Dresden Files discussion

Soulgaze

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Darkcain11 | 324 comments Mod
Would you given the chance Soulgaze your partner, best friend, etc.

message 2: by Adria (new)

Adria | 70 comments hmm that's hard to say...probably not.

message 3: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 282 comments Mod
I'm not sure who I would Soulgaze with to be honest. I would like to think it was my hubby but I feel like that would be a lie.

message 4: by Lndavidson (new)

Lndavidson | 77 comments I would have to say no!!! I wouldn't want someone to soul gaze me and see some of the not so proud moments in my life

message 5: by Cjpines (new)

Cjpines | 90 comments Interesting question...no, not with a friend, family or lover. We don't share everything for a reason.

BUT...I'd likely do it to a stranger if I felt the information could benefit me and the risk/reward was worth it.

message 6: by Lndavidson (new)

Lndavidson | 77 comments I agree. I would rather soulgaze someone I wasn't particularly close to. Co-workers, random people at Walmart. Yeah that would be interesting.

message 7: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 100 comments I could see wanting to soul gaze like your kid's teachers or baby sitters, to make sure they aren't creepy.

message 8: by Ankush (new)

Ankush | 38 comments Soulgazing Harry would be pretty weird mainly because in Fool Moon when he does it to one of the FBI werewolves he freaks out raving about him not believing in judgement.

message 9: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Soulgazing and potential investor or business investor would be beneficial.

What about a blind date?

message 10: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 282 comments Mod
Darkcain11 wrote: "Soulgazing and potential investor or business investor would be beneficial.

What about a blind date?"

I believe using Soulgaze on a date would be tricky. Would you really want to know the depth of stranger you just met to satisfy a curiosity.

message 11: by Magicmike (new)

Magicmike | 37 comments I hope at some point in the series we get the interpretation of what someone sees in Harry when he soul gazes them.

message 12: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 100 comments You think we'll ever get a Murphy and Harry Soulgaze? I find it interesting that they never did soulgaze each other, but trust each other completely.

message 13: by Magicmike (new)

Magicmike | 37 comments Agreed Z, in fact, I suppose if/when we do get to see what Harry looks like in a soul gaze it will be betwixt he and Murphy

message 14: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

best description of Harry to date was Thomas in Backup. Hopefully his soul gaze self is as great.

message 15: by Ankush (new)

Ankush | 38 comments Magicmike wrote: "I hope at some point in the series we get the interpretation of what someone sees in Harry when he soul gazes them."

I'm pretty sure in Fool Moon when one of the FBI werewolves accidentally soulgazes Dresden they start ranting about not believing in divine judgement. Weird or what?

message 16: by Ankush (new)

Ankush | 38 comments Magicmike wrote: "I hope at some point in the series we get the interpretation of what someone sees in Harry when he soul gazes them."

I'm pretty sure in Fool Moon when one of the FBI werewolves accidentally soulgazes Dresden they start ranting about not believing in divine judgement. Weird or what?

message 17: by Bear (new)

Bear IV (beariv) | 156 comments Did Harry ever use his "The Sight", on himself?

message 18: by wayword_witch (new)

wayword_witch | 162 comments Ankush wrote: "Magicmike wrote: "I hope at some point in the series we get the interpretation of what someone sees in Harry when he soul gazes them."

I'm pretty sure in Fool Moon when one of the FBI werewolves a..."

Yeah. That was really weird.

message 19: by Monica, White Council (new)

Monica T. Rodriguez (monicatrodriguez) | 367 comments Mod
@Bear, Do we know that he could use his Sight on himself? He'd have to use a mirror, right? But would it work that way? He wouldn't be really looking upon himself, only the reflection.

message 20: by Stutley (new)

Stutley Constable (stutleyconstable) | 149 comments Monica wrote: "@Bear, Do we know that he could use his Sight on himself? He'd have to use a mirror, right? But would it work that way? He wouldn't be really looking upon himself, only the reflection."

Well, Monica, it's an interesting question. Part of the Sight's function is to see the spiritual essence of whatever you are looking at. I think the essence of a mirror is to reflect whatever is in front of it. However, according to many myths spirits can use mirrors as doorways into our world and some beliefs indicate ghosts and spirits can be trapped in mirrors.

On the other hand, I don't need a mirror to see my toes or my arms or even my chest. All I need to do is look down. So Harry might get a pretty good idea of what is going on with his spiritual/intangible self by just casting his eyes downward.

