The Backlot Gay Book Forum discussion

Totally Off-topic > "....how does your garden grow?"

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Octobercountry (last edited Jun 04, 2013 10:04PM) (new)

Octobercountry | 1169 comments Mod
Are there any gardeners among the forum members here? If so, I thought some of you might enjoy posting some random photos of your gardening endeavours, to share with the group.

As for me, well unfortunately I did NOT inherit a green thumb from either of my grandmothers, who were both a whiz with plants---they could make anything grow, anywhere. While I do enjoy gardening (though there's no landscaping of note around this place),try as I may, I seem to kill at least half of what I plant---it is definitely not a skill of mine.

But hey, here's a rare success story. Last year I put in three little primrose plants; thought they would brighten a corner. I didn't realise, however, that they spread rapidly. And here's what came up this spring, from those three plants---they've kind of taken over that spot:

photo primrose1a.jpg

I wonder if they'll continue to spread... they are very pretty, though:

photo primrose1b.jpg

message 2: by Aussie54 (last edited Jun 04, 2013 11:48PM) (new)

Aussie54 | 322 comments Oh, they look lovely! I managed to kill mine off. :/

I like gardening, but don't have a lot of success. My son's a professional gardener, and we had a fantastic veggie garden before he moved away from home. I don't think he inherited his green thumbs from me!

I'll post a picture of my patio, though because that doesn't look too bad.

message 3: by Octobercountry (last edited Jun 05, 2013 01:02PM) (new)

I start every summer with a number of potted flowers on the porch---though whether they'll survive to the end of the season is never certain! (Oh, who am I kidding---more often than not, they DON'T survive, darn it.)

I'm curious----what are the tall red flowers, on the upper right in that photo?

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz L. | 89 comments I have some photos from my garden that I'd like to add. How do you post them?

message 5: by Octobercountry (new)

To include photographs with your posts here on this forum, first you have to upload your photos to an on-line host. I use photobucket.com---free to use, and very easy as well.

Once your picture is online and has a web address, just click on the little "some html is ok" above the box where you're making your goodreads comment, to find the HTML code that will allow you add your photo to your post.

If you need any additional information, feel free to ask!

message 6: by Aussie54 (new)

Aussie54 | 322 comments Octobercountry wrote: "I start every summer with a number of potted flowers on the porch---though whether they'll survive to the end of the season is never certain! (Oh, who am I kidding---more often than not, they DON'..."

The red flowers belong to a couple of pots of Mandevilla. It's a plant that's hard to kill, so I have several of them in pots with trellises around the garden. I have a white version, plus a couple of pink ones, too.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz L. | 89 comments Thanks October! Here's a test posting:

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz L. | 89 comments Back on May 14 I noticed that the buds on the peony plants in my front yard were getting plump and thought they would soon be in bloom, so I started "Peony Watch" on facebook. It wasn't until June 1 that they final bloomed.

They tend to fall over from their weight and a bunch were in the driveway at risk of being run over, so I clipped them and put them in a vase. For the picture above, I tried the "sparkle" feature on my camera, which is where the cool effect on the handle came from. And now, the highlights of Peony Watch 2013:

message 9: by Aussie54 (new)

Aussie54 | 322 comments Liz wrote: "Back on May 14 I noticed that the buds on the peony plants in my front yard were getting plump and thought they would soon be in bloom, so I started "Peony Watch" on facebook. It wasn't until June..."

What amazing photos, Liz! The flowers are beautiful.

message 10: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes | 373 comments Those are all lovely you guys!! we just moved into a new house and the landscaping is in the pits. The beds need fixing and there are too many plants. I feel like there is no rhyme or reason to what's there. It's frustrating that it's gonna take a while to get it looking OK and I am not a patient person.

I once had a large vegetable garden but ended up giving most of it away. Then we tried a CSA and again my hubby was picky about the veggies we were giving. This year I planted three cherry tomato plants for my kids, they eat them like crazy!

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz L. | 89 comments Aussie54 wrote: "What amazing photos, Liz! The flowers are beautiful."

