Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (The Dowser, #1)
111 views
Archive Self Promotion > The Dowser Series - Urban Fantasy - eARC giveaways!!

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (last edited May 30, 2014 10:38AM) (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments
----------------

Thanks for the opportunity to tell you about my newest release.

Web page: http://wp.me/PP9tA-tE

Title: Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic

Genre: Urban Fantasy (adult) (new adult) Approx. 68,000 words

Keywords: fantasy, magic, witches, werewolves, vampires, blood magic

Synopsis: If you’d asked me a week ago, I would have told you that the best cupcakes were dark chocolate with chocolate cream cheese icing, that dancing in a crowd of magic wielders — the Adept — was better than sex, and that my life was peaceful and uneventful. Just the way I liked it. That’s what twenty-three years in the magical backwater of Vancouver will get you — a completely skewed sense of reality. Because when the dead werewolves started showing up, it all unraveled … except for the cupcake part. That’s a universal truth.

--------------------

Thanks!

Meghan


message 2: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments I entered! This book sounds great. :-) Thanks!


message 3: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "I entered! This book sounds great. :-) Thanks!"

Thank you!! I love my giveaways, and especially love chatting with readers!!


message 4: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Second excerpt and second chance to win post today: http://wp.me/pP9tA-tU


message 5: by Jen (last edited Jun 12, 2013 02:29PM) (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Done! I can't wait to read this. The excerpts you're sharing are great! :-)


message 6: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "Done! I can't wait to read this. The excerpts you're sharing are great! :-)"

Thanks Jen, though that last one is a little heavy on the cupcakes!!


message 7: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Third excerpt and third chance to win posted today: http://wp.me/pP9tA-tX

"official" release day Friday, June 21!!


message 8: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Meghan wrote: "Third excerpt and third chance to win posted today: http://wp.me/pP9tA-tX

"official" release day Friday, June 21!!"


Woohoo! Another excerpt and only two more days until the release! I am so excited!!


message 9: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments HAPPY RELEASE DAY, CUPCAKES (etc).
blog post (w/FREE CHAPTER): http://wp.me/aP9tA-uG




message 10: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Yay! Congrats Meghan!, I'm very excited to read Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic. I've budgeted my purchase and am counting down the days to when it will be possible for me to buy it! :-)


message 11: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "Yay! Congrats Meghan!, I'm very excited to read Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic. I've budgeted my purchase and am counting down the days to when it will be possible for me to buy it! :-)"

Thanks, Jen! Though there are still chances to win!! Two more (including this week's) on my blog and Shana over on A Book Vacation has a giveaway ... one more to come on July 8th as well.

http://bookvacations.wordpress.com/20...


message 12: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments You're welcome, Meghan, and thanks for the info on the opportunities to win. I'll try to resist buying Cupcakes until they end. ;-)


message 13: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "You're welcome, Meghan, and thanks for the info on the opportunities to win. I'll try to resist buying Cupcakes until they end. ;-)"

I know I blow my book budget all the time, especially when I pick up a new series and get hooked - GAH!! I honestly do look at the library first but am TERRIBLE at waiting. And I am a HUGE ebook convert. Some times I can get my eyes on the first in a series via Overdrive but never the entire series.


message 14: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic is currently ranked #100 in Magic and Wizards over on Amazon.

This is a big deal (to me) for two reasons. 1. that's out of thousands of books. (it is ranked #22,096 out of millions) and 2. only Amazon can put a book in a category like that, which means Cupcakes has caught the attention of their algorithms.

The first 30 days are the most important (for catching Amazons attention) so thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who has picked up a copy already!! YOU ROCK!!


message 15: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Meghan wrote: "I know I blow my book budget all the time, especially when I pick up a new series and get hooked - GAH!! I honestly do look at the library first but am TERRIBLE at waiting. And I am a HUGE ebook convert..."

I try to buy only when I have coupons for Barnes and Noble. I tend to only download free e-books for my Kindle, as I much prefer paper books. But every once in awhile I see an e-book that's not free and that doesn't have a paper edition...those I buy. So if I'm not a lucky winner in one of the giveaways, I'll for sure be buying Cupcakes! :-)


message 16: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Meghan wrote: "Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic is currently ranked #100 in Magic and Wizards over on Amazon.