The key difference between the Sight and a Soul Gaze is the Sight shows what 'is' on a magical level of everything the viewer is looking at, while a Soul Gaze shows the viewer what 'could' or 'might' be about a specific person.

message 21: by Bear (new)

Bear IV (beariv) | 156 comments Thumbs up

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh,this topic is great. :-)
No, I'm not brave enough to soulgaze anyone I'm close to.

message 23: by Bear (new)

Bear IV (beariv) | 156 comments In Full Moon, he says Susan passed out when she soulgazed him, then he goes onto say that he doesnt look to hard into mirrors. This makes me think it is possible to gaze yourself, but Im still curious about him and the sight.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yeah. I think I would totally soulgaze myself.

message 25: by Zachary (new)

Zachary (zacharyp) | 1 comments What would be the best way to describe a soulgaze to someone else?

message 26: by Mayko (new)

Mayko Adriana wrote: "Oh yeah. I think I would totally soulgaze myself."

Me too! I'd be soulgazing myself right now.

message 27: by Madderakka (new)

Madderakka | 43 comments I don't know. Would you really want to know the deepest corners of your personality? Every flaw and weakness, and NEVER be able to forget it?

message 28: by Mayko (last edited Jul 31, 2014 04:45AM) (new)

Mayko Madderakka wrote: "I don't know. Would you really want to know the deepest corners of your personality? Every flaw and weakness, and NEVER be able to forget it?"

Yes, I truly would. How can I work to be the best me I can be or best figure out why I'm walking this earth if I don't really know who I am? I feel that really knowing only comes from understanding something completely. That generally includes the good, the bad and the incomprehensible.

message 29: by wayword_witch (new)

wayword_witch | 162 comments Maeve wrote: "Madderakka wrote: "I don't know. Would you really want to know the deepest corners of your personality? Every flaw and weakness, and NEVER be able to forget it?"

Yes, I truly would. How can I wor..."

I would soulgaze myself for similar reasons as you. It wouldn't be easy but I think it'd be worth it.

I would probably describe a soulgaze as seeing what a person was, who they are now, and who they have the potential to become depending on the choices they make. I liked how Harry described his Soulgaze with Molly. I think it was in Proven Guilty somewhere.

message 30: by Mayko (new)

Mayko Natasha wrote: "Maeve wrote: "Madderakka wrote: "I don't know. Would you really want to know the deepest corners of your personality? Every flaw and weakness, and NEVER be able to forget it?"

Yes, I truly would...."

Nice description Natasha. I think it would be worth it for ya too.

message 31: by Madderakka (new)

Madderakka | 43 comments I don't hide my flaws from myself, but I think that a certain distance from your mistakes is what helps us function. If you had to look at every bad decision you've made out of anger, weakness, lack of knowledge etc. and never be able to get distance from it, I think it would cripple you. And seeing the possibility of becoming a horrible person would as well.

If Molly realized had seen what Dresden did and realized she had the potential to hurt so many people and enjoy it, I think it would hurt her because she couldn't keep her veneer of thinking she is a good person. Which I think she is, but her ability to believe she is a good person helps keep her making the decisions she does.

message 32: by Bear (last edited Aug 01, 2014 08:40AM) (new)

Bear IV (beariv) | 156 comments Knowing that my life is a result of all the decision I have made, I don’t think I'd have an issue soul gazing myself, but I don’t know if I could let someone else see.
I think I'd be more afraid to use, "the sight" on myself. Because, I've often wondered if I met my opposite, which one of would be good......

message 33: by Mayko (last edited Aug 01, 2014 12:12PM) (new)

Mayko I hear what you both are saying and you both have some very valid points but I still would Soulgaze myself if I were granted the ability to to so. I still feel the benefits would out weigh the detriment.

@Madderakka

Maybe Molly hasn't had as much of a chance to notice yet. It seems as if Molly is getting much less direct exposure to people than Dresden due to the nature of her Mantle. She seemed to talk more about dealing with fae, than actually interacting with people other than her family. Plus she seemed to be keeping much more busy. It took her a while to show up and help and getting that much more direct exposure to Mab can't be helping matters much! Hahaha

message 34: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Abe. (wagonburner) | 15 comments I'd soul gaze my closest friends, but, I'm not sure I'd let them, me. I guess I want to know if anyone would let their closest friends and family soul gaze them. And nothing n return?

message 35: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 109 comments Isn't it part of the soul gaze that you see them but they also see you? Not something I'd want to trade with a blind date or virtual stranger. Honestly, I don't think I'd want to look at most family or friends that closely either. I'm content to wait for loved ones to reveal themselves to me in ways that are comfortable to them and in their own good time. As for me revealing myself to them... also in my own way and in my own time. But that's just me.

message 36: by Mayko (new)

Mayko Jeanie wrote: "Isn't it part of the soul gaze that you see them but they also see you..."

I was also left with the impression that a soulgaze is a two way sort of thing. Much like how placing someone under a proverbial microscope would give them the chance to study you just as closely.