Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Vision in White (Bride Quartet, #1)
This topic is about Vision in White
Book Discussions > Vision in White (Bride Quartet #1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jenjn79 (last edited Oct 26, 2009 08:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

jenjn79 | 290 comments Mod
Nora Roberts - Vision In White (Bride Quartet #1)
Vision in White (Bride Quartet, #1) by Nora Roberts

#1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts cordially invites you to meet childhood friends Parker, Emma, Laurel, and Mac - the founders of Vows, one of Connecticut's premier wedding planning companies.

After years of throwing make-believe weddings in the backyard, flowers, photography, desserts, and details are what these women do best: a guaranteed perfect, beautiful day full of memories to last the rest of your life.

With bridal magazine covers to her credit, Mackensie "Mac" Elliot is most at home behind the camera - ready to capture the happy moments she never experienced while growing up. Her father replaced his first family with a second, and now her mother, moving on to yet another man, beg Mac for attention and money. Mac's foundation is jostled again moments before an important wedding planning meeting when she bumps into the bride-to-be's brother...an encounter that has them both seeing stars.

Carter Maquire is definitely not her type: he's stable, and he's safe. He's even an English teacher at their high school alma mater. There's something about him that makes Mac think a casual fling is just what she needs to take her mind off dealing with bridezillas and screening her mother's phone calls. But a casual fling can turn into something more when you least expect it. And with the help of her three best friends - and business partners - Mac must learn how to make her own happy memories...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

LOVED it! It had a sort of different feel to it than some of the other trilogies. More fun loving and upbeat. I kind of liked it.

Amar | 134 comments I LOVED it, esp. the fun exchanges between the girlfriends...and the glorious wedding details!! Can't wait to see what kind of wedding Mac/Carter have!

Jess | 54 comments I didn't want to start this one until all the others are released. I don't like having to wait for the sequels. But it's good to hear that this one was good :)

Amar | 134 comments You have serious willpower Jess...I couldn't wait that long.

Jess | 54 comments Well I'm still busy reading her other books so I have some stuff to distract me!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I waited nearly two months as it is. LOL ... and everytime we went to the bookstore, I would carry it around with me but put it down. I think my husband just got sick of me walking around with it and bought it out of pity.

Jess | 54 comments LOL

Amar | 134 comments Can't wait for the next installment in this series...

Shannon | 1 comments I always get excited when a new series starts. I really liked Carter as the love interest. Sometimes, the nerdy guy wins.

message 11: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess | 54 comments I gave in and am reading it now.. I really like it so far and I like Carter. He's so cute with fumbling around and with all his lists.

He needed a list to make to dinner... awww. I just want to hug him.

Stacy | 41 comments I agree with you Jess! I loved Carter, i thought it was so cute that he was always so out of sorts when it came with Mac, always making his lists and making sure that everything would go well. I thought he was a perfect match for her. I really enjoyed this book and i'm looking forward to the other books to follow in this series.

message 13: by La-kesha (new) - added it

La-kesha | 5 comments I have this book, but I have not started to read it yet! From what I have read in other post, it looks like another good series for NR again.

Yeah!!!!!!!! She Rocks!!!!!!!

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill | 6 comments I decided to wait until fall to read this one so that the next installment wouldn't be too far away when I was done. Sometimes when they are spread out too much I lose my momentum and forget details which takes away from the next book.

I love how Nora Roberts makes each business her heroines open seem possible and fun (like In the Garden with the nursery and landscaping and the Key Trilogy when they open the bookstore with spa). Always makes me wonder what else I could be doing with my life!

Nora Roberts books always make me come away feeling better about life (I guess that is romance in general). This one was fun to read.

message 15: by Amar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amar | 134 comments Looks like the next installment in the quartet releases tomorrow...can't wait to get my hands on it!! Have to hurry up and finish the creepy suspense novel I'm reading right now so I can reward myself with a lighthearted romance!! yehhh!

Jessica I liked this book a lot:)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 58 comments I really liked this book. I love the business angle - it inspires me to go out and be productive. The romance was really sweet, and I love the initials for the members of the wedding party and it's funny when they describe some of the more difficult clients.

Barbara ★ I should have known that something called "Bride Quartet" wasn't going to be my thing but it's Nora Roberts so I figured it would be great regardless of all the wedding stuff. Boy was I wrong. Don't get me wrong it had a wonderfully romantic romance between Mac and Carter. She has more luggage than Samsonite and he's a mild mannered English professor. Though there were way too much wedding planning and actual ceremonies and receptions and all the minor little details involved with planning weddings to really enjoy this book, I did like it nonetheless. I really identified with the four ladies: Mac, Parker, Emma and Laurel. I will probably read the next book Bed of Rosesfeaturing Emma since I already own it but if it is a wedding fixated as this one, I probably won't continue with the series. I'm not married nor do I want to ever be married and this book surely didn't help change my mind. What a freakin nightmare weddings are!

