UK Book Club discussion

Random Chit-Chat > Endings

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy Bird | 223 comments No matter how good, what really makes a book brilliant is it's ending.

What books have had the best endings?

Some of my favourites are Ender's Game, One Day and Odd Thomas.

Please mark any spoilers.

message 2: by Jules (last edited Jun 05, 2013 02:40PM) (new)

Jules | 68 comments I loved the ending of The Passage. I didn't realize there were going to be any sequels and I just loved the tragedy of not knowing what happened to them. This is one of the reasons why I was so reluctant to read The Twelve. Villette was another one I liked. It left the reader to make up their own mind.

message 3: by Susan (last edited Jun 06, 2013 07:27AM) (new)

Susan I loved the whole book, but I thought the ending of The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro was wonderful, and I re read it several times.
I also thought the ending of The Lord of the Rings was really satisfying, as we're most of Jane Austin's novels for me.

message 4: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I'm still thinking about books with great endings... I'm afraid the ones with awful ends seem to stick in the memory more!

message 5: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz The ending to The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was very good, though quite difficult to read! I agree about The Lord of the Rings; a very good ending and the opposite of some books where the story is just suddenly wrapped up in a short sentence!

message 6: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 757 comments Still love the ending of Catch-22

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Farnsworth (paul_farnsworth) | 9 comments A Tale of Two Cities springs to mind.

message 8: by Adriano (new)

Adriano Bulla (adriano_bulla) | 87 comments My all time favourite ending must be Song of Solomon's.

message 9: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
We Need to Talk About Kevin. Read it as someone else's book group choice, had no idea what the book was about bar the synopsis, so ending was utterly shocking.

message 10: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 234 comments yes ian I agree with you, also Irene by Pierre Lemaitre I was so shocked I couldn't get to sleep after finishing it

message 11: by Adriano (new)

Adriano Bulla (adriano_bulla) | 87 comments Slightly off topic, but many readers find Enduring Love's ending frustrating, instead, the fact the the story (view spoiler) is the only possible ending.

message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1102 comments Adriano wrote: "Slightly off topic, but many readers find Enduring Love's ending frustrating, instead, the fact the the story [spoilers removed] is the only possible ending."

I found the whole book frustrating, and actually threw it at the wall when I was done with it!!!

message 13: by Adriano (new)

Adriano Bulla (adriano_bulla) | 87 comments Louise wrote: "Adriano wrote: "Slightly off topic, but many readers find Enduring Love's ending frustrating, instead, the fact the the story [spoilers removed] is the only possible ending."

I found t..."

I can see why you found it frustrating. I think it's meant to be frustrating... I find it beautiful in many ways, actually outstanding, yet solipsism has no solution, so, I myself became frustrated when I saw that it wasn't going to attempt to find one. It gets almost there, but then gives up. In general, I have issues with all Post-Modernist books. Not that I don't like them, I just think they've taken a cul de sac...

message 14: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz Paul wrote: "A Tale of Two Cities springs to mind."

Yes, that is a good one. In non-fiction I think Darwin's The Origin of Species has a fantastic ending, his 'tangled bank' paragraph:

"It is interesting to contemplate a tangled bank, clothed with many plants of many kinds, with birds singing on the bushes, with various insects flitting about, and with worms crawling through the damp earth, and to reflect that these elaborately constructed forms, so different from each other, and dependent upon each other in so complex a manner, have all been produced by laws acting around us. These laws, taken in the largest sense, being Growth with reproduction; Inheritance which is almost implied by reproduction; Variability from the indirect and direct action of the conditions of life, and from use and disuse; a Ratio of Increase so high as to lead to a Struggle for Life, and as a consequence to Natural Selection, entailing Divergence of Character and the Extinction of less improved forms. Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone circling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being evolved."

The start and end of that give me goosebumps. He does get a bit heavy in the middle of it though!