The Book Club That Must Not Be Named (Cleveland, TN) discussion

Welcome & Introductions

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brooke, Fairy Mod Mother (last edited Jun 05, 2013 07:56AM) (new)

Brooke Nolan (brookesbooksmom) | 15 comments Mod
Welcome to The Book Club That Must Not Be Named...in Cleveland, TN. I'm Brooke, Mom to the Nolan Clan. John and I have four sons, two are adults and two are teenagers whom we home school. We're originally from San Jose, CA but live in Cleveland, TN now. John is a Master Tech for Whirlpool, Corp. and I'm a cross stitch designer. http://www.brookesbooks.com We LOVE books and all things geek. My sons and I started this group with Jan and her kids to nurture friendships forged in the fires of Mount Doom.....Oh, Did I say that out loud? Come hang out with us anyway...We're a bunch of weirdos...You'll fit right in.

Tell us a little about yourself in this thread...

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan | 4 comments Mod
I am Jan Marie, Queen Mother of 2 wonderfully geeky kids. I am a pastry chef and graphic designer of sorts. I am married to my high school prom date whose current hobby is organizing his Magic cards alphabetically while yelling at the hockey game. Originally from NC- grew up on the coast but lived on top of a mountain for 10 years for college/career. I love to read and will block out the whole world sometimes to do so...

We are excited to meet more people to share our insanity.

message 3: by Brooke, Fairy Mod Mother (last edited Jun 07, 2013 09:54AM) (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Hello The Book Club That Must Not Be Named,
I'm Jonathan Nathaniel Bivens. I'm a new children/teen author who lives near Cleveland with a love of all things sci-fi and fantasy. Your group sounds l..."

Hi Jonathan, This is Brooke, (aka: The Fairy Mod Mother) and Daniel & Jack, my overpaid minions in Mount Doom. Are you sure about this? It's awfully warm in here. The air conditioning is off in one of the lower levels and that's a problem in June. But we welcome you anyway. Congratulations on publishing your first book! Looks like a fun premise. Do you think you might be able to come visit us one of these Mondays at BAM in Cleveland? You're more than welcome. Bring your book and some friends.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Haun | 1 comments Hi! I'm Stephanie Haun, and I am a high school teacher. I have earned my MA in English, Literary Studies. I live in Athens, and I have been looking for a book club that focused on genres that I feel are far more entertaining than the typical club. I hope to be able to join you all soon! I also have many other hobbies, such as cross-stitch, knit and crochet, and jam making!

message 5: by Brooke, Fairy Mod Mother (new)

Welcome, Stephanie! So glad you found us. We're having a meeting tonight (Mon. 7/8) at 7:00 at Books-a-Million in Cleveland. I hope you can make it. We'd love to chat with you. You sound like a perfect fit for this group. This is OT but did you know that I'm a cross stitch designer? I own Brooke's Books Publishing and have been designing for the Hobby and Crafts Industry since 2003. I just thought it was interesting that you mentioned cross stitch as one of your hobbies. Small world, right? Love your book selections, by the way. Hope to meet you soon. Brooke aka: The Fairy Mod Mother.

message 6: by Beth (last edited Jul 19, 2013 07:44AM) (new)

Beth | 2 comments Hi, my name is Beth, and I live in Cleveland! I work as the Admissions Coordinator for Graduate Programs in Counseling for Lee University. I graduated from Lee with a Bachelor's in English, Writing Emphasis, with a minor in Literature. Needless to say, I am a big bookworm, and tend to genre hop, but fantasy is what spurred my love of reading, so I come back to it often.

I have tried and failed several times to start a face-to-face book club with my friends, and most of the local Goodreads groups haven't been active for a long time. So, I was pleasantly surprised to find this one!

Even more exciting since it appears you all actually meet in person! :)

message 7: by Brooke, Fairy Mod Mother (new)

Beth wrote: "Hi, my name is Beth, and I live in Cleveland! I work as the Admissions Coordinator for Graduate Programs in Counseling for Lee University. I graduated from Lee with a Bachelor's in English, Writing..."

