Horror Aficionados discussion

Boy's Life
This topic is about Boy's Life
Novels > Boy's Life - Robert McCammon WARNING SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 126 (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Kate | 3520 comments Hi everyone,

I'm reading Boy's Life at the moment and I thought it would be good to set up a thread to discuss it as I read. I'm hoping that some of you will oblige me and join in for a discussion of the book.

At the moment I'm not very far in, only CH3 but the sense of nostalgia he has created is bringing a flood of memories back from my childhood. I've been thinking longingly back to those carefree days where everything is an adventure.

Highlights in the first few chapters:

The knowledge that the killer had to be local and the effect this has on Cory's father.
The movie theatre scene made me laugh especially the theatre manager wondering why the kids were so quiet during the movie.
Cory seeing the reality of his friends homelife, much scarier than an alien invasion.

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I wish I didn't have so much on my reading plate or I'd give serious thought to re-reading it along with you, Kate. More than willing to join in the chat, though. It's been years since I read it, however, so no doubt I've forgotten a good bit.

Kate | 3520 comments Bouncing a few comments around with me Walter,would be great. It didn't look like anyone was interested in buddy reading it but I still wanted to discuss it with a few people. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book. It was slower than I usually go for and it was a long read but I enjoyed every moment.
It made me nostalgic too. And I like the idea that each of us know 'magic' when we are young and it is only as adults that we forget. This book was like remembering those days.

Char  | 13450 comments Mod
This book is all about that magic. :)
It brings some of that magic back. At least it does for me.

Kate | 3520 comments I love the world through Cory's eyes. His innocent view of the world and what goes on in it makes it all the more 'magical'. I'm thinking Mr McCammon must have a fair amount of magic left in him, himself. :)

This is going to be a slow read for me too, Traci. I've been trying to read shorter novels and novellas and have really balked at a longer read but I couldn't resist it any longer.

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
You'll wonder why you waited so long, Kate. :)

message 8: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'll join you! I'm 3/4 of the way done and savoring every word.

I agree, it's a slow read. By no means boring! For me it's because I seem to take in every word or it congers up a memory from my childhood. I love this book, it will get a 5 star rating when I'm finished.

Kate | 3520 comments I'm already wondering that, Jon. I should have read this months ago. :)

message 10: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Jon Recluse wrote: "You'll wonder why you waited so long, Kate. :)"

That's the way I feel, too! I can see myself reading this again someday.

message 11: by Kate (last edited Jun 06, 2013 06:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Eileen wrote: "I'll join you! I'm 3/4 of the way done and savoring every word.

I agree, it's a slow read. By no means boring! For me it's because I seem to take in every word or it congers up a memory from my ch..."

Yay, Eileen. :)
I feel exactly the same way which is why I was bursting to talk about it.
This book, even after just a few chapters, stirred up so much from my childhood. The friendships, the adventures you had every day, the 'treasures' you accumulated that meant something only to you and the memories of growing up with your family both good and bad.
I'm going to read a bit more before going to bed. :)

I've reread Boy's Life many times.

It's like coming home again. :)

message 13: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Kate, happy reading!

Jon, the boys rising their bikes, brings me back to my bike riding days and my blue Schwinn(?) bike. Back then 3 speeds first came out and my friends and I rode our bikes to the zoo, which was about 2 miles from home. Everyone's bike was stolen that day but mine. Nobody wanted my old fashion Schwinn.

That reminds me of my old bike, Eileen. I forget what the "hot" bike was at the time, but I never had to lock up mine. It was the color of a new penny and had no speeds. :)

message 15: by Eileen (new)

Eileen We're around the same age and bikes didn't have speeds back then. I just remember the new bikes coming out had gears where you could shift speeds. I just know it was before the "banana seat" bikes came out.

Graeme Reynolds (graemereynolds) | 94 comments This is probably my favourite book of all time, and also to date the only book that I first read electronically and then went out and bought the paperback.

For me, the moment where I really got what McCammon was doing was where the boys broke up from school and went flying over the town with their dogs. He paints such a vivid picture of the scene, and at the end of it you realise that its just a bunch of boys running around a field with their arms stretched out as wings. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face when the penny finally dropped.

You're 12, too? ;)

Banana seats and monkey handlebars!

message 18: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Jon Recluse wrote: "You're 12, too? ;)

Banana seats and monkey handlebars!"

No, I'm 13! Haha I'm older!

message 19: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Graeme wrote: "This is probably my favourite book of all time, and also to date the only book that I first read electronically and then went out and bought the paperback.

For me, the moment where I really got wh..."

I loved that scene so much I read it over again. The magic of being young!

