Fear Fantastique discussion

Music > What's Playing On Your Stereo?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 256 (256 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Phillip (new)

Phillip today i went into the city for some school related work, and i stopped at aquarius records, one of the finer music stores in san francisco. i came home with:

1) Flags of the Sacred Harp, by Jackie O Motherfucker
2) Hyderomastgroningem, by The Ruins
3) Under Milk Wood, by LSD March

so far the jackie o motherfucker and lsd march are brilliant and the ruins cd is a bit sterile, which is certainly not what you'd expect from those two madmen from japan (kind of an extreme thrash bass and drum duo). the ruins disc was recently re-released on tzadik (zorn's label) and has only been available for some time now on expensive japanese import. i'm not sure it was worth the $16

but the lsd march disc rules. it's one of the loudest, most extreme wall of sound albums i've heard for a while. they are a guitar and drum duo. this one was recorded and released last year. the guitar thing that michishita shinsuke has going seems like the logical extension of jimi hendrix for today's standards of controlled feedback. killin'.

the jackie o motherfucker was just perfect for the lazy afternoon i've been having over here.

wish you were here.
pg

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip i went to aquarius again today, as i was in the mission picking up my new glasses. i have to be careful when i go in there.

so, today, i'm listening to some new stuff (it's all rainy outside, a perfect day for listening to music and not doing much).

melvins - nude with boots
matmos - west (re-issue of their first awesome release)
boredoms - super roots 3
boris - southern lord
eccentric soul #26 - smarts palace

so far i've listened to matmos (sounds so good!) and the boredoms....i've definitely picked up some new stuff lately i'm going to toss on the next goodreads playlist for may.

and, i picked up a couple of new dvds (!!!!!!!)
rosemary's baby (can't believe this hasn't been in the collection until now)
empire of passion (horrific oshima classic)
in the realm of the senses (another nightmarish oshima classic)
le cercle rouge - great 70's post-noir thriller by melville

message 3: by Phillip (last edited May 30, 2009 12:30AM) (new)

Phillip glad you liked the cambodia rocks disc. it has some great gems....totally bizarre, tilted music. and the fantomas film disc also has some great cuts on it. i don't like every track, but there are a few that are pretty special. the opening godfather track is pretty killin'.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip today i'm listening to rostropovich's recording of the bach cello suites...amazing work. he waited a long time to record these, and the recording has the sound of the old master sawing away. amazing interpretation of this awesome work.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm listening to...Bats For Lashes 'Two Suns'.

message 6: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Rev Horton Heat discography.

message 7: by Phillip (last edited May 15, 2009 07:07PM) (new)

Phillip listening to zappa's sleep dirt this afternoon.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
hey Dave - what's Bat for Lashes like? I've been curious about her...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy, she's hit and miss in my book. I actually prefer the live versions of her songs as they are much more powerful and raw.
Musically, I suppose she's a mixture of Mazey Star, Tori Amos, some of her stuff even reminds me of 'Dead Can Dance' (Brendan Perry lives a couple of miles from me!).

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
OK - good to know!

message 11: by Phillip (new)

Phillip listening to some vintage zappa this morning - burnt weeny sandwich and one size fits all.

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip lumpy gravy rules. it's best served with hot rats.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
Cool!

Listened to a mix of Beta Band, Animal Collective, and Midnight Movies last night...

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip I like the beta band!

message 15: by Phillip (last edited May 30, 2009 12:27AM) (new)

Phillip There was a staged version of that film (which I also enjoyed) and a friend of mine was playing bass in the band so i went down to check it out. It featured the original guy that wrote all those songs. It was quite good as well.

message 16: by Phillip (last edited May 30, 2009 12:49PM) (new)

Phillip Rob, that's correct; I can't remember his name, but it was the guy from the film. Unfortunately, my friend who was playing bass with him was killed while riding his bike (just a few blocks from my crib). So we threw a benefit for his wife and daughter and that guy came down with the band from the play and did a few numbers from the show (along with Tom Waits and a few others that Matthew worked with). Not surprisingly, that guy was a very effusive, funny and joyous fellow.

I also recommend the film for anyone withan open mind and a desire for some irreverent humor.

message 17: by Phillip (new)

Phillip I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that I played with Hedwig's band...I was there playing in a large ensemble that performed some of Matthew's music. Basically we tried to feature a lot of the projects that Matthew was involved in. That's why Tom Waits and others were involved.

Actually, this week is the 6th anniversary of Matthew's passing. I am playing in onebof three concerts this week for the 6th annual Matthew Sperry festival. I am also guardian of Matthew's beautiful acoustic bass. People coming through town on tour often use it.

message 18: by Phillip (new)

Phillip No I was playing with a completely different group, but I did get to meet John Cameron Mitchell and tell him how much I enjoyed the film (and the music).

message 19: by Phillip (new)

Phillip I miss Husker Du!

