FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity
This topic is about Whipping Girl
Group Reads > Whipping Girl (Monthly Memoir June '13)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Taylor (seffietay) Amazing book.

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 1256 comments Mod
Yes! I finally read it and I really enjoyed it. Great writing and great ideas!

Taylor (seffietay) Isn't it amazing? I really enjoyed it. It's one that I would probably happily read again.

Yeah. What makes it wonderful is that she is simultaneously putting forth some great thought-provoking ideas in an entertaining way. Great writers with great ideas are all too rare. Her bio says she's a performance artist - I can't help wondering what those are like!

Looks intriguing!

Danielle (thewolvessaid) So I read this back in February 2010 for an LGBT Seminar I was taking at the time. Here was the review I had written:

I'm torn on what rating I should give this book. I feel like this book was written to be sampled by chapter and not actually read cover to cover. My criticisms is that this book gets very repetitive and occasionally hypocritical. It gets kind of old for the last portion of the book. However, I really want to applaud Julia Serano for this book at the same time. I feel that she really brings forth and new and necessary perspective to feminism that no one has done before. I also want to thank her for really pulling from personal experiences with gender that really make this book personable and thought provoking.

I wish I had elaborated more in my review because I do not remember what I found hypocritical about it. Maybe I'll have to re-read this one!

Danielle wrote: "So I read this back in February 2010 for an LGBT Seminar I was taking at the time. Here was the review I had written:

I'm torn on what rating I should give this book. I feel like this book was w..."

I definitely noticed what you said about "sampled by chapter." It read more like a series of essays than a coherent whole - but that didn't particularly bother me.

Taylor (seffietay) What stood out for me about this book was someone within the feminist movement coming to the defense of femininity. I have struggled with this in that I am fairly feminine in face (and at times hair, though again and again I have cut it very short) and choose to wear makeup and shave my legs and it has been, surprisingly, a barrier in getting involved with the political/feminist/queer scene in my city. On a number of occasions comments have been made to me and I have been targeted by individuals for the way I present my gender... things like people coming up to me with sharpie mustaches drawn on their faces saying "Look I can wear makeup too!" or when a two-spirited friend experimented with makeup and was told "Don't wear too much or you'll look like Stephanie", etc etc.

Needless to say aspects of this book were a huge breath of fresh air. I've gotta say, being attacked for choosing to wear makeup in feminist circles is very disheartening. No one ever tried to communicate with me or even clarify what my political stance was, they simply brushed me off as some robot controlled by the patriarchy for expressing my gender how I felt comfortable at that stage in my life. Implying that I only wear makeup or shave my legs because the 'patriarchy told me to' is so very insulting to my intelligence, and proves they never made any effort to get to know me because we had many, many things in common. Serano covers this type of exclusion in even more depth in her new book Excluded: Making Feminist and Queer Movements more Inclusive. And I LOVE her for it!!!

Danielle (thewolvessaid) Thanks for sharing this! I agree, being excluded and attacked for how anyone chooses to present themselves is upsetting. I'm going to add Excluded: Making Feminist and Queer Movements More Inclusive to my holds list at the library.