Thanks Aussie! I inherited the plants from the previous owners when I bought my townhouse about 18 months ago. Luckily they seem to thrive on neglect. I have a seriously black thumb when it comes to plants.

I like what you've done with your patio as it's something I'd like to do with my back yard. It's small and when I moved it, it was completely overgrown and had long been neglected so I had it all cleared out and grass planted. Now it's a small brick patio area and grass - kinda boring. I'd like to bring some color in and rather than dig up all my new grass, I think colorful planters are the way to go.

So far all I have is a box of begonias - as you can see, I had a bit of trouble picking one color. I plan to hit the farmers market this weekend to find some other colorful items to place around my small yard.

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz L. | 89 comments Mercedes wrote: "Those are all lovely you guys!! we just moved into a new house and the landscaping is in the pits. The beds need fixing and there are too many plants. I feel like there is no rhyme or reason to w..."

I know the feeling Mercedes. My front garden is colorful to be sure, but the previous owners put in way too much for a small space. Last summer it seemed that every week something new was popping up. Colorful but overwhelming. I've scaled things back and it's more manageable this summer - so far.

I had no idea what they'd been growing in the back yard, but it turns that at least some of the beds had vegetables. I guess some lettuce seeds got left in the soil and all summer long, I had a small patch of lettuce in the middle of the grassy lawn. Every week it would get mowed down but it would always come back. I'm kind of sad that it's not returned this summer. LOL

message 13: by Octobercountry (new)

Aussie54 wrote: "The red flowers belong to a couple of pots of Mandevilla...."

Well for goodness sake, I should have known that I suppose, because I've just set two pots of mandevilla out on the porch! However, mine look NOTHING like yours. Yep, mine are rather pathetic in appearance I'm afraid, but I hope they'll perk up.

I had these same two plants out on the porch last summer. But since it's much too cold here for these plants to survive the winter, I had them indoors for the past seven months, and they're looking rather peaked.

message 14: by Octobercountry (new)

Liz wrote: "Back on May 14 I noticed that the buds on the peony plants in my front yard were getting plump and thought they would soon be in bloom, so I started "Peony Watch" on facebook...."

Lovely---very nice! I've always liked peonies, and have been intending to plant some here for YEARS but have never done so yet. Well, maybe someday...

I wonder why ants like peonies so much? Every time I've seen a peony plant, it's been covered with ants...

message 15: by Emilie (new)

Emilie (neyronrose) | 449 comments I have been putting rose pictures up on my Tumblr. They're interspersed with posts about Glee, and the occasional post about what I'm reading.

http://neyronrose.tumblr.com/

message 16: by Octobercountry (last edited Jun 06, 2013 08:30AM) (new)

Emilie wrote: "I have been putting rose pictures up on my Tumblr....

Wow, do you actually grow all those varieties yourself? Very nice!

message 17: by Emilie (new)

Emilie (neyronrose) | 449 comments Octobercountry wrote: "Emilie wrote: "I have been putting rose pictures up on my Tumblr....

Wow, do you actually grow all those varieties yourself? Very nice!"

The ones I posted today were all roses in the yard. They're able to survive utter neglect. I recommend the alba roses as being particularly tough.

message 18: by Octobercountry (last edited Jun 07, 2013 07:51AM) (new)

Ah, Emilie, I have a couple of rose questions to ask---perhaps you would know the answers? I really don't know the best place to look for gardening information...

Would you by any chance have any idea as to the name of a rose that is growing here? (Photos below.) The bush was planted in front of the house about 130 years ago, taken from roots from the farm next door. It's not of a centralised growing habit---each stem comes up from the ground individually, and it spreads readily by the roots. (The bush in its current form is probably between eight and ten feet in diameter.) The stems grow to at least three feet in height, and can get taller than that. It blooms once at the beginning of every summmer, the flowers are pink and have a very pleasant scent.