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 58 comments Barbsis wrote: "I should have known that something called "Bride Quartet" wasn't going to be my thing but it's Nora Roberts so I figured it would be great regardless of all the wedding stuff. Boy was I wrong. Do..."

Barbis,

I don't mind the wedding theme, and I always like the relationship between the women in the trilogies, and this time, the quartet. But her romances and men are usually better than what I've seen here. I love strong Norah men.

I read the first one and liked it ok. But by the second book Bed of Roses, I felt so apathetic, and that is not like me when it comes to Nora. I'm going to try it again after a little while in book form instead of audio to see if I just read it at the wrong time; sometimes that happens. I love Nora, and so I don't get why I didn't like this one.

Barbara ★ Oh that is so not good news. Now I'm not sure I even want to read Bed of Roses as I had enough trouble with the first one. Damn. I do own it though so maybe.

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 58 comments Barbsis wrote: "Oh that is so not good news. Now I'm not sure I even want to read Bed of Roses as I had enough trouble with the first one. Damn. I do own it though so maybe."

Don't let me dissuade you. A lot of people love that book from what I've read, and everyone's tastes are different. I don't want to stop anyone from giving something a try.

Barbara ★ Oh don't worry since I own it I'll read it eventually. But since we had similar taste with the first book I just figured we'd have similar taste on the second one too.

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 58 comments Barbsis wrote: "Oh don't worry since I own it I'll read it eventually. But since we had similar taste with the first book I just figured we'd have similar taste on the second one too."

That makes sense, and you're probably right. It's just that I keep wondering why this particular set of books is not flying for me. I am not a real romance reader, but I remember liking all the books that Nora has written, even the romance ones. There is only one exception that I can remember, the one with the magician theme. I'm not really into that; magicians and clowns - weird.

Maybe my tastes are changing because of my age, or whatever. I'm planning to go back and re-read the ones I loved and put that theory to the test.

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) There is going to be an online gamed based on VIW.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2009/12/08/n...

Christine | 3 comments I loved this book from the friendship of four women to Mackenzie’s Carter. I so wish I could meet a man like him.

message 26: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (literarykate) | 5 comments I'm currently re-reading this one and I agree with Christine, I'd love to have a guy like Carter. He's so sexy with being a professor, wearing glasses and reading books. *sigh*

Christine | 3 comments Oh Kate, LIKE YOU I have started re-reading all three of the of the published Bride Quartet. My eyes are wearing out, so I was so happy to find Nora's Bride Quartet in LARGE PRINT.

message 28: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (literarykate) | 5 comments Which book are you currently reading? I just started Vision in White this evening and I think it's even better now than the first time I read it. :)

P.S. Thanks for the friend invite! :)

Christine | 3 comments Same here Kate, I also started Vision in White, but I need to finish Elizabeth's Gilbert's Eat, Pray Love first. Consider putting it on your list. Most every Woman can benefit from reading her story.

Elcee | 12 comments Did you like Eat, Pray Love? My book club had it as a Book of the Month last year and even though it had such great reviews none of us felt greatly impressed by it at all. I think it is the first novel we had in many years which left us with a unanimous sense of being 'let down'. Probably because we have had some great books before and since to compare it with.

message 31: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Baldi Elcee wrote: "Did you like Eat, Pray Love? My book club had it as a Book of the Month last year and even though it had such great reviews none of us felt greatly impressed by it at all. I think it is the first..." OK, I'll bite. What is the list of the really great books that you've read in the book club? I loved the book club I used to belong to until I moved out of state. There was 1 -- "Life of Pi" -- that I HATED but the rest of the group absolutely loved beyond anything! I was astounded. We also read "The Kite Runner" which we all adored. It was a revelation to me in that I would never have picked that as a winner of a book. So as you may notice, I am serious about a list of good reads from the book club.

The Kite Runner

Elcee | 12 comments Off the top of my head I can tell you that everyone loved "The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer. Another favourite was "The Book Thief". Very different types of books. We have had a book called "Old Flith" recently (can't remember the author just now but most people liked it) and we also had a book which was shortlisted for the Orange prize entitled Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Quite disturbing but it got most of us in. Lots more, of course, but I'm having a bit of a senior moment!

message 33: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Baldi Not bad for a senior moment. And it's funny but I'm reading "The Book Thief" right now. I've heard so many great things about it but it took me a very long time to get to. And taking a long time to get through right now. I'm more than half way through now so maybe it will go more quickly. I already own the Potato Peel book and it is also on my to be read list. I'll have to look into the Purple Hibiscus book. Thanks for sharing.

Elcee | 12 comments Lori wrote: "Not bad for a senior moment. And it's funny but I'm reading "The Book Thief" right now. I've heard so many great things about it but it took me a very long time to get to. And taking a long time to..."

