Fantasy Fanatics discussion

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Drake (new)

Drake (drake2484) There isn't a Game of Thrones thread here? Does anyone besides me watch it? Oddly enough I love the show but have no interest in reading the books. I know, I'm different.

Anybody see last week's episode? That was unexpected.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky If you read the third book, you would know that what happened Sunday is definitely NOT the end of the drama! Lol

message 3: by Casey (new)

Casey Stewart (skelanimalsluv) | 25 comments I've yet to watch these because I really like to read the books first (for any tv show and/or movie). I actually bought the first book on Monday and can't wait to start it. I heard the show is really good.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beaktastic) | 86 comments I love the show and the books. I only started reading the first book after watching the very first episode of the show but I quickly devoured the rest of the books.

I think they make great companions to one another. Obviously the books are the source material and so the show mostly follows that, but it does make some changes but I think the changes make sense for the most part, and obviously somethings always have to be changed when adapting a book into a film or TV show. I also like though that the show adds some stuff in, like some character revealing dialogue and stuff. It helps to expand the whole universe in my mind.

But yes, I've been looking forward to what happened in the latest episode for a while. Not in a good way, cos I was sad, but just I knew it would be exciting drama. And yes, there's still so much to come... :D

message 5: by Daniela (new)

Daniela (danielapereira) | 23 comments I was also looking forward to the episode. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was as shocked watching it as I was reading it in the book. The third book is certainly my favorite of the whole series, and I cannot wait for what the episode finale will bring.

I like the show a lot, especially how you get to know different sides of some of the characters that aren't always clear in the books - not until you reach a certain point in the story. And I still can't stand Daenerys.

message 6: by Kristina (last edited Jun 05, 2013 12:51PM) (new)

Kristina (spaz_girl) I started reading the series about the time I finished watching season one (which wasn't until season two was about to start). Now I am ahead of the show.

Personally, I think they did amazing on season 1 and 2, now in season 3 I feel like they forget the show is based on a series of books. By the end of last weeks episode I was actually kind of ticked off and didn't even care once they got to the Red Wedding.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beaktastic) | 86 comments I think the first series of the show is still my favorite, but by this point in the series (both tv and books) the stories are becoming a lot more complicated and bogged down and it becomes increasingly difficult to pace everything right and give everyone the right amount of screen time and stuff.

message 8: by Shaad (last edited Jun 05, 2013 02:03PM) (new)

Shaad Zaman (shaadzaman) | 234 comments Mod
Becky wrote: "I think the first series of the show is still my favorite, but by this point in the series (both tv and books) the stories are becoming a lot more complicated and bogged down and it becomes increas..."

I actually watched the first 2 seasons before reading the books. The first season the first time I watched it I was pretty confused and was not quite sold until A certain character met an untimely demise lol! That when I like WTF and was completely hooked!

I agree with your assessment. I believe theere are ust too many characters to get the balance and timing of everybody's story. Like for a couple of episodes you may not see a certain character. The bad part is the cast really only growing so this issue is not going anywhere.

The one thing with the show is I think worldbuilding is not as great as in the books because some of the worldbuilding is done through characters thoughts. I really want to reread Storm of Swords to see exactly ow much they changed because I just forgot some of the events in the third book!

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beaktastic) | 86 comments Shaad wrote: "Becky wrote: "I think the first series of the show is still my favorite, but by this point in the series (both tv and books) the stories are becoming a lot more complicated and bogged down and it b..."

Yeah. I need to re-read all the books again because while I remember a lot of the major details and stuff, I've forgotten a lot of the smaller details and intricacies.

But yeah, the cast and the stories are growing all the time which is why you see so much being changed increasingly, and characters being merged or deleted entirely. Like Strong Belwas who doesn't seem to be in the show - he wasn't a major character in the books but I liked him nonetheless.

But yeah, sometimes I feel like they put in little scenes to remind of us characters where they don't need to and could have just spent those 3 minutes or whatever on more important or relevant characters for that episode. Like in the latest episode, that brief bit with Sam and Gilly was just totally unnecessary I felt.

