What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Sandy and the Rock Star
This topic is about Sandy and the Rock Star
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. teen rock star runs away, lives in cave with lion [s]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 136 comments Well, as usual with my requests, the subject line has virtually all the information I know, although I can add that I read the book sometime around 1981, give or take a couple years. I'm not sure if it was marketed as children's or young adult. The rock star character gets fed up with the intense pressure of his life and fans, and runs off, and ends up hanging out in some patch of wilderness with a lion (who may also have run away from some circus act or something of that nature? not sure about this part). They share a cave, IIRC.

Thanks in advance for any help!

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1042 comments I kind of remember this one, but not the title. I think it was one of the Scholastic Book Club titles, and I think it was made into a TV movie, possibly for Disney?

message 3: by Emily (last edited Jun 06, 2013 11:28AM) (new) - added it

Emily | 136 comments That sounds right, Pamela. I think I got it from the Scholastic Book club, and the movie part also sounds vaguely familiar -- I think the cover was probably a still from the film. (and I've just learned it's really hard to google "lion" and "Disney" and not get anything Lion King related!)

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2016 comments There was a Disney movie called Sultan and the Rock Star about a rock star and a tiger. Could that be it?

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2016 comments Emily - was "Sultan and the Rock Star" right?

message 6: by Emily (last edited Aug 20, 2013 03:49PM) (new) - added it

Emily | 136 comments "Sultan and the Rock Star" is a movie. Any search for that as the title of a book comes up empty. I have not been able to locate any tie-in books. It seems likely that the movie was based on a book with a different title, and if so, I would like to know what that title is. So no, the query is not yet solved. Thanks.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37342 comments Mod
Possibly Rich and Famous: The Further Adventures of George Stable by James Lincoln Collier? I think I read it as a kid but I remember no details whatsoever, including anything about a lion.

Summary:

"At thirteen, George Stable still hasn't made his mark on the world. Oh, he plays the guitar and sings a little. And he appeared on television for six whole seconds once. A couple of years ago, he even wrote a sort of book, called The Teddy Bear Habit. But nothing really exciting has happened to him. But now, it looks as if his big chance has finally come. This agent of his, Woody Woodward, who discovered him during his six-second TV career, has come up with a plan to make him a hot new guitar-playing teenage star--"George Stable, The Boy Next Door." Never mind that George has spent his entire life in Greenwich Village, which is not exactly where you'd find your typical "Boy Next Door." As Woody says, it's the image that counts. Of course, there are a few problems to be ironed out. His pop isn't too hot on the idea, and is packing George off to stay with his uncle and creepy cousin Sinclair in upstate New York, while he spends a month in Paris. And Woody's bosses at the record company still have to buy the idea. There's this strange, bug-eyed guy everyone calls Superman who has to give the go-ahead?"

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2016 comments Emily wrote: ""Sultan and the Rock Star" is a movie. Any search for that as the title of a book comes up empty. I have not been able to locate any tie-in books. It seems likely that the movie was based on a bo..."

Sorry about that. I'll keep looking.

message 9: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Looks like Sultan in the Disney episode is a Bengal tiger, and you can watch trailers; looks like the whole thing is online, might be at a fee. It was reissued as Hunter and the Rock Star, and it starred Timothy Hutton.

Which may not help with finding the book, of course.

message 10: by Dylan (last edited Aug 20, 2013 05:52PM) (new)

Dylan (dyarch) | 139 comments Sultan and the Rock Star is based on Sandy And The Rock Star by Walt Morey.

Edit: Amazon has more details about the book: http://www.amazon.com/Sandy-Rock-Star...

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Since Amazon now owns GR, I went ahead and added the description blurb to our book page.

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Oh, thanks, Lobstergirl, for letting me know there's a sequel to The Teddy Bear Habit. It was a pretty good book, funny misadventures mostly, and I can imagine the sequel including a lion.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37342 comments Mod
Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Oh, thanks, Lobstergirl, for letting me know there's a sequel to The Teddy Bear Habit. It was a pretty good book, funny misadventures mostly, and I can imagine the sequel including a lion."

I loved The Teddy Bear Habit but I don't remember anything about it except jewels (?) hidden in a teddy bear? I suspect it's one of those childhood books that wouldn't age well.

message 14: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 136 comments Sandy and the Rock Star it is! Thank you everyone!

message 15: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1042 comments I recently reread The Teddy Bear Habit and it's still very funny. I'm understanding a lot of jokes I didn't "get" as a kid.

message 16: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
OHMYGOD The Teddy Bear Habit!! Haven't thought of that one in ages. One of the first chapter books I ever read. I'm off to hunt down a used copy right NOW.

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Um, yeah, I read Teddy Bear Habit for the first time just last year... :)

Yeah for Emily we found your book!