This is a big deal (to me) for two reasons..."


Congratulations, Meghan! This sounds like fantastic news!! :-) I think all the giveaways end within the first 30 days, so my copy should get counted somehow! :-)


message 17: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "Meghan wrote: "Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic is currently ranked #100 in Magic and Wizards over on Amazon.

This is a big deal (to me) for two reasons..."

Congratulations, Meghan! Thi..."


Ah, yes, Jen. Totally.

I do love the individual giveaways though. I like the interaction with potential readers. I just write away all day, no coworkers, so I guess I'm big on Facebook, goodreads, and the blog for that reason too.


message 18: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Final chance to win over on the blog today. Link in the top post.


message 19: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments I entered! Is it over soon? I hope I win! (Or I hope I lose, so I can buy it!) Either way, Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic will soon be mine, all mine! Mwah ha ha!!

lol ;-)


message 20: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "I entered! Is it over soon? I hope I win! (Or I hope I lose, so I can buy it!) Either way, Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic will soon be mine, all mine! Mwah ha ha!!

lol ;-)"


Ha, ha, Jen! Now you have to wait until next Wednesday to find out if you won! It's okay ... it gets you a week closer to the sequel (less of a wait).


message 21: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Meghan wrote: "Ha, ha, Jen! Now you have to wait until next Wednesday to find out if you won! It's okay ... it gets you a week closer to the sequel (less of a wait). "

Less of a wait is always a good thing, however I'd like it a lot better if I could just have the whole series now. Pretty please? lol! ;-)


message 22: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "Meghan wrote: "Ha, ha, Jen! Now you have to wait until next Wednesday to find out if you won! It's okay ... it gets you a week closer to the sequel (less of a wait). "

Less of a wait is always a g..."


I'm hoping to release in September and December this year, but you haveta let me write 'em!! HA!


message 23: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Meghan wrote: " I'm hoping to release in September and December this year, but you haveta let me write 'em!! HA!".

lol sounds like a good plan. :-)


message 24: by Meghan (last edited Aug 01, 2013 11:36AM) (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments From August 1 - 15, 2013 win all FOUR of my paperbacks including Cupcakes, Trinkets & Other Deadly Magic



Direct link to paperback giveaway: http://wp.me/pP9tA-vZ


message 25: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Win a paperback via Goodreads here: http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...


message 26: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments 1300 words of flash fiction to tide you over until the second novel - I'm just about finished the 2nd draft so it Dowser 2 will soon be in the editor's hands - and a paperback giveaway!!

Check it out here: http://madebymeghan.wordpress.com/201... but SPOILER ALERT!!


message 27: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments I'm hosting giveaways every friday over at my blog to celebrate the upcoming release of the Cupcakes (Etc) sequel. You can enter to win Dowser #1 or #2.

Giveaway for December 8th here: http://madebymeghan.wordpress.com/201...


message 28: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Oooh, if I remember correctly, there's an excerpt with this week's giveaway opportunity! I'm on my phone now but tomorrow I'll get on the computer and over to your blog to read it! Yay!! :)


message 29: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "Oooh, if I remember correctly, there's an excerpt with this week's giveaway opportunity! I'm on my phone now but tomorrow I'll get on the computer and over to your blog to read it! Yay!! :)"

Yes, there is an excerpt up there now. I hope you like it, Jen!!


message 30: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Meghan wrote: "Yes, there is an excerpt up there now. I hope you like it, Jen!!"

Oh I did. I soooo did! I really want to read the whole book right now...December 27th better hurry and get here fast, so that I can buy it if I don't win it. :)


message 31: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "Meghan wrote: "Yes, there is an excerpt up there now. I hope you like it, Jen!!"

Oh I did. I soooo did! I really want to read the whole book right now...December 27th better hurry and get here fas..."