Does this seem familiar at all to you? Out of curiosity I checked out a page of the alba roses you mentioned, and this does look kind of like a variety called "Félicité Parmentier," but honestly I have no idea---I know NOTHING about roses.

photo rose1.jpg

photo rose2.jpg

message 19: by Liz (new)

Liz L. | 89 comments Emilie wrote: "I have been putting rose pictures up on my Tumblr. They're interspersed with posts about Glee, and the occasional post about what I'm reading.

http://neyronrose.tumblr.com/"

Your flowers and pictures are just gorgeous Emilie. Really lovely.

message 20: by Emilie (new)

Emilie (neyronrose) | 449 comments Octobercountry wrote: "Ah, Emilie, I have a couple of rose questions to ask---perhaps you would know the answers? I really don't know the best place to look for gardening information...

Would you by any chance have an..."

It's really hard to identify a fully double pink rose. I have one I got without a label a few years ago, and a rosarian wouldn't even try to guess. Yours could be an alba, or a damask, or a Centifolia, or a Hybrid China rose, or something else entirely. It's very cool that you have a rose that's actually that old. I've gotten mine within the last twenty-odd years, so the bushes themselves aren't all that old.

But a couple of good books to try are The Ultimate Rose Book The Ultimate Rose Book and the dated but still interesting Graham Stuart Thomas Rose Book The Graham Stuart Thomas Rose Book: Enlarged and Thoroughly Revised. I'll try to find contact information for some rosarians. In Pennsylvania, there's a Master Gardener program in various counties, and they'll give free information.

message 21: by Emilie (new)

Emilie (neyronrose) | 449 comments Liz wrote: "Emilie wrote: "I have been putting rose pictures up on my Tumblr. They're interspersed with posts about Glee, and the occasional post about what I'm reading.

http://neyronrose.tumblr.com/"

Your ..."

Thanks, Miz Liz. I like to share the joy in growing flowers.

message 22: by Liz (new)

Liz L. | 89 comments I'm working on bringing some color to my petite patio. If I manage not to kill these, I may add some more.

message 23: by Octobercountry (new)

For a change of pace, this year I thought I'd plant a whole bunch of pot:

Hahahahahahahahaha! Actually, these of course are the cleomes I usually grow---they self-seed very freely.

Let's see---how long has it been, now? I planted some of these flowers in the garden at least ten years ago, and every year since they've come up again from seed. I don't know that they've ever been as plentiful as they are this year, however---they're growing very thickly, as you can see below. Within a month I should have a very pleasing display of blossoms:

message 24: by Octobercountry (last edited Jul 15, 2013 10:24PM) (new)

Ah, lovely---the cleomes have started blooming. And the blossoms will continue non-stop for the next six to eight weeks (they usually start to fizzle out sometime in September).

The garden is looking rather overgrown by this point; I'm trying to keep the weeds down, but am not fanatical about having it weed-free. You can see the upper portion of the plot is chock-full of sunflowers---these are volunteers that came up on their own. I tend to subscribe to the "let it grow" system of gardening. If something comes up on its own, I just leave it!

message 25: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes | 373 comments Octobercountry wrote: "Ah, lovely---the cleomes have started blooming. And the blossoms will continue non-stop for the next six to eight weeks (they usually start to fizzle out sometime in September).

The garden is loo..."

That looks very lovely OC! I actually am very OC about weeds. This has led to three different encounters with poison ivy unfortunately.

message 26: by Octobercountry (new)

It's a pity that I'm not a bit more OC myself about weeds, but this summer I just don't have the energy to keep the garden weed-free. (Well, it's not like I ever really do have a weed-free garden, but some years I do better than others.)

What the heck, I couldn't resist---snapped a couple more cleome photos this morning. They are turning out nicely, though I'm afraid they're going to get a little fried before we have rain again, as it's been so hot here lately.

The little starry orange flowers are pumpkin blossoms from a bunch of pumpkin vines which (of course!) came up by themselves (I didn't plant any this spring). Hey, maybe I'll end up with some jack-o-lanterns this autumn...

message 27: by Octobercountry (new)

I've noted before I don't have a green thumb---I just don't have the magic touch, when it comes to plants. And unfortunately my landscaping abilities are limited as well; I'm better dealing with buildings than with gardens. Hmmm, maybe I should take a "Remedial Landscaping" class, if such a thing existed---heh, heh--- is there such a thing as "Landscaping for Dummies"?

