Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

The Book Thief > Why did you decide to read THE BOOK THIEF?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (new)

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
The Book Thief is rated #1 as the book most often found on peoples “To be Read” pile. What prompted you to read the Book Thief? Was it recommended by a friend or did you randomly find it at a bookstore or library? Please tell us how you came to read it?

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kdrury) | 112 comments I decided to read the Book Thief because this is the first book being discussed in this online book club. Also, I have had many friends and family mention that they have read this and have been very enthusiastic about it.
I've had it on my bedside table before but it was so popular that I had to return it to the library as other people were waiting for it.
I finally checked out the ebook and managed to get it read on my iPad. I'm so glad that I finally read it - it is fabulous. I'm looking foward to hearing from others about their reasons for reading this and what they thought.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I remember hearing about it several years ago when it was published and one day I came across it at the library and decided it was time to read it. I have recommended it to so many people since then. I think it's one of those stories that stay with you awhile after you read it.

message 4: by Liana (new)

Liana Grace (lianagrace) | 26 comments My friend told me about this book years ago. I was intrigued when she told me that death was the narrator. Who doesn't want to read a book narrated by death?! :-)

message 5: by Gen (new)

Gen I think it was the title that caught me initially, and the fact that Death is the narrator. I love history, so the WWII setting also caught me. It's such a well written book, I got it from the library then bought my own copy and lent it to my mom. It's traveled to so many aunts and cousins now that I have no idea who has it! But everyone loved it!

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin | 6 comments For me, it was coming across an interview where someone described a scene where people were reading and exchanging books during air raids. The visual image stayed with me for a long time.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela | 2 comments I decided to read it because of this group. I had heard about it before, but the thought of reading yet another book set during WWII didn't thrill me. Turns out I'm really enjoying it.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Angela, I know what you mean by reading another book set around WWII. Since I tend to read a lot of historical fiction I find that half of what I read seems to take place around the war on some measure. I find that if I'm really enjoying the book it doesn't bother me but if I'm feeling a bit lukewarm about the story, the whole WWII scene can get a little tired. In the case of The Book Thief I enjoyed seeing the war from the perspective of the German people. You don't see that as often.