European Royalty discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
European Royalty Nominations > May 15 - Jun 15: Nominating

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (last edited Apr 25, 2009 08:35PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments *SCANDINAVIAN (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland) OR RUSSIAN ROYALTY*

***ANY TIME PERIOD, FICTION OR NON-FICTION***

Okay everyone, it's that time of the month - time to nominate! Anyone who would like to nominate ONE book may do so in this thread.

The theme this month is SCANDINAVIAN (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland) OR RUSSIAN ROYALTY (any time period, fiction or non-fiction). We can definitely be flexible with the Scandinavian part since there are probably fewer books out there than on other countries (born there and became monarch somewhere else or born somewhere else and moved there later, etc. - you get the idea). I threw in the Russian royalty just to give us more options, but it would be great to get some Scandanavian nominees! Queen Victoria had to have some granddaughters who made it there and I'm sure some Vikings were "royal" in their own way!

Please try to check amazon or some other site to make sure the book is easily available - the last thing we want is to nominate some great book that no one can get! If you nominate more than ONE book, only the first book listed will make it into the voting thread (so save additional books for the next months!). Also, if the book doesn't fit the theme, I won't add it to this month's voting list, but I will carry it over to the next theme that it does fit under if you would like.

Feel free to nominate one book of your choice in this thread until April 30th, 9pm Eastern.

At around that time, I'll make a voting poll and list all the nominated books in it, and people can vote in the poll until the poll closes (around end of May 4). Discussion can start on May 15th.

Happy Nominating!

message 2: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 83 comments The Lost Queen by Nora Lofts (1969)

This is a well-written work of historical fiction that will keep the reader riveted to its pages until the very end. It tells the story of Princess Caroline Mathilde of England, sister to King George III. At the age of fifteen she was wed to young King Christian VII, who eventually became known as the mad king of Denmark. Temperamental, high strung, and given to strange outbursts, his predilection for strange behavior was known early on, but despite this, the two kingdoms would still see these two wed, as the unification of England and Denmark was paramount to individual happiness.

There are copies on amazon and alibris.

message 3: by Robin (last edited Apr 26, 2009 07:54AM) (new)

Robin | 298 comments I have a book on my to read list that I think may fit into this category...

"Kari's Saga:A Novel of Viking Island" by Robert Jansson.

However, if Saxon will fit into this theme, I'd like to nominate "A Hallow Crown: The Story of Emma, Queen of Saxon England" by Helen Hollick.

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Hollow Crown by Hollick works - amazon's description even mentions a Viking King. Both of your books can be nominated Robin (and anyone else who wants to nominate two can). I'm excited to see some Scandanavian choices! I wasn't sure what was out there.

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I'll nominate Christina, Queen of Sweden The Restless Life of a European Eccentric by Veronica Buckley. Someone brought this up in a different thread, so I totally just stole your idea!

message 6: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 83 comments We can nominate two? In that case I'll also nominate:

Mother of Kings by Poul Anderson Mother of Kings by Poul Anderson

Though marketed as fantasy, this densely written, fast-paced tale, set in Norway in the 10th century during the clash of paganism and Christianity, reads more like a grandly told history describing the life of Gunnhild, the mother of Norse kings.

message 7: by Bettie (new)

Bettie I would wish to read every single one that has been nominated here so far. I have Christina, Queen of Sweden The Restless Life of a European Eccentric so I second sara's nomination but will use this thread for future referencing.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

i c'ant nominated even a single book because i have no idea of the history of that particular region.as far as voting is concered,i can vote for Christina, Queen of Sweden The Restless Life of a European Eccentric because that's the only book available from where i order books!but i have my exams in june so i don't think i would be able to take part in discussions.

message 9: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Ha ha, you're not alone suffiyan! The only book I was really aware of was the Christina one. I'm really happy that other people knew of other books about this region!

Btw, good luck on your exams!

message 10: by Bettie (last edited Apr 28, 2009 08:21AM) (new)

Bettie Flister Stephanie has just finished reading Queen Emma and the Vikings A History of Power, Love and Greed in Eleventh-Century England and then there is The Road to Jerusalem, which is the first of four books. I am not nominating these per se but just trying to open up to you what is also on offer 'out there'.

:O)

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Everything looks wonderful! This should be a fun theme :)

message 12: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Nominating is finished - time to vote!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.