Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Huge mindblown from the first book.

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dakota Griffin The very first thing Snape says to Harry Potter is this..

"Potter! What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

This is actually the Victorian Language of Flowers, and when translated, it reads..

"I bitterly regret Lily's death"

Snapes very first words to Harry were an apology.

I'm sure most of you know this by now, but for those that don't, this is simply amazing.

Randi huh?

Randi Oh, MAN! I just looked that up! This is fantastic!

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Holy Crap! that is amazing, J.K Rowling is a genius. thanks Dakota :D

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

...oh wow.

...oh my god.

...oh my freaking god that is amazing.

Dakota Griffin Other fun facts (I learned all these by googling)

MILD SPOILERS FOR ENTIRE BOOK SERIES, NOTHING TOO MAJOR

1)The kid who played Baby Harry in the 1st movie plays his son in the 7th movie

2) Aunt Petunia mentions that dementors guard Azkaban, Harry asks how she knows this, and Petunia mentions she overheard her sister talking to that awful wizard. Most people think it's James, but Lily was actually talking to Snape, as revealed in a later book.

3) The snake that Harry frees in the 1st book is actually Nagini

4)JK Rowling has stated that Lily was pregnant when she died, and had talked James into making peace with Snape. Snape was supposed to be the childs godfather

5) Voldermorts Boggart would be himself, since he fears Death the most.

6) Severus Snape is the only Death Eater that can produce a Patronus

7) Snape hates Nevile because he could have been the chosen one, meaning Lily would still be alive.

8) Voldermort cannot love because he was conceived under the effects of a love potion

9) Dumbledoor was gay

10) Even if the world of Harry Potter did exist, you are now realizing you are still a muggle.

message 7: by Dan (last edited Jun 07, 2013 05:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Here is another mind-blowing fact. (SPOILERS!!)

In Prisoner of Azkaban, Professor Trelawney says to Harry during class, "Would I be wrong in saying that you were born in the middle of winter?"

Everybody laughs when Harry tells her that he was born in July, and it appears that Rowling put this in to make Trelawney appear a fraud, but in actuality, Trelawney is trully "Seeing". She is reading the piece of Voldemort's soul that was inside of Harry, which nobody knew about yet. Voldemort was born on New Year's, which is the middle of winter...

Razif Falyan Ardharu Dakota, I've read that Lucius also can make a patronus. His patronus is peacock.

Dakota Griffin The least successful Harry Potter film still grossed more than the most successful Twilight film.

Razif Falyan Ardharu Dakota wrote: "The least successful Harry Potter film still grossed more than the most successful Twilight film."

Of course! Harry Potter's movies much better than Twilight! :p

Dakota Griffin I honestly don't bother with Twilight, and I think the haters are 10x worse then the fans.

But anyway, it's amazing to see all of the foreshadowing and little hints and mindblows from the series that J.K Rowling put in.

message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan When Mr. Weasley takes Harry to the Ministry of Magic, they enter through a phonebooth. Inside the phonebooth, Mr. Weasley punches numbers on the phone.

"No, no, I’m sure it’s fine,” said Mr. Weasley, holding the receiver above his head and peering at the dial. “let’s see…six…” he dialed the number, “two…four…and another four…and another two…”

The number they dial is 62442. If you look on a standard telephone, there are letters underneath the numbers. What five-letter word would JK Rowling use for the Ministry? MAGIC.

message 13: by Dan (last edited Jun 07, 2013 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan There is also the scene in the Half-Blood Prince (I believe) where Dumbledore is with Harry and he tells Harry to bring his Invisibility Cloak with him.

While they are together, Harry mentions being in danger, to which Dumbledore responds with "We are not in danger." Harry asks "Why not, sir?" Dumbledore answers, "You are with me, Harry."

At first, I just assumed that this meant because Dumbledore was such a powerful wizard and would be able to defend Harry if need-be. But, as we later learn, Dumbledore possessed the Elder Wand and later found the Resurrection Stone, which he wore as a ring. Once he told Harry to bring his Invisibility Clock along, Dumbledore posessed all three of the Deathly Hallows at the same time, thus becoming the master of death.

