Fahrenheit 451 Fahrenheit 451 question

Who is one of your favorite authors?
thethousanderclub thethousanderclub (last edited Jun 05, 2013 07:56PM ) Jun 05, 2013 07:55PM
Who is one of your favorite authors?

There are very few authors I return to again and again. I believe in variety and like to read books from a multitude of authors. Yet, some authors are so good, their writing so unique and excellent, that they almost demand a reader to return to their writing again and again. Ray Bradbury is one of the finest writers I have ever had the pleasure and unforgettable experience of reading. His books and short stories ought to find a place on every reader's book shelves.

See the full blog post here: http://thethousanderclub.blogspot.com...

Something Wicked This Way Comes
From the Dust Returned
Dandelion Wine

James Lee Burke
George Orwell
James Joyce
Hemingway
Steinbeck
Ken Bruen
Neil Gaiman
Michael Chabon
Joseph Heller (Catch-22 is my favorite book)

Ray Bradbury, Stephanie Pintoff, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Clive Barker, and John Connolly are all favorites. My personal goal is to own a hardback signed first edition from all my favorites. For King, I probably should take out a small loan.

Jon Great goal. For King, do not take out a loan...go to his website when a book is about to be released and find out where he is going to be signing anyw ...more
Mar 18, 2014 07:47PM

Ray Bradbury has always been one of my favorite authors - I have most of his books. Others would be Anne McCaffrey, Alice Hoffman, Isaac Asimov, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Jules Verne. If we include poetry, I would add Carl Sandberg, Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman.

Ray Bradbury, John Jakes, Isaac Asimov, Matt Christopher, George Orwell, Ernest Hemmingway, and Arthur C. Clarke.

Arthur C Clarke
Van Vogt
JRR Tolkein
Anne McCaffrey
Piers Anthony
Peter F. Hamilton
Alastair Reynolds
David Weber
John Ringo
Elizabeth Moon
Robert Jordan
Stephen King
Dan Brown

Gene (last edited Mar 19, 2014 10:05AM ) Mar 16, 2014 03:31PM   0 votes
Does anyone realize that Isaac Asimov, in his 1955 novel, The End of Eternity, predicted the current economic and social impacts of the War on Drugs?

The protagonist sees the original timeline, where Earth has a vast fleet of starships, but then these disappear in the new timeline the Eternals create, after they change history to devote the necessary financial resources toward the complete elimination of illegal drug use.

Asimov might not have produced great literature, per se, but he was one hell of a visionary. (Even if he was entirely naive about the household use of atomic-powered handtools in Foundation, lol.)

Vonnegut, Cormac McCarthy for sure, James Ellroy-I read the LA Quartet, now I'm starting American Tabloid, WOW.
Frank Herbert-only the Dune books. Douglas Adams, I've been listening to the radio scripts, funny stuff. I like Bradbury, Michael Moorcock's a good one. I like most of the Grisham I've read. Hmm, Tom Wolfe, Tom Robbins, Irvine Welsh, Brett Easton Ellis, did I say Vonnegut?
How about David Sedaris?

Megan (last edited Aug 07, 2013 12:05PM ) Aug 07, 2013 12:04PM   0 votes
The Thousander Club wrote:

"Ray Bradbury is one of the finest writers I have ever had the pleasure and unforgettable experience of reading. His books and short stories ought to find a place on every reader's book shelves."

AMEN!!!!

Henry James( A portait of a Lady; The golden bowl) ;
Fedor Dostoyevsky ( The Idiot; The Brothers Karamazov)
James Joyce( Dedalus; Ulisses);
Joseph Conrad( Lord Jim) ;
F. G. Fitzgerald( Tender is the night)

Thomas Hardy, Mary Stewart (The Merlin Trilogy), P.D. James, Elizabeth George, Paul Theroux, The Brontes, Gail Tsukiyama, Dostoyevsky..... where to stop?

rhys bowen and marie astor are two i just found. I love nora roberts, catherine coulter, joanna lindsay, suzanne brockman. good romnce writers

Nalini Singh
Ilona Andrews
Rachel Vincent
Richelle Mead
Mildred D. Taylor
Laurell K. Hamilton

VERONICA ROTH

I could list a score or more of 'favorites', but I have to admit to a real soft spot for Bradbury. His ability to make you see the ordinary in an extraordinary way (e.g., the one-paragraph preamble to The October Country), his poet's ear for rhythm in a prose sentence and his marvelous powers of description never cease to delight me. He is also unique in his recollection of what being a child was really like--something most of us were happy to forget!