But yes, I think the end of episode 9 in season 1 (view spoiler) was the point where the majority of people who weren't sure about the show got hooked.

message 10: by Kristina (last edited Jun 05, 2013 02:22PM) (new)

Kristina (spaz_girl) Shaad wrote: "Becky wrote: "I think the first series of the show is still my favorite, but by this point in the series (both tv and books) the stories are becoming a lot more complicated and bogged down and it b..."

Well... they just killed a bunch of people in the show this week, so they'll have more time for other people now... hahah.

My problem isn't in the timing per se (although it looks like we are at the end of the book for Daenerys next episode, while everyone else is mid-book, are they just going to make stuff up for her next season?), my problem is with them blatantly changing things. I was really looking forward to seeing that wildling warg go crazy when his bird burned, but apparently Jon Snow had to go and kill him too soon. I suppose it was so they didn't have to sign the guy for 2 or 3 episodes next season. And Sam the Slayer? That was the prologue of the book with all the other men of the Night's Watch there. THEY started calling him the Slayer, and saw what the dragon glass did first hand. Now they have no idea except maybe hearsay later. It is just frustrating when they change things that so obviously don't need, or shouldn't be changed.

message 11: by Drake (new)

Drake (drake2484) S3E9 SPOILERS!!!

That wedding ruined my night. I wasn't expecting it either. I saw the happy celebration and I let my guard down. Stupid me. I was hoping Rob would keep the North too. My only hope is the hot dragon lady. I'm not a fan of the fire god people and obviously don't like the Lannisters. So things aren't looking do good for me. PLUS why did Snow leave his wild girlfriend? What a jerk?! Just a depressing episode.

message 12: by Cj (new)

Cj (sosupercj) | 13 comments I hear that Sansa and Joffrey like to freestyle and beatbox when they have free time on the set :D

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill I originally bought and read game of thrones over 10 years ago because it was only $2.99 and figured it wouldn't be much of a loss if it was bad. I have now read the series 3 times as i reread when 4 + 5 were released. I enjoy the show but try to watch it as a seperate story so i don't get dissapointed when the story changes or characters are left out. Also think they have done a great job visually with the different locations and people.

message 14: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (spaz_girl) Cj wrote: "I hear that Sansa and Joffrey like to freestyle and beatbox when they have free time on the set :D"

I have seen some fabulous "behind the scenes" photo shoots. All of these actors/actresses look like they have a fabulous time working together. =)

message 15: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (spaz_girl)

Hey, I just noticed the Slytherin "dementor" on the far left was in the first episode of Game of Thrones.
Haha

message 16: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (spaz_girl) Well...
I suppose I'll have to start A Feast For Crows soon since they ended almost all of the story lines from A Storm of Swords.
What did you all think of the finale?

message 17: by Shaad (new)

Still need to watch it! Is it good?

message 18: by Kristina (last edited Jun 09, 2013 08:31PM) (new)

Kristina (spaz_girl) Yes. =)
Again, some order out of place (you know how I like to complain about that), but I really liked this episode. Almost all of the story lines are complete now though, save I think three of them. Send me a message if you want to know what they didn't show. (Don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it.)

message 19: by Drake (new)

Drake (drake2484) Just watched the finale. I am both bummed and happy. I'm happy because they kind of touched on a little of everything to keep you happy for a year. I'm bummed because nothing happened. There was nothing to blow my mind.

Oh well. Great season overall and I can't wait until... until.. A WHOLE YEAR FROM NOW! WHYYY??

message 20: by Shaad (new)

I thought it was great season finale! It was mostly everybody reacting to the Starks deaths and their future plans of attacks! There were some really good scenes in terms of dialogue loved the Tywin and Tyrion scene, Tyrion and cerise I and any ser Davis scene! There was not much action it was just more subtle brilliance the by show writers!

