Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

Themes in NL > Movie &TV Related (inc. fantasy casting)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maggy (new)

Maggy (maggyw) | 37 comments Hi Everyone,

This is Maggy, Norah's agent and I need your help urgently please if you have read both 'Gad's Hall' and 'The Haunting of Gad's Hall.'

The producer of the movie 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' is interested in looking at the last section of one of Norah's books for a possible new script (by which I mean a story where people in the present heal the past and in turn are healed by the house they have bought). I'm doing him a treatment on the end of 'The House at Sunset' and 'Bless This House' but neither are ideal ... so I also need a plot summary for the two Gad's Hall books where the Victorian secret bleeds through to the present. I haven't read either of them for a very long time.

It would be great if any of you could email me a summary of the plots of the books - with spoilers. I'd be so grateful. And of course I have to have it in the next 24 hours (they don't give you much notice!). If you can help, please email it to me at mw@treeoflifepublishing.co.uk.

Many, many thanks,

Maggy

message 2: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 854 comments Maggy, I sent you an email, hope it helps

message 3: by Maggy (new)

Maggy (maggyw) | 37 comments Peggy, you rock! Thank you so much. Helps very much indeed.

message 4: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 854 comments I was so excited, I could barely type! How wonderful it would be if a movie was forthcoming. I realize movies are often built around the "germ" of a book instead of the whole book but still so exciting!

message 5: by Barbara (last edited Jun 07, 2013 11:17PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments Hi Maggy yes how wonderful. Do you mean summaries of all four books or only of the Gad's ones .
Bless this House could be a great movie......

message 6: by Maggy (new)

Maggy (maggyw) | 37 comments Hi, it's me again.

Can you possibly do me a great favour? Carol, the film producer lady who's interested in Norah's books now says she wants plot summaries from ALL of them so she can look at what might work for a movie and what might work for TV! We don't have them all ... and Clive Lofts is not on a computer or the Internet so can't help. If you have old copies of any of them and are willing to type out the back cover blurb and email it to me at mw@treeoflifepublishing.co.uk I would be VERY grateful.

I already have copy for:

Esther
How Far to Bethlehem?
Pargeters
Bless This House
The Town House trilogy
The Lost Queen
Scent of Cloves
The Concubine
The King's Pleasure
Queen in Waiting (Eleanor the Queen)
The Lute Player
Here Was A Man
A Rose for Virtue
Her Own Special Island
Is Anybody There
(and, of course the Gad's Hall stuff you have already kindly sent)

But whatever else you could offer would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you!

Maggy

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 46 comments Maggy, I just sent you Copsi Castle, The Golden Fleece, The Old Priory, and Out of the Dark. I can EASILY see Copsi Castle being a terrific movie!

I will try to find time to send more later--let me know if there are any in particular. I have everything! (I wrote back to you on FB but I'm not sure how those messages work, so I hope you get this one.)

Debbie

message 8: by Maggy (new)

Maggy (maggyw) | 37 comments Hi Debbie - safely received. Thank you SO much!
Can you just tell me the outcome on Copsi Castle? Carol will probably want to know - and I agree with you!
Maggy

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 46 comments Maggy,

I'm at work so don't have the book with me, but this is what I remember: it has a happy ending. After going through horrors with Magnus, Hannah does have a baby with him. He (Magnus, not the baby) then dies somewhat horribly (his insanity becomes so bad that they basically let him waste away and die locked in his room--in a movie, they will probably make this a much more dramatic demise, i am sure!) Sir Harald is thrilled to have that grandchild, who gives him a new will to live. Hannah bargains with Sir Harald and is allowed to marry her sweetheart (who she knew before Magnus took a fancy to her) with the arrangement that she and her husband will live on the Castle property and raise the child as the heir to Copsi.

I might not have it exactly right, but that is the gist--I will check when I get home.

message 10: by Maggy (new)

Maggy (maggyw) | 37 comments That'll do fine Debbie. Thanks a lot.

message 11: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments I would like to help with this project, too, Maggy. I thought I would list a few I can do today, so that nobody else will duplicate the effort and information. Please let me know if someone has already listed these for synopsis: (4 titles)

Jassy
Nethergate
The Day of the Butterfly
A wayside Tavern

message 12: by Maggy (new)

Maggy (maggyw) | 37 comments All four would be perfect - and not done by others. Thank you Sylvia x

message 13: by Werner (new)

Werner | 677 comments Maggy, I don't have access to the jacket copy for any of NL's books (we have three of her books in the library where I work, but they don't have jackets). :-( However, you might try just printing off the official Goodreads descriptions for the books that aren't done yet. Those are very often copied from book jackets, and generally give the kind of description that a jacket would.

