Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Birthday books?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam Bolander | 25 comments My birthday is coming up on the 13th, and the only thing I can think to ask for are books. Have any suggestions for me? I love YA books, and I also like R.A. Salvatore. I'm also slowly but surely becoming a fan of Brandon Sanderson. I should also point out that I read fantasy almost exclusively. So, any thoughts?

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 208 comments Happy Early Birthday! My favorite present is an Amazon gift card, so I can go crazy and order what I want. :)

Since you like Brandon Sanderson, I recommend checking out his Mistborn series starting with The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson . Fans of Mr. Sanderson generally like Brent Weeks. I loved his Night Angel trilogy (starts with The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks ). Mr. Weeks is the master of the twist you didn't see coming.

Some other ones I enjoyed were:
Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1) by Garth Nix The Bone Doll's Twin (The Tamír Triad, #1) by Lynn Flewelling (kind of weird but good) The Magicians' Guild (The Black Magician Trilogy, #1) by Trudi Canavan Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card (because you need to check it out before the movie) The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus, #1) by Jonathan Stroud (young adult but really good and funny too)

I hope that helps. I'll keep an eye on this post and check out any other recommendations you get.

message 3: by Adam (new)

Adam Bolander | 25 comments Wow, sorry! Goodreads didn't tell me you'd commented. Yeah, those all sound really cool. I'll keep my eye on them :)

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
I'd recommend Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark | 71 comments Try Devon Monk Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk series.

message 6: by Adam (new)

Adam Bolander | 25 comments After a lot of thought, I've decided to go with Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor
Thanks, guys!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Adam wrote: "After a lot of thought, I've decided to go with Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1) by Laini Taylor
Thanks, guys!"

Yay! I hope you love it as much as I did! (The second book in the series is even better, lol.)