I wanted to get it out before Christmas (and I still might - you never know!!) but December 27 was more reasonable. I'm looking forward to doing some reading of the Christmas holidays as well. I have a backlog!!


message 32: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments A backlog in your To-Be-Read stack? You're among good company here at Goodreads, then. My backlog is over 1,500 books large and grows more and more everyday. :)

What sort of books do you like to read? PNR/UF and/or some other genre/s?


message 33: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "A backlog in your To-Be-Read stack? You're among good company here at Goodreads, then. My backlog is over 1,500 books large and grows more and more everyday. :)

What sort of books do you like to r..."


Definitely UF (LOVE) /Fantasy/Sci-Fi … some post-apoc/dystopian. I'm working my way through Terry Pratchett's witches books starting with Equal Rites right now. I also have the two latest Atwood books on my pile (yes, I'm that behind) (my sister bought them for me in hard cover - GAH!).

I like to try indie authors as well. But I'm insanely picky … not necessary indie vs. traditional but I want a book to grab me and force me to continue reading.

I try to not add books to my to-be-read list here on Goodreads unless I plan on reading it soon … with that said, I should probably trim it. So I cannot match your 1500!!

I love sample pages. I read A LOT of samples to let a book grab me. If I get to the end and want to keep reading I buy. This doesn't happen as much as I would like.

I used to read MUCH more when I wasn't writing novels (when I was focusing on filmmaking exclusively). Now I just want pure entertainment … a brain break, if you will. I don't like to struggle with books.

I'm a big fan of the Kate Daniels series, the Mercy Thompson series, and Kelley Armstrong's tales of the Otherworld. I also like the Fever series. And so on, and so forth!!


message 34: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments I'm the opposite when it comes to my TBR pile...I add anything that looks good based on the blurb. I'm also not a picky reader...or perhaps I am, but it's kind of hard to tell since I like most everything I read. :)

I used to read mostly romantic suspense (in my teens), then I read mostly mysteries (college years)...then I discovered Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series (the early books) and fell in love with what turned out to be the UF genre. Ever since, I've read mostly UF and PNR. This "phase" has lasted for at least 15 years now and since the lion's share of books on my TBR shelf are PNR/UR, I don't think it's going to end anytime soon. :)

Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld books were another of my first-books-read-in-the-UF-genre. The Kate Daniels and Mercy Thompson series are recent (as in in-2013) discoveries. I liked the KD books so much I've purchased all of them to date. The MT books are still growing on me; I haven't yet fallen so in love with them that they've gone on my to-buy shelf. I expect this to change, though. lol!

I used to read a lot when I lived alone in Seattle, but now that I'm in Tucson with my family (and my puppy), I'm not able to read as much. I still read a lot compared to some, but not as many as I used to be able to read.

I read "samples" via the library. If I like the book in question enough to imagine myself rereading it, I buy it (nowadays, I add it to my to-buy shelf, given the number of new-to-me books I read that I would like to own).

I read mostly paper books, but in 2013 I've begun to expand into reading more e-books, yours included. :) I've found some good ones (yours among them) and they've made me more interested in reading e-books. I've even bought a few (like yours, lol! sensing a theme, yet?). :)


message 35: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "I'm the opposite when it comes to my TBR pile...I add anything that looks good based on the blurb. I'm also not a picky reader...or perhaps I am, but it's kind of hard to tell since I like most eve..."

I like that theme - LOL! Speaking of indie authors and ebooks, I really liked Girl Under Glass. It drew me and I thought about it after I read - that's high praise from me!!


message 36: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments


message 37: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments


message 38: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments FLASH GIVEAWAY over on my blog (and twitter and Facebook) today - 3 paperbacks in 24 hours!! Open internationally: http://wp.me/pP9tA-G3


message 39: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments NEW cover reveal teaser:



message 40: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments What fun! I love the new covers for Dowser #1 and #2, too! :)


message 41: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments Jen wrote: "What fun! I love the new covers for Dowser #1 and #2, too! :)"

Thanks Jen! I'm trying out some rebranding...


message 42: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Doidge | 84 comments eARC giveaways of Dowser 3 over on my blog every Friday leading up to June 19, 2014.

http://www.madebymeghan.ca


back to top