My daughter(who is a teacher) kept on at me to read The Book Thief for a very long time before I finally caved in and started it. I had put it off because it just didn't appeal to me but once I got started on it I did like it and passed it on to other members of my Book Club. Most of them liked it so much they bought their own copies.

message 35: by Elementswater13 (new)

Elementswater13 The book had an interesting atmosphere. Carter was an interesting and rather unusual hero but I didn't like Mac so much. She was really very two-dimensional. I am waiting for Happily Ever after since Parker seemed to be the most interesting of the four.

message 36: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 36 comments Just started the first one and am having a hard time getting into it. Not sure if I like Mac or not. I asked for this series for my birthday so I don't have to run all over town to find them. Our library has hardly any of her stuff.

Azleen Hi..just got hold of Happy Ever After without realising that it's book 4 of the quartet. Enjoyed reading it but am now questioning whether i should get the earlier books as well..am getting mixed reviews...help!

Talya | 741 comments Mod
You should definitely start with book 1, Mac, it sets us the whole series and introduces the characters.

Kelsey (kels_elaine) I have this book but I haven't read it yet. I want to get the whole series first before I start reading it. I currently in the middle of reading another series. So I might get to it soon. :)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I adored this trilogy! I have to say that it's my all time favorite trilogy of Nora's (along with the Chesapeake Bay Saga,lol!). I also loved the fact that the entire series revolved around weddings~my favorite! U know bcause MacKensize a.k.a. "Mac" took the wedding photographes, Emma made sure that the flowers for each of the weddings looked absolutely fabulous, Laurel baked each of the wedding cakes and made sure that each 1 had to be fabulous for the bride and Parker had sure that all of the events for each wedding was what each bride wanted for their individual wedding....so it all worked out n each story. I don't wanna give too much away but what I don't understand is y only 1 or 2 of the main female characters got married and the other 2 didn't. Y is that? I mean, I don't understand that. Maybe I need to re~read that trilogy and find out for myself....? I don't know....But in the end, I did highly enjoy that trilogy and I'm so freakin' glad that I gotta chance to read all 4 of those trilogy books!!!!

Azleen Yay, got a copy of Vision in White...have noticed that this trilogy doesnt seem to b a fav among NR readers..oh well, figure i cant go wrong with it...after all i've yet to encounter a book of hers that i've not enjoyed ;)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6061 comments Mod
Azleen wrote: "Yay, got a copy of Vision in White...have noticed that this trilogy doesnt seem to b a fav among NR readers..oh well, figure i cant go wrong with it...after all i've yet to encounter a book of hers..."

And there are many that have enjoyed it so you can decide for yourself:) I've only read the first book, which I liked...just not as much as most of the others.

Talya | 741 comments Mod
I absolutely loved the Quartet! It's up there among my top fave NR series :-D

If you're looking for straight up contemporary romance (without a twist of mystery/suspense, paranormal,or anything extra thrown in) with beautifully developed characters and setting, then this is for you.

Azleen Oh how I adore Carter..*sigh*
Not your typical hero.. his klutzyness, fumbling around uncertainty in dealing with Mac just sorta makes him so relatable..

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1274 comments Carter was real. A real man not a super stud, hunk, who is a take no prisoners fantasy. Just a normal, great guy.

Karen (gocatgo260) | 18 comments This was a great series!!!!!!!!! I loved the whole idea of the wedding planer business and re untraditional guy love interest. I also really like the covers, haha.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Azleen wrote: "Yay, got a copy of Vision in White...have noticed that this trilogy doesnt seem to b a fav among NR readers..oh well, figure i cant go wrong with it...after all i've yet to encounter a book of hers..."

Hey Azleen. Yeah, I do have my own copy of Vision in White as well as the rest of the entire trilogy,too. Yay for me,lol! Yeah, I don't know that the Bridal Quartet is not some of Nora's fans's favorite trilogy. I don't know about ya'll, but the Bridal Quartet will always b my absolute favorite trilogy of Nora's...probably for a very long time,too. I never could figure out y the Bridal Quartet hasn't been a favorite among Nora's fans. It has just about ev'rything that ur lookin' for n a trilogy. It just puzzles me that alotta Nora fans don't consider The Bridal Quartet as just 1 of their very own personal favorites...it will always b my personal favorite trilogy. I don't know.

message 48: by Anita (last edited Dec 14, 2013 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1274 comments NR's romances are not my favorites. I prefer her romantic suspense. The Bridal Quartet Vision in White started out great, but Bed of Roses left a lot to be desired. I found my self skimming large portions, especially about the girl's history together, the business and flower arranging. It is almost like reading the same book but from a different perspective.

Kerri Levine | 96 comments I'm a fan of the Bridal Quartet series, too! As much as I enjoy Nora's paranormal books, and of course, the ID series, I like the straight romances. I thoroughly enjoyed the life long friendship of the women, and how the men fit into their lives.

Agata (kawcia) | 17 comments I really enjoyed this book as well as the rest of the trilogy. I'm usually not a big fan of wedding consulting and wedding drama, but this is Nora so there is no room for failure. I think that with this series I got to know all characters better after reading all 4 books.