Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Lowered expectations?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments I have been giving a lot of thought to Carleen's question about her book exceeding our expectations. Do you think that we expect less from writers of color? For myself, I know that, when I walk into Borders, for example, I so seldom see high quality books by African American writers that I become very excited when I find a less familiar author. (I'm not counting the "Old Reliables" - Morrison, Mosley, etc.) If I don't stop trying to make my friends read Shifting Through Neutral and This Side Of The Sky, I think that they are going to disown me!

How do you find the cream of the crop of new writers of color? Personal recommendations, Amazon, browsing? I hate to think that we are not giving new writers a fair chance.

message 2: by Jean (last edited Apr 26, 2009 07:53AM) (new)

Jean | 141 comments I select books from two of my goodreads friend's shelves and usually check out those that are rated four or five. One of the libraries that I frequent has an African Disapora section and I browse those and have selected some really wonderful finds there. Also, most of the libraries have "New Arrival" shelves which are great for finding new authors of color.

message 3: by Qiana (new)

Qiana | 189 comments Hey, good question. Is it that we expect less or expect too much?!?! When it comes to African American writing, I feel less tolerant about bad writing, lazy formulaic plots and characterizations - although I know that every genre has a range of writing styles and tastes.

But in terms of looking for new talent, I rely on GoodReads a lot (especially you Mina!) to share special finds that I might not pick up on my own.