The Sword and Laser discussion

Lois McMaster Bujold
This topic is about Lois McMaster Bujold
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #131 - Baycon Interview with Lois McMaster Bujold

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Sybert (BenSybert) Memorial Day weekend, the Sword and Laser crew journeyed to storied Santa Clara, California for BayCon deep in the shadow of the new football stadium. Lois McMaster Bujold was the guest of honor, Veronica was the Toastmaster and they graciously allowed Tom along for the ride. Ms. Bujold was a joy to talk with and the perfect Sword & Laser interviewee, having written on both sides of the ampersand. In this supersize episode you'll hear the entire interview including some excellent questions from the audience.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2013/6/...

message 2: by Tamahome (last edited Jun 06, 2013 07:11AM) (new)

Tamahome | 5997 comments Good interview. Is she Welsh like Jo Walton, or am I bad at accents?

message 3: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 820 comments She's from Ohio.

message 4: by Tamahome (last edited Jun 06, 2013 08:30AM) (new)

Tamahome | 5997 comments I was close.

Here's her essay on the reading order: http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

message 5: by John (new)

John Wiswell | 86 comments This was wonderful, you guys. Felt privileged to be able to listen to her panel. This is a great alternative feature.

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments That was a great interview. Also, thanks so much for asking my question. (Just in general *squee* but also that question had been bugging me ever since I read Palladin.)

message 7: by Tamahome (last edited Jun 06, 2013 04:55PM) (new)

Tamahome | 5997 comments So Ben Bova predicted ebooks in his novel Cyberbooks, huh?

Bujold has the nicest and most intelligent fans. It's nice to hear an interview that's over 30 minutes.

It's seems like she's starting to review books on Goodreads as well. I just followed her reviews. http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam | 25 comments Great interview, thanks!

message 9: by Janet (new)

Janet | 51 comments Great interview, I had a gleeful shout at work today when I heard my question asked! Making me rethink my TBR order once again....

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6669 comments Mod
Where is the Bacon the threads title promised? o.O

message 11: by William (new)

William J. Meyer (williamjmeyer) "Every reader reads a different book." I like that.

message 12: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments Tamahome wrote: "So Ben Bova predicted ebooks in his novel Cyberbooks, huh?
"

And I always have to mention how Peter F Hamilton talked about online piracy and how it changed how performers and writers make money in 2002 with Misspent Youth

message 13: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Nice interview! Went by fast. I'd love to hear more from her sometime.

message 14: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments So is so personable. It was a very interesting interview.

message 15: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2432 comments Nice interview. I was amazed to hear her mention Escape From Colditz as an influence. Probably a little known, and hard to find, book in the USA but familiar to older readers in the UK. A few months back I came across a very old copy in my local 2nd hand shop and had to buy it.

message 16: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4102 comments I just realized I never actually posted in this thread. Thank you so much for doing this interview! I thought it was wonderful, she seems like a really nice person. I have only ever read her Chalion books, but I thought they were wonderful. I'm not sure how I feel about the Vorkosigan books...being touted as a "space opera" is a bit scary, as I haven't particularly enjoyed other books labeled "space opera." I believe I have the first book of the Sharing Knife series in my queue, maybe I should jump it...

Anyway, thanks for the great interview!

message 17: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments terpkristin wrote: "being touted as a "space opera" is a bit scary, as I haven't particularly enjoyed other books labeled "space opera.""

The early Vorkosigan books are a bit shorter than Chalion so you won't be investing too much time if you try The Warrior's Apprentice or Shards of Honour. (Shards was the first book in the 'verse but Warrior's Apprentice is Miles' introduction.) I think they're classed as Space Opera only because they are science fiction, but not hard science fiction, and have some blaster fire and space ships in them. In truth, they are just as much character-driven stories as any of her best work. You could pretty much convert almost any of the Vorkosigan books to fantasy just by turning the ships into horses and the wormholes to mountain passes.

Miles Vorkosigan is a fascinating and really, really entertaining character. He's worth the price of admission just for himself.

message 18: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments Terpkristin, if you pick up the Vorkosigan series at Komarr you get the Space Romance/Comedy of Manners section of the story, and should be able to pick up the backstory without too much trouble. But I like the characters in The Sharing Knife too.

Thanks guys for the long, meaty interview.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I finally got around to listening to it. What a great woman. I admire her. Thank you for asking my question as well. And yes, it's pronounced Jane :)