Movies We've Just Watched discussion

For Your Consideration

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (last edited Jan 24, 2008 10:35AM) (new)

Alison It's me again posting on some random movie that people have either never heard of or have possibly forgotten by now. I may have to start my own group called "Random Movies I've Just Watched."

I guess I have seen all of the satirical comedies by this crew--Guffman, Spinal Tap, among all the others. My husband and I have always loved Guffman. I think there's just a different kind of genius on display in Christopher Guest and cronies...that sadly gets little recognition.

But, last night, I cleared FYC off the TIVO (short at only about 90 minutes.) This may be my new favorite of the bunch. I was afraid it might be a lazy attempt to keep the ball rolling in this genre, but it was actually razor-sharp and laugh out loud funny (to me).

A lot of the same cast are back (Parker Posey, Eugene Levy) with a couple of bit parts by some of the fresher comedians on the scene (Jim Krazinski, Ricky Gervais).

I knew I was going to love this when the first scene shows Catherine O 'Hara--watching and reciting along lines with Bette Davis in Jezebel--which happens to be the next to last movie I've just watched. What a great parallel.

My new favorite guy in the world is Harry Shearer. I have seen his name all of my life, but he has never stood out to me until this movie. This guy is a genius--what he does with his body, his timing, he's so talented. And much like the character he plays, you know you know him from somewhere, but you just can't place him (was it the wiener ads?) I love it when he goes on the talk show--a hip hop TRL.

Everybody's really on their game here, and it actually feels like a game...who can get the most out of the character they've been given. But underneath, there is actually a drama being played out. Comedy turns to tragedy (isn't it always right there, beneath the surface?) And Catherine O' Hara gets one of the best last lines of all time, rivaling Anthony Perkins in irony when he looks into the camera and says he "wouldn't hurt a fly."

I recommend this to anybody who loves improv comedy and satire, awards shows and Hollywood insider drama. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but me...I really enjoyed it.

message 2: by Ellenjsmellen (new)

Ellenjsmellen | 6 comments I waited for this one from the library for a while and when I finally got to see it, I was like "eh", but recently I TIVO'd it and watched it again and liked it. Sometimes their movies have to grow on you.

message 3: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 46 comments My friend turned me on to Christopher Guest and his movies. The first one I saw was Waiting For Guffman. I thought that was great. The other movies are pretty good too. I have to say, the cast is always phenomenal. In For Your Consideration, Catherine O'Hara not only stole the movie, she was outstanding.The scene where the nominees are called is very touching.

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments Christopher Guest is a genius as far as I'm concerned. It's not hard to see why the same ensemble stars in his movies. Loved this one!

message 5: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I liked this one, but it only had a couple of laugh-out-loud moments for me - one of them being when Catherine O'Hara makes her appearance on a late-night talk show in a tight minidress, blonde wig and mask-tight facelift. My favorite Christopher Guest film in probably "Best in Show".