Schwinn Stingrays!
Those were the bikes with the gear shift!

message 21: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Thanks, I didn't have one of those. I'm going to have to go look for a picture now.

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I remember those bikes. My brothers and I got them for Christmas. Mine was green, with the monkey handlebars, banana seat, and gear shift.

I don't have a surplus of good childhood memories, but that was definitely one of them. :)

message 23: by Eileen (new)

Eileen This picture is pretty close to my bike as a kid. I didn't have a light on mine...I had a bell, lol.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_19...

My favorite childhood memory about my bike was the night I was riding home from my friend's house, and I looked over my shoulder to see the biggest autumn moon I ever saw rising behind me.
I raced the moon home that night. :)

message 25: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Walter wrote: "I remember those bikes. My brothers and I got them for Christmas. Mine was green, with the monkey handlebars, banana seat, and gear shift.

I don't have a surplus of good childhood memories, but th..."

Nothing like a new bike for Christmas!

message 26: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Jon Recluse wrote: "My favorite childhood memory about my bike was the night I was riding home from my friend's house, and I looked over my shoulder to see the biggest autumn moon I ever saw rising behind me.
I raced ..."

That sounds wonderful!

Don't know if it's my favorite memory, while riding my bike I was chasing my shadow and rode straight into a parked car. Just thinking about it now I'm cracking myself up.

ROFLMAO! :)

message 28: by Eileen (new)

Eileen It's pretty darn funny!!!!!!!

I'm going to laugh about it all day now.

It's great when you can look back at stuff like that and laugh. :)

Walter wrote: "I remember those bikes. My brothers and I got them for Christmas. Mine was green, with the monkey handlebars, banana seat, and gear shift.

I don't have a surplus of good childhood memories, but th..."

I'm glad you at least had this memory, Walter.

message 31: by Eileen (new)

Eileen What else can you do? We've all done stupid things as kids and you gotta laugh at the ones you've lived through.

I loved my bike so much. I don't remember what kind it was, but it did have streamers coming from the handlebars and I could ride that thing like the wind.

I just remember feeling...free. Not something you feel very often as an adult, you know?

Eileen wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "My favorite childhood memory about my bike was the night I was riding home from my friend's house, and I looked over my shoulder to see the biggest autumn moon I ever saw rising..."

ROFL Eileen, about chasing your shadow. :)

Eileen wrote: "What else can you do? We've all done stupid things as kids and you gotta laugh at the ones you've lived through."

I'm lucky I survived my childhood.
I turned stupid into an Olympic event.

I used to jump off of swings. I would have contests with my own self to see how far away I could get. And guess what? I won! LOL

YAY!

message 37: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Jon Recluse wrote: "Eileen wrote: "What else can you do? We've all done stupid things as kids and you gotta laugh at the ones you've lived through."

I turned stupid into an Olympic ..."

I doubt that. ; )

message 38: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Charlene wrote: "I used to jump off of swings. I would have contests with my own self to see how far away I could get. And guess what? I won! LOL"

LOL, it would have been awful if you lost!

Eileen wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "Eileen wrote: "What else can you do? We've all done stupid things as kids and you gotta laugh at the ones you've lived through."

I turned stu..."

My summer vacations, in order:

Snake bite
Smashed hand in car door
Fractured skull/removed all skin from back

My guardian angel drank.

Oh man, that's no good!

I survived my childhood in spite of me. :)

message 42: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Ohhh...Jon...that's horrible!

You poor thing.

I was having fun.

And I found out I'm indestructible.

What more can you ask for? ;)

Trouble is, you start feeling all that stuff as you get older.
Which this book makes you forget for a while, and even if you do remember it, you say to yourself "Eff it, it was worth it!"
OR maybe it's just me who says that. I dunno. :)

If you wanna know how I feel, come on over and feel me. ;)

Yes, it does!

I say "Eff it" all the time! ;)

HA! You're too much, Jon. :)

:)

message 48: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Jon Recluse wrote: "If you wanna know how I feel, come on over and feel me. ;)

Yes, it does!

I say "Eff it" all the time! ;)"

You do make me laugh!

*as I'm shaking my head*

I would enjoy hearing your mother's side of these events.

I once accidently set myself on fire and my mom didn't notice......she was playing mahjong with her friends in the kitchen. I was going out, so I was filling my Zippo lighter. 5' away from my mom. The lighter leaked. I tested it and my arm burst into flames. My sister, who was in another room noticed. She saw the reflection of the flames in the tv. She told my mom about it later. :)

message 50: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I don't know if I should laugh or cry, lol.

I'm just happy you survivored your childhood! The world would be a terrible place without you!

« previous 1 3