I have no idea how I am going o wait 9 months for the next season! Overall I would give the season 9/10! But I'm hoping to reread storm of swords and the re watch season 3 and reevaluate the season at that point( mostly because I forgot some of the stuff that happened in the books)

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky (beaktastic) | 86 comments I thought it was a good finale. They touched on everyone and showed their reactions to the Red Wedding (where appropriate) and where they're headed next season. I'm slightly concerned though that some storylines are moving way too quickly though. Particularly Brans... and Danys a bit...

message 22: by Drake (new)

Drake (drake2484) @ Becky, I wouldn't worry about that too much. A lot of times, like with Rob and Jon Snow, they wouldn't even use much if not any of their story for an episode or two. Maybe they are speeding Bran's story up because they know in later episodes he won't have much screen time for awhile due to other stories they want to focus on. Just a guess though.

message 23: by Shaad (new)

@Becky I also believe season 4 will have some stuff from book 4!(not a lot but at least a few scenes)

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (beaktastic) | 86 comments Yeah, like I know they're bring parts of Dany's story forward and stuff, but it just means they're going to run out of book-storyline eventually, meaning they either have to not include the characters as much, make stuff up for them, or doing stuff that will be in future books that they know of from grrm but fans don't know about. I dunno...

message 25: by Kristina (last edited Jun 11, 2013 06:10AM) (new)

Kristina (spaz_girl) Yeah, really there are only three story lines that aren't caught up... Sansa/Tyrion, Jon Snow/The Wall, and Jamie and of course the people their actions affect. I suppose you could say Lady Stoneheart too, but really you're only missing one scene from her. Other than that A Storm of Swords is pretty much wrapped up.

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky (beaktastic) | 86 comments Yeah, a lot of Kings Landing is behind I think, and Jon is a bit too, but everyone else is already pushing ahead. And Arya's a bit behind too.

I wonder where they're taking Yara/Asha's storyline in the show? Cos I don't remember her ending from the books at all... of course things could change and go to where the books go...

message 27: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (spaz_girl) Becky wrote: "Yeah, a lot of Kings Landing is behind I think, and Jon is a bit too, but everyone else is already pushing ahead. And Arya's a bit behind too.

I wonder where they're taking Yara/Asha's storyline i..."

Yeah, Sansa (mostly), Tyrion, and Jamie are all King's Landing "chapters," so it is definitely the place furthest behind. Considering all the people from the Iron Islands weren't even in A Storm of Swords, I have not idea where they are going because I haven't read boos 4 and 5 yet. Haha

message 28: by Nermin (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 7 comments A Storm of Swords was actually divided to two seasons so we will still see quite some really amazing stuff next year most important of all probably the Purple Wedding and ensuing events. So I'm already looking forward to the next season. As for the finale, though I find the last scene quite anticlimactic, all in all I thought it was an excellent episode. I've never liked Ironborns but that Yara/Asha scene was amazing and made me quite sad. I don't always like the additions/changes HBO makes but this one was quite good. I also like the show's efforts to 'humanize' Cercei.

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (beaktastic) | 86 comments Yeah, I know SoS was being divided into 2 seasons but it still seems as if some peoples SoS storylines are already over (Bran, I'm looking at you - and Dany's already gone past hers so...). So it just makes me wonder what they're going to do with those characters next.

Yeah, I was expecting a kick ass final scene and while it was still good, it just wasn't as amazing as I was expecting which was a bit annoying but yeah.

I liked the Yara scene at the end too. I thought it was good.

But yeah, still loads to look forward to next season :D

message 30: by Daniela (new)

Daniela (danielapereira) | 23 comments Video in memoriam to all who died in Game of Thrones. At least up until season 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m4ZPU...

message 31: by Bri (new)

Bri (miscbri) I might get in trouble with this on a book reading site, but I actually find the show to be a better representation of the story than the books are. I think it might have to do with the author originally being a screenwriter.

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (beaktastic) | 86 comments Mm, I love both equally. Obviously the books go into a lot more depth and have more storylines/side characters/subplots/etc in them, but the TV show is great as well and is still fresh. It diverges from the TV show but not really in a way that I as a fan have huge issues with (for the most part anyway). I think they complement each other well as the books are obviously the original source material, the TV show still spends a lot of time on character stuff and fleshes the characters out a lot more than I feel some do in the books and in new ways. I'm thinking primarily of some of the Cersei and Tywin scenes in seasons 1 and 2, and there was some nice stuff with the Brotherhood and Stannis in season 3. But I think the books and the show work well in tandem. And I think that does have to do with Martin.

message 33: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Martinez (aj-martinez) | 3 comments All I know is that the most hated character in villain history is dead. if you know what I mean