Hope the movie idea does bear fruit! I'd love to see NL's work faithfully adapted in film form.

message 14: by Maggy (new)

Maggy (maggyw) | 37 comments Thanks Werner. I will do that too x

message 15: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Maggy, I can either type the synopses (plus "spoiler" outcomes!) at your email address, or type them in Word and send them as Documents. (not familiar enough with FB). Do you have a preference?

message 16: by Maggy (new)

Maggy (maggyw) | 37 comments In a word document to me at mw@treeoflifepublishing.co.uk would be perfect Sylvia. Many thanks. Spoilers are fine - movie people like to know the outcome.

message 17: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 854 comments I've sent Maggy "Lovers All Untrue."

message 18: by Barbara (last edited Jul 22, 2013 02:10AM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments I could do

To See A Fine Lady
Hester Roon
Merravey

message 19: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Barbara, I just noticed that you wrote "Merravay" under Hester Roon. Did you mean "Bless This House"? If so, Maggy already listed it as finished up in Message 6.

Maggy, I don't see "A Calf For Venus" yet (AKA "Letty"), and I have it in Large Print, so am starting on it now.

Is there a time limit on this project? If a synopsis of every NL fiction book is required, we have about 28 more titles to go. If I counted right, 29 are listed here as finished or promised. Will Werner's suggestion in Message 13 work if we don't get to them all?

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments Sylvia wrote: "Barbara, I just noticed that you wrote "Merravay" under Hester Roon. Did you mean "Bless This House"? If so, Maggy already listed it as finished up in Message 6.

Maggy, I don't see "A Calf For V..."

Oh yes, thanks Sylvia, I did mean Bless This House.

message 21: by Barbara (last edited Jul 30, 2013 12:08AM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments Maggy wrote: "All four would be perfect - and not done by others. Thank you Sylvia x"

Hi Maggy - do these have to be 'cover blurb' length only ? I'm finding it pretty much impossible to do a real synopsis so short, so please let me know if we have to . An actual word amount would be great, thanks.

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny H (jenny_norwich) | 378 comments Have you got Road to Revelation yet? I could do that for you if not.

message 23: by John (new)

John (indyjohn) | 14 comments Jenny wrote: "Have you got Road to Revelation yet? I could do that for you if not."

Maggy wrote: "Hi Everyone,

This is Maggy, Norah's agent and I need your help urgently please if you have read both 'Gad's Hall' and 'The Haunting of Gad's Hall.'

The producer of the movie 'The Best Exotic Mar..."

message 24: by John (new)

John (indyjohn) | 14 comments Maggie,
I don't know where the movie opportunity is at this time, but I have thought for 40 years that Bless This House and the Old Vine trilogy would be great BBC productions that would do very well here in the states.
You can read Bless This House in a relatively short time and will see how well it would lend itself to a first class production. With the success of Downton Abbey, the chance to weave a web of intoxication and mystery around a historic house like Merravay would please audiences who,will be desperate for more when Downton finishes its reign.
Bless This House could utilize some of the same actors from the first story and have them play their ancestors in the last story ie. Jon Borage=Tom Anderton, Young Phyllis Whymark=Ginger Whymark. In every story, in every generation, there is a Mr. Turnball prancing law in Baildon-- that could also have the same actor made to look older or younger and slightly different in each generation. Merravay is the object of desire for many characters in the book for others, sensitive to the places were you can feel Jon Boarage's deep despair, it make them uneasy and the house undesirable. The book as a whole is an easy to digest primer of English history. Elizabeth I visits after the house is first built. The Civil War has a direct impact on the residents. Other period popular with viewers like the Victorian and Edwardian periods have great stories all tied together with the house and it's mysteries as the thread, revealed bit by bit over time.
The Old Vine trilogy would be great as a series also but much more complex and longer.
I think a BBC television series would be a better vehicle and a wonderful fit with the kind of production they look to do.
John

message 25: by Werner (new)

Werner | 677 comments I completely agree with everything that John says in the message above!

message 26: by John (new)

