2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Princess Bride
This topic is about The Princess Bride
ARCHIVE 2013 > The Princess Bride: Reviews by 2013 Reading Challengers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments Let us know what you thought!

Please be sure to mark your spoilers--some members who have not yet read the book may be checking out this thread.

Rachel Nelson (suitedforliterature) | 167 comments I read this book last month and even though it was SO SIMILAR to the movie (as it should be since William Goldman wrote the movie's screenplay as well), I thought the read was a lot of fun. It's been on my TBR list for a while and was well worth the time as I was very entertained. There was the joy of the familiar line and the thrill of the additional pieces of the story (mostly individual characters' back-stories). The ending wasn't my favorite, but it didn't spoil anything for me since I think the only reason I didn't like it was because it varied a bit from the movie. Enjoy!

Cherise (inkdrinkingmoth) I just finished it. Personally, I thought it was okay. It wasn't my favourite. The story itself was good. The parts I couldn't stand? When the author butted in. I personally thought he butted in too much and he wasn't a likeable person. He cut too much as well. And the last part of the book I seriously just wanted to close it and be done when he went on and on about his lawsuit (it's part of the anniversary books, I think). The story would have been more likeable if he shut his mouth and focused on the tail itself. It was an interesting story and one that does grip you. But it still wasn't my all time favourite. I'm happy I read it so I can say I did, but I didn't really take much else from it. I think I might have liked the story a lot more if I had been younger and first read it. But now, not really.

message 4: by Megan, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan (lahairoi) | 6293 comments This book surprised me, mostly because I didn't expect the author to pretend it was based on a history and that he was abridging a classic novel. After I figured that out, the humor of the entire book was great. I did not particularly care for all of the information regarding the author's family, mostly because if they were real, I feel bad for them. Definitely worth reading. 4 out of 5 stars

Londa (londalocs) | 117 comments I may be one of the few people who have never watched the entire movie "The Princess Bride" I always seem to catch it in the beginning or the end. I guess it never interested me enough to seek out the movie and watch the entire thing. That should have been my first clue...

It's not that I didn't find the book clever. I did. Once I figured out the Morgenstern thing, I realized what an imaginative concept Goldman had put to pen. The edition I read had 2 introductions (which I skimmed) and the Buttercup's Baby section. I could have done without all the extras. I didn't really find them all that interesting.

The story itself would have been much much better without all of the 'explanations and interruptions' They really started to grind on my nerves.

As for the story... my favorite characters were not the main characters. I enjoyed the sections with Inigo and Fezzik the most. Westley was cruel to Buttercup and his 'love' for her could just as easily be interpreted as possessiveness. (view spoiler) I didn't see him as a knight in shining armor at all. Buttercups personality is flat and dull as well. I just couldn't really sympathize with her at all.

There were some funny parts, but nothing really laugh out loud funny to me. I was happy when I finished.

Overall, it was okay and there were several sections that held my attention. I just didn't enjoy the book enough to give it more than 3 stars. As the goodreads ratings attest, most readers don't agree with me on this one.