SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Book Chat > Birthday books?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam Bolander | 36 comments My birthday is coming up on the 13th, and the only thing I can think to ask for are books. Have any suggestions for me? I love YA books, and I also like R.A. Salvatore. I'm also slowly but surely becoming a fan of Brandon Sanderson. I should also point out that I read fantasy almost exclusively. So, any thoughts?

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Read any Steven Brust yet, in particular his "Dragaera" novels?

message 3: by Keith (new)

Keith Well, now that the Wheel of Time is complete, you can safely dive into it and not worry when the next one's coming out. I have to say, one of the most pleasant fantasy surprises for me in the last couple of years was The Warded Man. I didn't care for the sequel, but book one stands on its own. Patrick Rothfuss blew me away too, but it's another case of a long wait between books. Worth it though, IMO.

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam Bolander | 36 comments Wow, sorry guys! Goodreads didn't alert me that you'd posted anything.
Charles, I'm trying to look up that book, but can't find anything about it on Goodreads. Are you sure you spelled it right?
Keith, I've considered reading The Wheel of Time. Just downloaded the sample onto my Kindle, actually. I have a hard time reading Tolkien, though, and my friends tell me that Jordan has the same style of writing. They say that the later books written by Brandon Sanderson are awesome, though. I also already own The Name of the Wind. It's sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me.

message 5: by Evgeny (last edited Jun 11, 2013 07:00AM) (new)

Evgeny Adam wrote: "Wow, sorry guys! Goodreads didn't alert me that you'd posted anything.
Charles, I'm trying to look up that book, but can't find anything about it on Goodreads. Are you sure you spelled it right?
..."

A note of caution about a sample of The Wheel of Time: it ends just as things are about to become really interesting :)

message 6: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Adam wrote: "Wow, sorry guys! Goodreads didn't alert me that you'd posted anything.
..."

I wasn't 100% sure, but it appears Widipedia agrees with me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_B...

The Vlad Taltos novels and collections listed there are told in first person by Vlad, and have a modern feel to them.

The Khaavren Romances are of an earlier time on the same world, essentially leading up through several centuries preceding Vlad's time, and they are written in a more classical style. In particular The Phoenix Guards and Five Hundred Years Later are essentially loving parodies to some of extent of Dumas' Musketeer books.

message 7: by Sophie (last edited Jun 10, 2013 04:49PM) (new)

Sophie (imhrien) | 17 comments The Dragaera books are more often called the Vlad Taltos books. That's how you'll find them on most sites.

I've recently read the first of the Khaavren Romances, The Phoenix Guards . The language is very archaic and the writing is very...dense. It throws a lot at you at once, but the book doesn't take itself too seriously, the humour is very tongue-in-cheek. They are very different from the Taltos books, and it may be best to start with those before you get into the romances, if only to have a better idea of the world building and the setting of Dragaera.

If you like more action oriented stuff then The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks should do. Also the Temeraire books by Naomi Novik .

I would highly suggest anything by Guy Gavriel Kay . My personal favorite of his is A Song for Arbonne , a very medieval like story about warring kingdoms and court politics. Most people would start with the The Fionavar Tapestry or Tigana .