John (indyjohn) | 14 comments Werner,,
I just discovered this site last evening and have enjoyed all the posts --- when I was 12 a wonderful older neighbor introduced me to BTH and the Old Vine Series and for 50 years I have enjoyed the books on many levels. It marvelous to read about other people's take on the books and the author.are you still the keep of the Baildon area map and iOS it possible to get a copy. I can provide an email address if it's scanable to be attached? Or I'd happily send you a check to cover postage. I have wanted to visualize the place connections for many years.
John

John wrote: "Maggie,
I don't know where the movie opportunity is at this time, but I have thought for 40 years that Bless This House and the Old Vine trilogy would be great BBC productions that would do very we..."

message 27: by Werner (new)

Werner | 677 comments Yes, John, the Bluefield College library (I'm one of the librarians there) is the proud keeper of the Layer Wood map! And yes, our current copier/computer printer is a relatively recent model which is capable of scanning. If you personal-message me with your e-mail address, we should be able to send you a scanned copy as an attachment.

message 28: by John (new)

John (indyjohn) | 14 comments John wrote: "Werner,,
I just discovered this site last evening and have enjoyed all the posts --- when I was 12 a wonderful older neighbor introduced me to BTH and the Old Vine Series and for 50 years I have en..."

Hello Werner,
Not sure how to personal message on here---terrible at technology and social media. But it is, a work email address: jherbst@indianahistory.org
Thank you so much for sharing---looking forward to seeing the map.
John

message 29: by Werner (new)

Werner | 677 comments You're welcome, John; I'll try to send that off to you later today. (I'm pretty "terrible at technology" too, so I can relate there! :-) )

message 30: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments Hi John - to 'personal message' someone , you just click on their name in any message and it will lead you to an easy to use message sending page !

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments Mary said

John, I like your idea of having actors from the early part play Tom Anderton and Ginger Whymark at the end. Definitely the Phyllis actress for Ginger, but how about the Charles Rowhedge actor for Tom? After all, Charles was the grandson of both Jon and the original Tom.

message 32: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments Mary said

In response to comment 10 in the Religious expression thread (Debbie and Barbara), has anyone else ever thought of the story of Ruth as a romantic comedy of the type of Shakespeare and Jane Austen? Naomi was a match-making mama!

message 33: by John (new)

John (indyjohn) | 14 comments Barbara wrote: "Mary said

John, I like your idea of having actors from the early part play Tom Anderton and Ginger Whymark at the end. Definitely the Phyllis actress for Ginger, but how about the Charles Rowhedg..."

I think that could work as well, Mary, iI is true that Charles, the son of Alice Rowhedge is related to Jon Borage's actual son Matthew Rowhedge, and of Tom Rowhedge's actual son Rawley by Elizabeth ,

message 34: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments John wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Mary said

John, I like your idea of having actors from the early part play Tom Anderton and Ginger Whymark at the end. Definitely the Phyllis actress for Ginger, but how about the..."

Yes I do believe - though of course it is never specifically said, that present day Charles Rowhedge is descended from Jon Borage's son Matthew and is thus related to Thomas' and Elizabeth's son Rawley. I guess if present day Charles got his genealogy done, it would show that he was descended from Thomas - but we know better don't we....lol

The original Thomas was handsome and swashbuckling wasn't he ,whereas poor Jon I always picture as slender and rather pale . I would have liked Nicole Kidman for Elizabeth and then Ginger , but of course she is too old now.

message 35: by John (new)

John (indyjohn) | 14 comments Barbara,
I would have to agree we have a clear picture of what Tom and his grandson looked like, definely handsome and robust. Charles would have been the grandson of both men and so he could double with atom Anderton later in the series. Now let's find a role for Emma Thompson and Dame Maggie Smith in the series and we have ourselves a hit!

message 36: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 697 comments Dame Maggie as th4 aged Elizabeth? As for Emma Thompson, I'm afraid that the only role for her would be a cameo one, since the only gracious middle-aged ladies in the book are either minor characters or ones we've watched grow up in the same episode (e. g. Alice). I can envision Emma as Charles's mother, taking that last desperate ride, but who would play the younger Alice?

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments MaryC wrote: "Dame Maggie as th4 aged Elizabeth? As for Emma Thompson, I'm afraid that the only role for her would be a cameo one, since the only gracious middle-aged ladies in the book are either minor charact..."