Anyway, what was my point? Oh, yes... There's a strip of very nice tilled ground running all along the porch here---in size it measures about 90 feet by 3 feet---it's a perfect space for some attractive plantings. I've been meaning to do some decent landscaping in this area for years, but have never gotten around to it, and at this point I'm not sure I ever will manage to do it up properly. So, I just have some random plantings stuck in; not exact the most elegant look.

But this evening as I was weeding I noticed that even random crap thrown together can look rather nice when things are in bloom----I snapped these photos at the corner of the porch:

message 28: by Liz (new)

Liz L. | 89 comments Octobercountry wrote: "I've noted before I don't have a green thumb---I just don't have the magic touch, when it comes to plants. And unfortunately my landscaping abilities are limited as well; I'm better dealing with b..."

I've been enjoying the additions you've been making to this forum. I wish there were a "like" button so you would know that someone's been looking.

My out-of-control front garden still manages to present some lovely flowers too. Some recent photos:

message 29: by Octobercountry (new)

Very pretty! Now, what's that first flower called.... I can't remember...

Oh wait, it's a purple coneflower, right? And if I recall correctly, butterflies are very fond of these blossoms (as is evident from your first photograph).

Here, the butterfly bushes have just started blooming, as you can see from the close-up below. The nickname for these shrubs really is quite accurate---they attract an astounding number of butterflies (as well as those "humming moths"---can't remember the real name for that insect at the moment).

message 30: by Liz (new)

Liz L. | 89 comments Oh wait, it's a purple coneflower, right? And if I recall correctly, butterflies are very fond of these blossoms (as i..."

Yes, it's a coneflower, which I had to ask on Facebook. That photo of the butterfly was lucky, I pulled into my driveway and there it was. I took the pic from my car window because I was afraid my movement would scare it away. I've seen that butterfly (or a similar one) a couple of times since, but it's the bees that that seem to go crazy for the coneflowers. Lots of and lots of bees since they bloomed.

message 31: by Octobercountry (new)

Let's file this one under "interesting critters."

Yesterday I went down to the barn to get a bucket of milk and right next to the barn door I noticed this HUGE moth on the wall. Well, okay, "huge" is a relative term. Still, at about 12 cm/4½ inches across it was larger than the usual moths I see.

I looked it up, and found that it goes by the name of "Eacles imperialis" (Imperial Moth). Rather pretty, don't you think?

message 32: by Liz (new)

Liz L. | 89 comments Octobercountry wrote: "Let's file this one under "interesting critters."

Yesterday I went down to the barn to get a bucket of milk and right next to the barn door I noticed this HUGE moth on the wall. Well, okay, "hug..."

It's lovely Octy! So lucky of you to get such a great picture.

Also:
I went down to the barn to get a bucket of milk...

You keep cows?

message 33: by Octobercountry (last edited Jul 29, 2013 12:01PM) (new)

Liz wrote: "You keep cows? "

One of my brothers runs the farm now---it's been a good twenty years since I stopped working on the family farm. However, I still can get free milk---just take a one-gallon stainless steel pail down to the barn and get it right from the tank. Nice perk!

message 34: by Octobercountry (new)

And here's a rather random photo.... This shrub is called a "Bottlebrush Buckeye" because of the shape of the flower spikes. It's getting pretty big by now---must be between eight and ten feet tall. I noticed the other day that the flowers attract a LOT of bees.

message 35: by Emilie (new)

Emilie (neyronrose) | 449 comments Reviving this to mention that it's that time of year, and I'm starting to post rose pictures on my Tumblr again. (neyronrose.tumblr.com) I think of it as "flower spam" for the people who follow me.

message 36: by Liz (new)

Liz L. | 89 comments Great idea to revive this thread, Emilie. Your roses look beautiful. I haven't had a lot of luck finding great flowers this season, but I've recently posted a few of the peonies in my front yard on my Instagram account. You can see them here:

https://instagram.com/bizbee19/