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
Hey Rob - John Cameron Mitchell produced a movie called Shortbus a while back - I never saw it but it's a movie where everybody has sex, basically (I'm sure there's a plot, but that's the main thing I know about it). Also, according to imdb, he was exec producer on Tarnation, which is a really cool documentary made by a guy whose mom was bipolar and had electroshock treatments - the doc plays around with identity issues.

message 21: by Phillip (new)

Phillip I saw Shortbus. I'm not sure if it works on the whole, but there were lots of parts I liked.

message 22: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Yep

message 23: by Phillip (new)

Phillip I picked up some classic Beatles over the weekend (the white album and Abbey Road) and have been blasting them all morning. I know it's cliche to say it, but those guys were really something.

message 24: by Phillip (last edited Jun 16, 2009 11:41AM) (new)

Phillip really?
I think they might be mine too. But I really like Revolver. I also like Magical Mystery Tour because the songs are so off-kilter.

The White Album is a freaky document, a veritable treasure chest of gems. It's hard to believe how much great stuff they cranked out in that period.

message 25: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Cheers, VJ. Enjoy!

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
I've been putting together a CD of favorite Neko Case songs, so yesterday listened to a bounty of Neko - she truly rocks...

message 27: by Phillip (last edited Jun 16, 2009 11:34AM) (new)

Phillip I'll look for those. I don't know either of them.

I'm listenIng to Zappa's Studio Tan this morning.

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
Aw, shoot - if she was, I missed it...

message 29: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) going to be playing Rob's CD when I get home from work. Thanks again Rob!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

The new album from 'Iron and Wine'.

message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
I listened to (most of) Rob's latest CD - really liked "What's This" by Flyleaf. At that point I remembered that the songs are not in the printed order - thought to myself, er, I don't think this is the Golem song... :)

message 32: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Richard Cheese, that's what I'm playing today!

message 33: by Phillip (new)

Phillip ?????????

message 34: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) think popular songs, redone.... lounge style! Super funny stuff.

message 35: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Sorry, my question marks referred to Rob's comment.

But I am intrigued!

message 36: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) figures, no ones interested in Dick Cheese.

message 37: by Phillip (last edited Jul 02, 2009 11:42AM) (new)

Phillip I said I was intrigued...what more does a guy have to do around here to show enthusiasm?

I'm still traveling (the tour dates are over, but I'm hanging out in Paris with friends for a few days) and am not spending a lot of time online, but when I get back I'll check him out.

message 38: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) LOL... no sarcasm accepted huh? j/k...

message 39: by Phillip (new)

Phillip ahhh, i see, a mere case of sarcasm...

you gotta love a guy that is willing to roll with the moniker dick cheese...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm listening to the new Kronos Quartet recording 'Floodplain'.
I'm also listening to my wife complain about how long the grass is getting...

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
Have listened to the Crystal Stilts' album Alight of Night - really like it. The lead singer sounds like a mix of Joy Division and Jesus and Mary Chain, if you're into that...

message 42: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Honey, I'm home!!!!!!!

Good to be back. This morning I'm listening to Morton Feldman's early piano works.....magical music.

message 43: by Phillip (last edited Jul 06, 2009 11:20PM) (new)

Phillip The trash was empty when I got home....I'm assumimg it was another crafty iPhone feature.

I love Neil.

message 44: by Phillip (last edited Jul 07, 2009 12:34AM) (new)

Phillip Does anyone on the list like Brazillian Girls? A friend burned a copy of Talk to La Bomb for me...just getting to know them but I like what I've heard so far. Really good playing on this record.....that bass player, damn!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

My wife runs a samba band and they hire two Brazilian girls to dance at their gigs, so, yes,I LIKE Brazilian girls!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkSYk9...

message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
Hey Rob (and perhaps other folks), thought you might be interested in this - Alison Mosshart of The Kills is in another band now too, Jack White's new project The Dead Weather. I just read the Spin article about it and it sounds cool. Album drops 7/14!

message 47: by Phillip (last edited Jul 08, 2009 09:59AM) (new)

Phillip Dave, In 1997 I spent nearly a month in Brazil while working down there with George Coates. OMG: let me tell you, Brazillian women are cut from a different cloth. I found it difficult to walk down the street without compromising my emotional state, or the crease in my trousers.

message 48: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
Last night after posting about Mosshart, I rather predictably listened to the Kills' Midnight Boom album - plus a Cult song...

message 49: by Phillip (new)

Phillip i don't know either of these bands...it's a good thing i check in with you guys. i find out about a lot of new stuff this way.

message 50: by Phillip (new)

Phillip shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

(extreme blushing)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6