F. Scott Fitzgerald (all his books)
D.H. Lawrence (Lady Chatterly's Lover)
Colleen McCullough (The Thorne Birds)
Margaret Mitchell (Gone With The Wind)

I think The Thorne Birds might just edge out Gone With The Wind for my very favorite book of all time. How could it not? The love story was even more impossible than Scarlett's and Rhett's! And Lady Chatterly is a close third. Each of these books I would--and have--read again and again and the characters are a part of me.

And yes you can add Heinlein to the list and quite a few of the older authors. I havent gone through my library to pick out authors. I tend to focus on plots and characters and series. The Robot Series, the Foundation Series, the Wheel of Time, the Lordof the Rings, etc...

deleted member Jul 02, 2013 12:45PM   0 votes
I love myself and how I write, so I'm my favourite author.

Emily Williamson One of my favorite authors is James Patterson. I return to his work regularly! A new favorite is Chevy Stevens!
Mar 19, 2014 11:51AM

John Brunner

deleted member Dec 17, 2013 02:55PM   0 votes
David Baldacci

I am of the opinion that you can only have one "favorite" author unless you break your reading by genre or by decade or gender or some other criteria.

If the latter, then I suppose you could have multiple favorites if you have a favorite for each category you devised: mystery, suspense, romance, fiction, non-fiction, male, female, gay fiction, foreign, living, dead, south Florida, humorous.

You could have lots of favorites.

Your dilemma would then be how to choose which of your favorites is your favorite.

Preliminarily, let me be clear. Catch-22 is the best fiction novel I have ever read, but Joseph Heller is not my favorite author. He wouldn't even make it into my top 100 list of authors I've read. He was, for me at least, a one hit wonder. But what a hit it was!

Here's how I did it. Stay with me now.

As most of you know, newly released novels are for sale on Tuesday each week.

So, I asked myself the hypothetical question, if all of the authors (dead or alive) I've read over the years released a book next Tuesday and I bought them all, which author's book would I read first? It's a simple question but a very difficult decision to make depending on how much you read.

In my case, I would have about 75 different authors to consider. I didn't break it down by genre.

Would it be John D. MacDonald or Carl Hiaasen or Robert B Parker or Michael Connelly, or Don Winslow or Gregory Mcdonald or a new addition to his Trace series by Lawrence Block. Cussler or Lee Child? Dostoyevsky or Tom Clancy?

It might have been interesting to put 65 of my authors' names into a college March Madness basketball tournament bracket.

If I did that, my Final Four would have been Carl Hiaasen, John D. MacDonald, Don Winslow and Dan Jenkins.

John D. MacDonald would defeat Carl Hiaasen in one semi-final and Dan Jenkins would defeat Don Winslow in the other semi.

In the final, Dan Jenkins would defeat John D. MacDonald....in double OT.

Don Winslow would beat Carl Hiaasen in the consolation final for third place.

I would have to agree with Ray Bradbury. I also love Dan Brown, Steve Berry, James Rollins, Mitch Albom, George Orwell, Lee Child, and Dennis Lehane.

John Green and Douglas Adams (I loved the way that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was written.)

Bradbury has been my absolute favorite for decades. I have to say that the first author to even challenge his place in my heart was Robin McKinley.

Charlotte Bronte
Laura Levine
Ann Radcliffe

just a few of my favorites:
Amy Thomson
Sharon Kay Penman
James Clavell
Margaret Atwood
Margaret George
Nero Wolfe
Michael chrichton

Ken Bruen hands down. then
Robinson Davies
Raymond Chandler
Reginald Hill
John Kennedy Toole (CofDunces is top five for me)

Gene Wolfe
Haruki Murakami
Angela Carter
Catherynne M Valente
Michael Chabon
John Barth
Robert Coover
David Foster Wallace
Raymond Carver
...and I strongly suspect, on the evidence of the very few short stories I've read so far, that Ken Liu is someone whose future works I'm going to find it very hard to ignore.

My favorites are: Gabriel Garcia Marquez, D.H. Lawrence, Hermann Hesse, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Frank Miller, Robert Hicks, Edgar Rice Burroughs and, of course, William Shakespeare.

This is easy to type

Sharyn McCrumb
Jodi Picoult
JA Jance
Nevada Barr
Chris Boujahlain
Harlen Coban
James A Doss
I've read most or all of their books and am always looking for the next one!

deleted member Jun 19, 2013 01:41PM   0 votes
The Thousander Club wrote: "Who is one of your favorite authors?

There are very few authors I return to again and again. I believe in variety and like to read books from a multitude of authors. Yet, some authors are so goo..."

Currently I would say Michael R. Hicks. His "In Her Name" series was fresh and NOT predictable; his Harvest series is outstanding.

There are many incredibly talented authors, and I've read their books. However, I think a question posed like this requires an answer that takes into account which author you read more often than others, which one do you fall back on for an entertaining read?

