The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

oppression / discrimination > Native American Student Denied Diploma, Fined $1000 for Feather in Cap

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

An Escambia Academy High School student said she was denied a diploma and fined $1,000 for wearing an eagle feather at her graduation.

For 17-year-old Chelsey Ramer, graduating on May 23 was supposed to be a joyous occasion.

“I was excited,” said Ramer.

It has been more than a week, and she still does not have her diploma. She said it is all because of her feather.

The eagle feather is part of her Native American Heritage. Ramer is of the Poarch Creek Band of Indians. She wanted to wear the feather as a show of pride for her heritage.

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/s...

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling I could see them withholding the diploma but not the transcripts, I guess that's heading to court.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

To me, this is the equivalent of saying a Christian student could not have worn a cross or a Mulim / Middle Eastern student couldn't wear a headscarf.

message 4: by Robert (last edited Jun 05, 2013 10:08PM) (new)

Robert Zwilling Since there is a contract that says anyone will wear nothing extra I figure it is all prohibited, but the penalty is ridiculous. The diploma is part of the ceremony, the transcripts have nothing to do with the ceremony. The crosses are probably worn under the robes so no one will see them. A Muslim / Middle Eastern student wearing a headscarf would definitely share the same fate as the eagle feather wearer.