Terminalcoffee discussion

Why do people have private profiles?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3385 comments Just wondering why people have private profiles.

message 2: by Misha (last edited Jun 04, 2013 07:42PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Because they don't want all of their information to be seen publicly. I have a public profile here, but from time to time I have thought about possible repercussions if my former employers or sources I dealt with in government or politics were to find my profile and decide I was biased in my coverage because of the types of books I read or how I choose to express myself in reviews I write. I wasn't concerned enough to take my profile private, but it's perfectly reasonable for people to want to be able to participate freely in a site like Goodreads while minimizing their potential exposure if their employer or family members or whoever might not like how they express themselves here.

There's also the possibility that someone made their profile private because they were subject to harassment by other members of the site. I briefly had someone with whom I had a brief disagreement in Terminal Coffee (whom I believe is no longer a member, or at least hasn't been active in a couple of years after only a brief tenure here) making snide comments on my profile and photos, then accusing me of stalking her because I just happened to post in some of the same threads. If it had continued, I might have made my profile private just to avoid the hassle.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Well, I would say that for me it is akin to not letting just anybody into your house. You invite those you want in.

Or it could be the same reason toilets have seats. If you are going to put your shit somewhere, you might as well be comfortable while doing it.

message 4: by ɯɐɔ (new)

ɯɐɔ (camalama) Well said, Susan, well said.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my profile is private because i have a lot of sensitive, confidential info in it

message 6: by ɯɐɔ (new)

ɯɐɔ (camalama) Mine is public, because I want to promote my blog and such. But I do roleplay a lot, so I keep my roleplay updates out of my feed.

message 7: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments I think mine is public? I don't really give a shit about it, to be honest. I don't work anywhere that I need to be too careful about what books I read, etc.

message 8: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Kevin wrote: "my profile is private because i have a lot of sensitive, confidential info in it"

Like photos of your moped.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Dr. Detroit wrote: "Like photos of your moped."

right. wait, whaaaa?

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Dr. Detroit wrote: "Kevin wrote: "my profile is private because i have a lot of sensitive, confidential info in it"

Like photos of your moped."

That is my favorite comment of the day.

message 11: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Mine is private...because I don't like everybody and I don't want them lurking me. Like my mr's crazy ex for one. She's blocked on Facebook, but I don't want her finding me ANYWHERE!!

message 12: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) mine is private cause LG & Scout kept stalking me. please, ladies, enough already! i'm not just a piece of meat, i have a mind too.

message 13: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) *stalks Mark* *ogles beefcake*

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments ::studies Mark's mind::

::sees cute red panda pictures through the swirling mist::

::squeals in delight::

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments mark wrote: "mine is private cause LG & Scout kept stalking me. please, ladies, enough already! i'm not just a piece of meat, i have a mind too."

Scout is just trying to find out what groups you belong to.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Which is lurking creepy.

message 17: by mark (last edited Jun 19, 2013 02:00PM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) good gravy, i was wondering why i wasn't getting any update notifications about this thread or the other ones that i posted on last night, and then saw that i wasn't in the group anymore! at first i had a flash of paranoia at the idea that i was kicked out of this slowly dying still vibrant group but then realized i must have just exited myself when i was changing my notifications. whew! i may no longer post cute aminal pictures but i still want to drop by from time to time to snicker unkindly join in the fun. plus this group has Susan, who is adorable. yes, you Susan, adorable.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments :D

Yay!

Never fret, Mark. Together, we can kindly snicker at the slow vibrancy of this non elitist group. What fun!

message 19: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments mark wrote: "good gravy, i was wondering why i wasn't getting any update notifications about this thread or the other ones that i posted on last night, and then saw that i wasn't in the group anymore! at first ..."

haha :)

message 20: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments Amelia wrote: "Mine is private...because I don't like everybody and I don't want them lurking me. "

That's the same reason why I keep my profile private and away from future co-workers, professors, peers and family.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Susan is adorable.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments ::blushes::

Aww, shucks.

I might get a big head from all this which will surely affect my adorable factor.

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Some people actually like big heads.

message 24: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) That's what ... no. Not going to do it.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) heh Misha.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments ::giggles::

But she did.

message 27: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I don't think mine reads. I think she sits around trying to think up ways to cause a ruckus, or get money out of us.

A few weeks ago she asked us to pay child support for a 23 year old she let move home...who we supported with no help from her until he was 20! (The mister was awarded full custody with no visitation rights for her, if that tells you anything.)It boggles the mind.

message 28: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments Amelia wrote: "I don't think mine reads. I think she sits around trying to think up ways to cause a ruckus, or get money out of us.

A few weeks ago she asked us to pay child support for a 23 year old she let ..."

that's awful, can't you get a restraining order? (if the woman is a stalker/nuisance?)

message 29: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Amelia wrote: "I don't think mine reads. I think she sits around trying to think up ways to cause a ruckus, or get money out of us.

A few weeks ago she asked us to pay child support for a 23 year old she let ..."

Last time I checked, child support was meant for CHILDREN. Not adults.

message 30: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Exactly. I told her straight up that the days of us sending her monthly checks was OVER. I don't put up with her crap. Also, her guilt trips and manipulation tactics fall on deaf ears.

You'd be surprised how hard it is for the man the get a restraining order. I guess they figure he can defend himself? But, crazy trumps stronger every day of the week...IMO.

message 31: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) That's what I thought.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Also to prevent cyber stalkers. I've had a cyber stalker for 4 years now. She recently found me here on goodreads.

If she starts in on me, I will report her for harassment.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I had to remove family pics as well, Zardoz. My stalker already took it to another level. She knows too much about my family.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 02, 2013 10:43AM) (new)

Zardoz is in the Tardis wrote: "Kyle wrote: "I had to remove family pics as well, Zardoz. My stalker already took it to another level. She knows too much about my family."

I can empathize with you. Absolutely."

I appreciate that, Zardoz. It's too bad we have to remove pictures because of some persistent cyber stalker.