That is why he told Harry that he was safe....Mindblown? I think so....

Dakota Griffin The last thing that Harry Potter says to Dobby at the end of Chamber of Secrets is

"..just never try to save my life again"

We all know what happens later.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Honestly, the fandom does not give Ms. Rowling enough credit.

message 16: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy Dakota wrote: "Other fun facts (I learned all these by googling)

2) Aunt ..."

Number 3 is wrong. Many people (there have been lots of past threads about this rumour) think that they're the same snake but JK Rowling herself said that they're not. They're different species of snake or something.

Katie Mauger Dakota wrote: "Other fun facts (I learned all these by googling)

2) Aunt ..."

The only ones here that I know to be true are number 2 (because it's actually in the books), and number 10 (because, obviously). I think that number 7 may be true (because it does make sense), and I think that J.K. did actually say number 9 is true.

The rest I am pretty sure are just internet rumors. The snake Harry set free was a boa constrictor (and I think male.) Nagini is venomous and female. Plus Voldemort met Nagini in Albania and the boa was on its way back to Brazil... The rest I can't DISprove, but I don't think they can be PROVEN either...

Dakota Griffin Most of my numbers have come from research done over various snippets and things J.K Rowling has stated in interviews

5,6, and 8 are the only ones where I could not find any actual proof of saying, and were found only discussed in various forums.

As for Nagini, JK rowling has gone on record and said how it's funny that nobody ever thought the snake was Nagini.

As for Number 1, I don't know since I can't seem to find anything on the internet relating to the cast

Dakota Griffin That tumblr confession doesn't have any more proof than I do regarding the information I have stated. Who honestly knows what's true or false anymore on the internet.

message 20: by Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall (last edited Jun 07, 2013 02:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall ☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "Honestly, the fandom does not give Ms. Rowling enough credit."

Definitely.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Rowenna! Hello!

Catherine! Hello also!

These are amazing, aren't they???

message 22: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna J.K. Rowling is a genius! We didn't know that Snape even knew Lily until the fifth book! And in the very first book, Rowling has Snape apologize to Harry. And in a nearly archaic language. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

message 23: by Kaili (new) - added it

Kaili Ahh J.K Rowling, you never fail to amaze me.

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Anastasia Inkyfingers - Rider of Thestrals wrote: "Rowenna! Hello!

Catherine! Hello also!

These are amazing, aren't they???"

Hello! Rider of Thestrals are you now, huh? ;)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup! They're not very comfy, but oh well.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I quite like changing names every now and them... I'll always keep the Anastasia Inkyfingers bit, though.

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Anastasia Inkyfingers - Rider of Thestrals wrote: "I quite like changing names every now and them... I'll always keep the Anastasia Inkyfingers bit, though."

Yeah that way it doesn't get confusing (to avoid spamming can we communicate via messages? and only say hi on threads?) LMK

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok!!

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Anastasia Inkyfingers - Rider of Thestrals wrote: "Ok!!"

It's no big deal, but thanks ;)

Jasmine J wow JK ROWLING cant stop amazing us :)
shes a genius

Emily Fuller WOW!!!

Linnea Ok, JK Rowling is just amazing. Anyone willing to join me in the fight for Dumbledore in hobbit discussion gandalf vs Dumbledore? There are some ignorant potter-haters out there...it's pretty funny :)

message 33: by Grace (new)

Grace Swanson Look up Dark Lord Funk on YouTube,
It's awesome!!!

message 34: by Grace (new)

Grace Swanson Did you know Voldemort is supposed to be pronounced Voldemor
the T is silent!!

Charlotte It isn't fully known whether baby harry and albert Severus where the same person.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questi...

Natalya Kozlovski OMG! These facts are so cool! I am such a Harry Potter nerd. Really want to visit HP World this summer. Is it okay if I share these with my friends?