Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Looking For a Book About.. > Authors like Michener or Rutherfurd

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diego (new)

Diego (gambitox) | 71 comments Hello everyone.

Has anyone come across with an author of the style of James A. Michener or Edward Rutherfurd.

I wish I could find more fiction that span the history of a region in the form of different stories like these guys do.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments The only author I can think of right now is Leon Uris

message 3: by Mark (new)

message 4: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Those two author images belong to John Jakes and James Clavell.

On a touchscreen one can only touch the image and go to the profile to find out who they are. We can't hover a mouse over them to see their name. :-)

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark | 1874 comments Terri wrote: "Those two author images belong to John Jakes and James Clavell.

On a touchscreen one can only touch the image and go to the profile to find out who they are. We can't hover a mouse over them to se..."

sorry Terri i forgot about the touch screen members. which is bad as i am one some the time.

message 6: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I am only a part time touchscreener too. Sometimes I am on laptop, sometimes Tablet. Today? Tablet. :-)

message 7: by Diego (new)

Diego (gambitox) | 71 comments Thank you guys. I do like Jakes and Clavell. Uris' Trinity was kinda dissapointing.

I do was aiming at generational sagas, but more books like those of Sarum: The Novel of England, London, The Source, Poland, etc. where the novel spans over centuries and centuries of history.

But ok, let's see what else do you have, throw me!

message 8: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Afraid I have nothing for you. I don't like that sort of short story novel, so haven't really investigated.
The two you name in the thread title are the only two that i know do it.
And I imagine you have alread found
Ken Follett

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I don't see any other authors doing those kind of books. I know of only one other book I can recommend that focuses on the city, Roma: The Novel of Ancient Rome by Steven Saylor

message 10: by Diego (last edited Jun 05, 2013 08:55PM) (new)

Diego (gambitox) | 71 comments Terri wrote: "And I imagine you have alread found
Ken Follett"

Yup. Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorites :)

Good call Dawn! I'm gonna add this one to my wish list too, The Seven Wonders. Journey adventures is another one of my favorite subjects

message 11: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I'll keep an eye out for you though, Diego. :)

For some reason I keep thinking I know of another and yet I am drawing a blank.
It may take a couple days to pry it out of my brain.

message 12: by Diego (last edited Jun 06, 2013 07:25AM) (new)

Diego (gambitox) | 71 comments Thanks Terri. I've been doing lots of browsing myself.

Just as Rutherfurd is considered by many a worthy successor to Michener, apparently no one else has arisen to continue this style of novel. And Edward is not getting any younger :(

message 13: by Hudson (new)

Hudson (bostonrich) | 8 comments Wow, those two really OWN that sub-genre, don't they? Love them both and I am not aware of other authors with similar stories. I hope someone on here does!

message 14: by happy (last edited Sep 30, 2013 11:00AM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 2694 comments Steven Saylor's

Roma The Novel of Ancient Rome (Roma, #1) by Steven Saylor and

Empire The Novel of Imperial Rome (Roma #2) by Steven Saylor

might fit. They cover Rome from Rome founding thru the reign of Hadrian? He uses two families to tell the story

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | 36 comments I think Saylor's history is pretty good in Roma and Empire, but I don't think that the writing or the storytelling is nearly as good as his Gordianus the Finder series. I think it's because he's using short stories. Usually, the longer the book for Saylor, the better the story is - and both Roma and Empire are just collections of stories. And I thought Roma was far superior to Empire.

message 16: by happy (last edited Sep 30, 2013 10:59AM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 2694 comments I agree

message 17: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I stumbled upon this one.

Extravagance by Gary Krist Extravagance

not exactly like Michener or Rutherfurd, but it seems to be telling the stories of one man in the 17th century and one many in the 20th century

message 18: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I know this is an old request but I've come across another book that fits in here.

Brazil by Errol Lincoln Uys Brazil by Errol Lincoln Uys