Horror Aficionados discussion

The Pilo Family Circus
This topic is about The Pilo Family Circus
Buddy Reads > Buddy Read- The Pilo Family Circus (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 05, 2013 08:32PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments ~Read at your own pace or choose a pace

~Post your thoughts, questions, and interesting quotes, etc.

~Could you be so kind as to let us know the page/percent you are at when commenting so we know if we want to read it or not in case someone has not made it there yet?

~Also, to add spoilers tags

< spoiler >Type what you want here< /spoiler >

click on (some html is ok) and it will show you.
Left bracket, type the word spoiler, right bracket, type what you want here, then left bracket, forward slash, type the word spoiler again, then right bracket
No spaces :)

Feel free to join in at any time :)

So far it's:
Nikki
Jason
Traci
Missy
Bill
Maxine
Kevin

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 420 comments This is a damn fine book. I envy you.

Jason Parent | 741 comments Okay. I'm in. I hope I can keep up with you fast readers! And, thanks Nikki (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I'll take it slow as I'm doing multiple reads.

You're welcome, Jason. Glad I could be of help :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in. I'll be taking it slow too, at least until I finish my current book.

message 6: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 04, 2013 08:18PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Nice to have you :)

Missy | 199 comments I'm so in! I have to finish the book I'm reading now and I will join you. This book is on my to read list!!!

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Welcome, Missy :)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments I'm in :)

I have been wanting to read this one for a long time!

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Glad to have you, Bill!

message 11: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments Thanks! :)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Does Thursday sound good to everyone or the weekend?

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments I'm in too! I also have a lot on my reading plate, so I'll try to get to it soon!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

The kindle copy has a foreward that I thought I'd read before bed last night. But then the writer started talking about the plot of the book. I skipped it. But that sort of thing makes me mad. Why do publishers think you want to know everything about a book before you read it? Something like that belongs in the back...

Anyway, I might start on Friday.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I will most likely start Friday~

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clayton (kclayton84) | 16 comments I'll have to dig through my fort of books to fish this out, but I'm definitely in as well!!

message 17: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments Friday sounds good. I am a little slow, so I might get a head start.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Welcome, Kevin :)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Traci L. wrote: "The kindle copy has a foreward that I thought I'd read before bed last night. But then the writer started talking about the plot of the book. I skipped it. But that sort of thing makes me mad. Why ..."

Traci thanks for the warning about the forward, I'm going to skip it too.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I have the Uncorrected Proof, so if you see me typing something you didn't see, you''ll know why :)

Send in the Clowns- Chapter One

Interesting (view spoiler) pulled a chuckle from me.

Char  | 13485 comments Mod
I would highly recommend looking up the author on Wiki, once you're done with the book. The insight provided by that article really made a difference in how I viewed this author and this book. (Loved it, BTW)

message 22: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments Goshy and Doopy and Gonko...oh MY!! I read ahead a little bit so everybody didn't pass me up. Once everybody gets going I will post some comments.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

25% - I'm not sure what I think of it so far to be honest. I didn't know what to expect. But I'm not finding it scary or funny. Though, the clowns remind me of Three Three Stooges on crack, and I hate The Stooges. (More of a Marx Bros. fan.) I'm finding it sad actually. There is definitely a dark side to what we (not us in particular but us in a general sense) find entertaining. And I'm getting a sense of that here.

message 24: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 08, 2013 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I'm finding some unbelievable situations being considered normal or as least nothing to get your speedo in a twist about. Chapter 3(view spoiler)
I am finding certain things funny, like you would if someone thought they were hot shit, nose in the air, who then proceeded to trip on a crack in the sidewalk, fall ungracefully in a heap, get back up with their wig skewed, Prada glasses missing a lens, and limp off with a broken heel.

message 25: by Bill (last edited Jun 08, 2013 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments Nikki wrote: "I'm finding some unbelievable situations being considered normal or as least nothing to get your speedo in a twist about. Chapter 3[spoilers removed]
I am finding certain things funny, like you wou..."

HA!! Exactly! (view spoiler) You know it's going to be a bad day when...

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments 40% in and I think there is a weird flavor to the story that makes you wonder where its going and what its all about. Its kind of morbidly fascinating and I can't turn away...(view spoiler)

message 27: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 09, 2013 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I guess I should say something. And that something will be: I'm bored. The first 3 chapters were the best so far. I'm at pg 200. You had the psycho-creepy clowns that could do you some serious damage, popping up out of the blue, doing things to you, scaring you. (view spoiler)

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 09, 2013 10:55AM) (new)

I am someone who is terrified of clowns, or anyone in a mask, and these clowns aren't doing it for me either. I find them more annoying than scary.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Well, there goes that logic :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm thinking its more of a psychological horror. There are times I feel the main character is suffering from a nervous breakdown or a mental illness and I wonder if a lot of this is in his head.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments The clown paint(view spoiler)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I get that about the clown paint but I wonder (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Hmm. It's a possibility~

message 34: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 09, 2013 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Maxine wrote: "40% in and I think there is a weird flavor to the story that makes you wonder where its going and what its all about. Its kind of morbidly fascinating and I can't turn away...[spoilers removed]"

The way the information is being given out makes me think of the word "convenience." Oh, the clown did this. That's because the rules state he has to do that. It really gives the author freedom to do whatever whenever.

message 35: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments 50% in. I am liking it. There are some colorful characters for sure and I laughed out loud in a few spots. I am curious to see where the story is going.

I would like to see more of the (view spoiler)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I looked up the author online and it seems he has had schizophrenia. Although he denies the book is a reflection of this, I think it was influenced by it more than he thinks... (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Great info and I agree with you.

I pushed myself to finish this in a hurry. Otherwise, in an alternative world, I would have quit this read around page 50. Not trying to be Darcy Downer for those still reading~

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments I think the problem for me was the lack of anything that would have given me sympathy or understanding or a reason to "fight" the circus life for Jamie. I really don't know much about him other than he's kind of a loser. Redeeming was the unique world the author created, the other characters were very well done (Gonko, Goshy, Kurt Pilo, Winston, etc.), they were all very lifelike. I guess I didn't know what there was for Jamie to fight for in the first place. He was kind of flat. (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments That's true.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished!
I'll give it points for originality and uniqueness. The ideas here were intriguing. But the characters, although interesting in theory, fell flat for me. And by the end I just did not care what happened to any of them.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments That about sums it up, Traci~

message 42: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments Why can't I get this finished....why? I like it but seem to be slogging thru.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Puuuush! Maybe it's that you like the idea, but not the execution?

message 44: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments That might be it. I really do like it but think it could be more.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I wish it would have kept the same vibe as the first couple of chapters; creepy anticipation :)

message 46: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments That's how I feel so far. (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I like the word you used. LOL

Char  | 13485 comments Mod
You guys are bumming me out.

Jason Parent | 741 comments I still like it, Charlene! Then again, I'm still in the menacing stage. Might be entering the soggy stage though. How exactly are we defining soggy again?

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments This book tickled me to death from the first page to the last. Yeah, bummer you ALL didn't like it.

« previous 1