't be the same without both of them playing the exact roles they play...NR sure got it right!

message 19: by Jonetta (last edited Jun 29, 2013 08:35AM) (new)

Shelby, I wonder if your opinion of Eve will change as you get through the series. You're at Judgment right? When you get through Innocent in Death, check back here and let us know.

message 20: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 1269 comments I would think that any reader who didn't like Eve would have a change of opinion earlier than Innocent. Portrait in Death is one example.

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

I suggested Innocent because (view spoiler).

message 22: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 14 comments Innocent was actually the first one I read so I checked out your spoiler. My favorite part was when (view spoiler)  It's why I began reading the series.   I liked Eve better when I knew her less well.  Hopefully as I get further in it will all come together again. 

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks for that, Shelby as it makes your feelings clearer. Do still check back when you get this far, though, as you may have a broader perspective of her that might make a difference...or not! Just curious if it matters.

message 24: by Quynh (last edited Jun 29, 2013 03:29PM) (new)

Quynh | 1269 comments I think Eve's bafflement about Roarke will always be there. She had no one essentially growing up until she became a cop and worked with Feeney, then meeting Mavis. She didn't have much of a personal life before Roarke, everything was about the job. And now that has changed. The job was something she can be sure of, her feelings and emotions are more new to her when it comes to love. I love her character's growth. I hope you like her better as the series continue. :)

message 25: by Sandra (new)

You said it perfectly, Quynh. She's comfortable in her job but not in personal relationships. It's a learning experience for her and learning to trust another person completely is not easy. I have really enjoyed watching her character develop and the way she interacts with Roarke as well as everybody else.

message 26: by Shelby (last edited May 21, 2015 02:11AM) (new)

Shelby | 14 comments Okay, I got sidetracked on some other series and now I'm back and have read through Imitation. I also discovered the novellas, caught up on those from earlier in the series, and am currently reading Remember When. You're right Quynh about Portrait. Eve is becoming more likeable as she develops more relationships and is less self-focused. She's closer now to the person I first met and enjoyed in Innocent. I also liked her thoughts in Imitation about (view spoiler) :)

Lesley Book Lover  (lesleyds) | 143 comments Eve is a good detective without Roarke, but they are a team, and without him, it just wouldn't work, and I love them together.

message 28: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) It wouldn't have lasted this long without Roarke, but I think Eve is the primary character as it's done nearly completely from her p.o.v. Now, that being said, I'd love to see a book from Roarke's p.o.v.

SB*needs low angst books* | 850 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "It wouldn't have lasted this long without Roarke, but I think Eve is the primary character as it's done nearly completely from her p.o.v. Now, that being said, I'd love to see a book from Roarke's ..."

I always thought it was their relationship that made the book what it is. I also think the supporting cast helped as well since they add so much to the books too. I do agree I would love more of Roarke pov or a whole book and more pov from others as well.

message 30: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I agree, @Sbyrd64! I don't read the book for the mystery/suspense aspect. I read it for Eve & Roarke and all the other interpersonal relationships. That's the main thing for me. I just love all those people and consider them members of my family.

I'd love to see a Roarke book. (Think Tangled by Emma Chase with a mystery!)

SB*needs low angst books* | 850 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I agree, @Sbyrd64! I don't read the book for the mystery/suspense aspect. I read it for Eve & Roarke and all the other interpersonal relationships. That's the main thing for me. I just love all tho..."

I agree. I like the cases but seriously I want to keep up with how everyone is and what is new in there lives. Like friends I keep in contact with.

message 32: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Yes! That's how I feel. It's like a reunion where you get to check in with everyone. Seriously, I've gotten so I rarely care about the actual story; and sometimes I feel like the whole solving crime is getting in the way. (LOL!)

SB*needs low angst books* | 850 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Yes! That's how I feel. It's like a reunion where you get to check in with everyone. Seriously, I've gotten so I rarely care about the actual story; and sometimes I feel like the whole solving crim..."

