UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Book Recommendations > Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Seems to be a sequel to the The Shining.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Sleep-...

Hardcover is available now. If past history holds, I expect the e-book will be around a fiver once the paperback is released.

But didn't someone say they read somewhere that he was being an arse and wasn't going to release a digital copy?

Who's looking forward to this one?

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 10923 comments I have heard about this, but will be a borrow rather than buy

message 3: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments It's not out in either format yet.

Joyland by King is out on the 7th of this month and is only going to be in paperback because he's going for a whole retro pulp feeling.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ah. You're right. Hardcover is pre-release too.

I shan't be buying Joyland then.

I do bet it's out in digital by the middle of the summer though.

Sooner in torrent.

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments King has always been a proponent of the ebook and I think the Joyland thing is a style decision. I don't imagine his publisher is overly delighted at losing on the hardback profits.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Shame he gave up on The Plant.

I actually paid for every instalment then got gypped out of the ending.

Not impressed by that.

message 7: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments Not convinced by the title. Sounds like an 80s soul band getting back together for a reunion!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I want this!

Not fair making us wait. :(

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2994 comments Joyland was a bit of a letdown.

The whole retro pulp feeling guff was utter bollocks... especially given that it was available as an audio book.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'm reading it right now and really enjoying it.

message 11: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2994 comments It's more the ending that's the problem.

It feels as if he didn't originally intend for it to be such a relatively short story and had to make something up.

Seemed rushed.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'll let you know when I finish it.

Only about 25% in.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments 7.99!

Good grief!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh yeah.

I really liked Joyland.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'm loving Doctor Sleep.

Will say more when I've finished it.

message 17: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevop) | 31 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "I'm loving Doctor Sleep.

Will say more when I've finished it."

Hey, did you finish Doctor Sleep?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh oops. Yep, ages ago.

Sorry I did mean to come back here, honest.

It was great. I really liked it.

I always come away from reading a King caring about the characters and wanting to know what happens next in their lives.