Warm welcome, Beth! I'm so glad you found us. Yes, we do meet most Mondays at Books-a-Million on Frontage Rd. in Cleveland so come on down. We'll be meeting this upcoming Mon., 7/22/13, from 6:00 to 9:00 PM in the Joe Muggs cafe. We're an eclectic bunch...Teens and "grownups" who discuss everything from books to Doctor Who to sewing projects, etc... All while sipping whatever Joe Muggs beverages we fancy. Hope to see you there.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth | 2 comments Thanks, Brooke! My husband's schedule is about to change again, so I may be able to make it on Monday, but maybe not. Or perhaps I can stop by for a little while. Once his new schedule "settles," I should be able to come.

Do you all meet throughout the year or is this mostly just a summer thing?

message 9: by Brooke, Fairy Mod Mother (new)

Beth wrote: "Thanks, Brooke! My husband's schedule is about to change again, so I may be able to make it on Monday, but maybe not. Or perhaps I can stop by for a little while. Once his new schedule "settles," I..."
Hi Beth,

I totally understand. No pressure...Just come when you can. We are very informal so dropping in anytime during a Monday evening is fine. Jan & I started this book club primarily for our home schooled teens but we wanted to be open to adults also because you're never too old for great books, right? We've only been meeting since May so it's still early in the game. But I, for one, would be happy to continue meeting throughout the year. I'm guessing that with family, school, work, and holidays, there will be times we'll need to go on a break but my boys and I are totally committed to keeping this going.

Looking forward to meeting you.
Happy Reading,
Brooke

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan | 4 comments Mod
Hello to the new people :-) We also have a Facebook page for the bookclub for anyone who uses that religiously.... ahem.. myself...

re: having Bookclub all year. I assumed we were so I am IN!!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments Is this group kid friendly? I have read that many of you have children interested in these types of things and was wondering if this was a family friendly group or if it is strictly adult. I have a pre-teen that is looking for 'kids that enjoy' the same things, and thought a group like this might help us bring like-minded kids together, as well as adults. Thanks!

message 12: by Jan (new)

Jan | 4 comments Mod
Jennifer- yes it is kid/family friendly. We have a few 11 year olds who attend as well as teens and adults. Would love to have you come check us out :-)

message 13: by Brooke, Fairy Mod Mother (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Is this group kid friendly? I have read that many of you have children interested in these types of things and was wondering if this was a family friendly group or if it is strictly adult. I have ..."

Hi Jennifer,
We are definitely teen / family / adult friendly. And we're also open to pre-teens who are interested in these genres. So far our most active "readers" are teens. Full disclosure...Jan and I are "Eclectic Home Schoolers", which means we have encouraged our kids to interact with people of multiple ages and backgrounds. (We love our public school friends too. This is not exclusively a "home school" group.) My sons active in this group are 13 and 16 and Jan's daughter is 15. But us "grownups" are actively involved too. We meet most Mondays from 6:00 to 9:00 in Joe Muggs at Books-a-Million on Frontage Rd. in Cleveland, TN. On average we read one book a month and because we meet weekly most of our time is spent socializing on all things geek.

Please do come and visit one of these Mondays. We'd love to meet you.

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Bibee (andieray) | 2 comments Hello I am Andrea and live about 30 minutes away from Cleveland. I grew up in Cleveland and have family there. I have a son who has grown and left the nest. I am on a path to reinvent myself. Hoping to start back to school at Cleveland State and I am planning to move to Cleveland in the next year. I have always wanted to be apart of wonderful book club and stumbled upon your book club information. I look forward to being apart of your group.

message 15: by Brooke, Fairy Mod Mother (new)

Andrea wrote: "Hello I am Andrea and live about 30 minutes away from Cleveland. I grew up in Cleveland and have family there. I have a son who has grown and left the nest. I am on a path to reinvent myself. Hopin..."
Welcome, Andrea! We're glad you joined us. I hope you can drop in and visit us soon. Our next meeting will be 8/26 at Books-a-Million on Frontage Rd. in Cleveland. We'll hang out in Joe Mugg's from 6:00 to 9:00. Because we are so informal, you can drop in anytime during those hours. This will be the wrap up meeting for our current book, Mrs. Perigrine's Home For Peculiar Children. So far we're loving this one. Hope you can make it.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Bibee (andieray) | 2 comments Thank you so much Brooke it sounds great so looking forward to meeting and talking with everyone. Im not sure if I will make this one. But definitely I will try to make make the next.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer HI, My name is Jennifer. Just moved to the Cleveland from MD the end of of June. Still looking for permanent employment. Love mysteries and historical fiction. Also love working on my cross stitch and family genealogy. Looking to make new friends.