Lol!! I like the cases because it sometimes brings up really funny lines. I can't remember which book off hand but I got a kick out of Peabody asking does the penis every get tired lol.

message 34: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Well, yeah, that and without the cases we wouldn't see some of the funniest people. Still, sometimes, I just wish the E/R time would be more.

message 35: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (sekay88) | 169 comments The thing that makes this the greatest series ever is not just Eve or Roarke, but the extraordinary web of relationships that JDR develops throughout. Eve and Roarke are at the core of the web but it is all the offshoots that make the series so special. That said, as a guy, I love Eve as she has grown through the 40 books into the most complex and interesting character in contemporary fiction.

SB*needs low angst books* | 850 comments Courtney wrote: "The thing that makes this the greatest series ever is not just Eve or Roarke, but the extraordinary web of relationships that JDR develops throughout. Eve and Roarke are at the core of the web but ..."

I agree she has changed so much from the first book. The characters are an award winning cast.

message 37: by Paula (new)

Paula | 245 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Eve is the heart of the story...but I belong to Roarke!"

I agree Sandra, Roarke is it for me. I can't imagine one of the books without Roarke. BUT Eve and Roarke together is magic too.

SB*needs low angst books* | 850 comments Paula wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Eve is the heart of the story...but I belong to Roarke!"

I agree Sandra, Roarke is it for me. I can't imagine one of the books without Roarke. BUT Eve and Roa..."

I would never want a book without Roarke. He really adds a magic to the story.

message 39: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 14 comments While Eve is growing on me as I get further into the series, Roarke is still my fave. I agree we need some Roarke p.o.v...

message 40: by Kaydee (new)

Kaydee | 12 comments I love them both, but Eve is the book.

Now, is there anyone you don't like in the series. I mean yeah dickhead is dickhead but I still like the character.

message 41: by Jonetta (new)

I can't think of anyone I really don't like but Dickie is at the bottom of my list:)

message 42: by Paula (new)

Paula | 245 comments Dickie is cute. BUT with so many people to like in this book, he does fall towards the bottom. I don't like that cop that had a thing for Eve when she was single and Roarke had to show him who is boss. I can't even think of his name right now.

message 43: by Jonetta (new)

That's Webster.

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I can't separate the two. I love watching Eve grow as a person, but I also love how Roarke balances Eve. I don't think the books would be any good without Roarke.

message 45: by Jonetta (new)

Good point, Dee!

message 46: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1415 comments I agree Dee.

message 47: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 14 comments Back again and have read up through Dark. I still prefer Roarke though Eve is even more relatable now (I love the Marriage Rules) than the character I met and enjoyed in Innocent, the first of the series that I read. Some others have commented that they get impatient for the first scene with Eve and Roarke. I look forward to it too, though my favorite thing about it is to see how Roarkes accent will be described... Naked: His voice was smooth, with a whisper of the charm of Ireland over it, like rich cream over warmed whiskey. Conspiracy: Ireland whispered, silky and romantic, in his voice. Festive: The Ireland of his birth wound smoothly through his words.

message 48: by Jonetta (new)

Ah, brings back memories, Shelby💜

message 49: by Sandra (new)

Shelby wrote: "Back again and have read up through Dark. I still prefer Roarke though Eve is even more relatable now (I love the Marriage Rules) than the character I met and enjoyed in Innocent, the first of the ..."

Oh Shelby! I LOVE the way Robb describes Roarke's voice! As well as the way she describes his personal appearance each and every time. Thanks for the reminder!❤

And for me personally - it's not one over the other. These stories would not be the same without both of them. They play equal roles in my eyes.

message 50: by Seth (new)

Seth (electicoutcast) | 272 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "And for me personally - it's not one over the other. These stories would not be the same without both of them. They play equal roles in my eyes. "

I'm with you on that opinion, and aside from Eve doing some growing emotionally, Roarke has done his share of emotional growth because there was a period between Judgement and Divided where his Alpha side got a little too out of control and made both of them butt heads with each other on multiple occasions and obviously it came to a head when Roarke uncovered Homeland listening to Eve being raped and how he wanted to take revenge and Eve had to practically get down on her knees to beg him to stop and ultimately he did because he knew the loss would be deeper than the gain.

« previous 1