Jane Austen discussion

Fan Fiction/Continuations > Melanie Schertz

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Has anyone read any of her work? I wondered if her variations/what ifs are clean or not?

message 2: by vard (new)

vard | 28 comments Her reviews on Amazon are mediocre. Why did you choose her works over other authors with higher ratings? Just curious. Some clean JAFF is Pamela Aidan and Kara Louise.

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I was just wondering about them as it is hard to find clean Ones. I have read and enjoyed...
Kara Louise:
Darcy's Voyage
(Bought from this author as well to read soon... Pirates and Prejudice, Only Mr Darcy Will Do and Assumed Engagement)

Read from KaraLynne Mackrory:
Falling for Mr Darcy
Bluebells in the Mourning

From Elizabeth Adams:
The Houseguest

I also have to read...
By Jan Hahn:
The Journey
An Arranged Marriage

And to read by Cassandra Grafton:
A Fair Prospect
- Disappointed Hopes
- Darcy's Dilemma
- Desperate Measures

You recommend the Pamela Aidan trilogy then? Any others?

message 4: by vard (new)

vard | 28 comments I'm a huge fan of the Pamela Aidan trilogy. I felt I actually learned something from the Pamela Aidan trilogy, unlike most fan fiction. Aidan did a ton of research and it shows.

I've read a fair amount of JAFF and most of it is either not very well written, or sexually explicit, or both. I don't mind the sexual explicitness but I hate the stuff that's poorly written, and badly written smut is the WORST.

The Abigail Reynolds books, for example, are sexually explicit but generally quite well written.

Kara Louise's books are not as well written or edited as Aidan or Reynolds but the ones I've read were not sexually explicit. The first one of hers I read was Something Like Regret, which is mostly pretty good.

If you are interested in non-P&P FF you should definitely read Jane Fairfax, by Joan Aiken, which provides Jane's whole backstory before the events of Emma, and retells the events of Emma from Jane's point of view (just the way Aidan does with P&P and Darcy). It's terrific.

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Thank you for the suggestions. :) I have heard the Abigail Reynolds books are good and the stories sound brilliant but I also heard they are sexually explicit. How bad are they would you say? Any which are not as bad?

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 123 comments Are you looking specifically for romances? I'm currently reading Death Comes to Pemberley, which I've heard is good, but I'm not far enough along yet to recommend it per se.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I am more interested in variations and what ifs as apposed to continuations and stories after they are married. I like reading different ways of the couples coming together :)

I have heard a lot about death comes to Pemberley and it is being made into a film/tv series (not sure which) I believe.

Let me know how it goes on please :)