Oh yes Dame Maggie - or Dame Judi, who I love also, but not such an acerbic type of course . Speaking of cameos, who would be good for the young Elizabeth's parents , her horrible father and downtrodden mother? I can see Timothy Dalton, handsome as he is for her father. Have you seen him in Penny Dreadful!

message 38: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 697 comments Well, Timothy Dalton did a good job as Heathcliff, another meany, forty-some years ago. I suppose by now he could easily play Matt Rawley!

message 39: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 854 comments Here is a post from the Norah Lofts Author facebook page dated June 23 -

"We have a TV company interested in serialising one of Norah Lofts' books in both UK and USA - to be shot in England with British actors. No more for the moment but wish us luck."

Isn't this exciting!!!

message 40: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 306 comments Oh, boy! Do you know which one, Peggy?

message 41: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 854 comments They didn't say, but my choices would be Bless This House, The Knight's Acre trilogy, or How Far to Bethlehem. I imagine it won't be the last since it's not connected to British history but I think the other two have a lot of potential.

message 42: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 306 comments Wish they'd do the House trilogy. Maybe Downton popularity will speed a movie along?

message 43: by Barbara (last edited Aug 18, 2015 08:40PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments Doing a group read of The Concubine made me think fantasy casting .

What about Damien Lewis for Henry?

Keira Knightley for Anne has the required attraction without classic beauty, the right colouring and most importantly the right slightly brittle manner , don't you think ? Or, even Kristen Stewart who has recently proved she can really can act ! Possibly even Rooney Mara.

Catherine - so many actresses in the past have been chosen on the grounds of dark so-called Hispanic looks , but as we know she was actually fair skinned and fair haired. Catherine was in her early 40's at the time of the novel wasn't she . How about Gillian Anderson ? She is a wonderful actress. Maybe Chloe Sevigny? Is Cate Blanchette a bit too ethereal maybe? Lena Headey of GOT fame? Or Toni Colette?
But I want no one but Ray Winstone for Wolsey. Great presence, could easily do the great man-layered-on working class-origins.

message 44: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 697 comments Since fantasy casting can include now-too-old and even deceased actors, I have to note that Anne depicted on the cover of my copy of The Concubine is clearly Audrey Hepburn.

Actresses who have actually played Anne over the years include Merle Oberon, Elaine Stewart, Genevieve Bujold, and Vanessa Redgrave. I think Vanessa (in A Man for All Seasons), although her role was tiny and non-speaking, was in some ways the best Anne I've seen. Her appearance and her mannerisms were very convincing.

message 45: by Barbara (last edited Aug 18, 2015 08:43PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments MaryC wrote: "Since fantasy casting can include now-too-old and even deceased actors, I have to note that Anne depicted on the cover of my copy of The Concubine is clearly Audrey Hepburn.

Actresses who have a..."

True . And I have always loved Genevieve Bujold's portrayal. But what do you think of my present-day ones Mary ?

message 46: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 697 comments Actually, Barbara, I don't know most of the current actresses others are suggesting! I have seen Cate Blanchett, and when you suggested her for Catherine, I thought that, with a black wig and the right make-up, she could play Anne! Then we'd see the family resemblance between her and Elizabeth! ;)

message 47: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments Oh yes of course Cate B has played Elizabeth hasn't she ? That's a good thought, the resemblance .
I think she is too old for Anne as she is The Concubine though.

Anybody else got idea on Concubine casting ? ( so long as we keep Ray W as Wolsey of course!)

message 48: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 854 comments Exciting news just posted on the Norah Lofts facebook page - I quote -

"We are delighted to announce that we have just signed a contract with an American producer to see if "A Wayside Tavern" can become a TV mini series. It's not a certainty yet but we are through to the second stage."

What a great choice!! I hope this goes through.

message 49: by Robert (new)

Robert | 83 comments I haven't logged on here for awhile. But all this talk about TV series is exciting!

message 50: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2083 comments Robert wrote: "I haven't logged on here for awhile. But all this talk about TV series is exciting!"

Welcome back Robert - so nice to hear from you again! We were hoping you be with us on our group reads of The Concubine and now Kings Pleasure - and we plan to do Crown of Aloes so as to do all of her Isabella/Katherine/Anne set , so maybe then....?

Ooh a TV series and Wayside Tavern too. Thank you Peggy for updating us . This is the first time I have regretted abandoning Facebook! !!!

« previous 1