For me, that author is Lee Childs.

I think that he is more adept than most of the other 'best-selling' authors at keeping my interest, suspenseful writing, good story-telling, and not boring me to tears (as Stephen King often does).

James Joyce, William Shakespeare, John Milton, and Michael Crichton 'cause I grew up with him.

William Kent Krueger,Michael O'Brien, Sigrid Undset, Jan Karon, Nevada Barr, Tony Hillerman, Stephanie Landsem, Anne Greenwood Brown, Catherine Coulter, Michael Crichton, Kathryn Stockett,Julie Kramer, etc., etc., etc.!

Mia (last edited Jun 06, 2013 11:26AM ) Jun 06, 2013 11:25AM   0 votes
Richard Yates, Michael Chabon, Peter S. Beagle, and Tennessee Williams. Neil Gaiman's also pretty high up on my fav authors list.

For me it is definitely:
Kelley Armstrong
Patricia Briggs
The Bronte's
Jane Austen
Oscar Wilde
Holly Black

Jane Austen
J.K Rowling
Rick Riordan (YA books)
Dr. Suess
Laura Halsie Anderson
Jenniffer Donnelly (Revolution only)
Dan Brown (Da Vinci Code)
Arthur Conan Doyle
Margaret Peterson Haddix

loads of others...

Vladimir Nabokov, Samuel Beckett, Philip K. Dick, Robert E. Howard, William Shakespeare, Flannery O'Connor, H. P. Lovecraft, Fritz Leiber, Patrick O'Brian, Robert Heinlein (except his late stuff), Ray Bradbury (except his late stuff), Dashiell Hammett, Mark Twain, H. Rider Haggard, Frantz Kafka, Nicolai Gogol, Harvey Click...

JANE AUSTEN

James Carlos Blake (if you haven't read him, you owe it to yourself)
Carlos Ruiz Zafon
John Irving
Ray Bradbury
Pat Conroy
John Connolly
James Lee Burke
Michael Connelly
Stephen King
Peter Straub
Michael Chabon
Caleb Carr
W.E.B. Griffin
Elmore Leonard
Robert Heinlein
Robert R. McCammon
James Alexander Thom
Philip Roth

Bob (last edited Dec 12, 2013 09:28AM ) Dec 12, 2013 09:27AM   0 votes
You mean novelists? You mean lately? Tastes have changed over time; lately I've enjoyed (in no particular order)

Martin Cruz Smith
John le Carré
Carl Hiaasen
Ian Rankin
John Scalzi

But of course Mark Twain, Douglas Adams, John Kennedy Toole, Tom Sharpe, Tom Robbins, Tom Stoppard, Kurt Vonnegut, Nick Hornby, Thomas Mann, Friedrich Dürrenmatt, Stanislaw Lem, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, and Ray Bradbury all have footage on my shelves.

Among regional novelists, George Vukelich (Fisherman's Beach). Among more recently published authors, Peter Heller (The Dog Stars).

That's before we even broach the subject of sportswriters...

I find very few single books as good enough to buy or even read completely at times. I find that most series that have at least three books in them, have the depth of character development and complex enough plot line to make it a good read. Some like, Kieth Laumer are good for the sheer hilarity of it, others like Reynolds and Hamilton are good for complex, far reaching plots.

Steven Brust and Douglas Adams

I'm partial to Ann Rule, Deanne Stillman, Barbara Pym, Charles Dickens, too many to list.

Off the top of my head:

Stephen King
Khaled Hosseini
Amy Tan
Stieg Larsson
Judy Blume and S.E. Hinton (childhood favorites)

Marquez Fitzgerald Tolstoy

Bradbury, Austen, All three Brontes (Anne wrote two great books that are unfairly overlooked), Winston Churchill's histories, Hurston, Wright, Hughes, Fitzgerald, Atwood, Christie, Mary Higgins Clark, Vonnegut, Zusak, Tolkien... this list is too long...

Elliot Perlman
Carson McCullers
Chuck Palahniuk
Ernest Hemingway
Douglas Coupland

Bulgakov,
Selindger,
Saroyan,
Nabokov,
A. Tolstoy,
Strugatskie,
Cotzee,
Turgenev...

Books that have affected be deeply include works by Bradbury, Khaled Hosseni, Frank McCourt. For laughter and a light heart I read Carl Hiasen, Christopher Moore, Dave Barry, and David Sedaris. Asimov has to be included in my list. For casual reading (and I do a LOT of it) Anne McCaffery, Lee Child, Louis Lamour, Dick Francis...ah...there are too many to list. I love to dive into imagination with a good story!

« previous 1