Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) Mistborn discussion

Film Adaptation of Mistborn

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by thethousanderclub (last edited Jun 04, 2013 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

thethousanderclub Being a lover of books and movies I naturally visualize in great detail what the events, environments, and characters of a particular book would look like if they were put to screen. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson was a book I found incredibly easy to envision as a film and hope that one day an ambitious enough filmmaker with a big enough budget could adapt it for movie-going audiences.

Is this a book worth adapting into a film? Would it make sense to do so?

See the full blog post here: http://thethousanderclub.blogspot.com...

Brolie They aren't making it into a movie, but they are making it into a video game-- which I think is going to be FREAKING AMAZING.

http://www.mistborngame.com/

Sanderson may be involved in the making of "Eye of the World" -- the first book of the Wheel of Time series that he took over at the end -- but no movie, I'm afraid.

Samuel That's news to me, Brolie. I'm not surprised that there is no movie, but for a while Brandon was talking about making one and has already sold the rights (or some small aspect of the huge process), he just doesn't have a production team to tackle the job. He was trying to generate hype a few years back, someone even made a mock trailer that you can find on youtube. So I'm not sure if they're given up on making a movie, but I know there were definite plans to at one point.

I am also incredibly excited for the video game :-)

Annarose Mitchell Brolie wrote: "They aren't making it into a movie, but they are making it into a video game-- which I think is going to be FREAKING AMAZING.

http://www.mistborngame.com/

Sanderson may be involved in the making..."

Oh wow! I can't wait for the game to come out! Thanks for sharing!

thethousanderclub I'm awfully curious to see the Mistborn game. Seems like that would be a very challenging game to make, and it's coming this Fall? I'm highly skeptical they'll be able to pull it off.

Renée That's great news! While I was reading this I kept thinking " this would make an awesome RPG" I'm really happy I wasn't the only one who's thought that! ;)

Brolie The game has been in development for a while now, so I think they'll "pull it off". I can just imagine picking up vials of metals and having a list on the side of the screen of said metals so you can see when you need to replenish your pewter or tin :D:D Should be sweet.

Samuel- you are absolutely right. But I consider myself only half mistaken. They have a screenplay but they have to find someone to make it. Writing the screenplay isn't the hard part and I don't know how likely it will be. Fortunately, with Game of Thrones being such a success, production companies will be more receptive to fantasy adaptations. Most recent blog from Sanderson about the film here: http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/1074...

thethousanderclub If they do make the movie, who do you think should be involved? Director? Screenwriter? Actors and actresses? I wrote on my blog (http://thethousanderclub.blogspot.com...) that I thought Saoirse Ronan would be perfect for Vin. What about the other characters?

Catherine Hsu While it's exciting to have a game made of Mistborn, for the sake of all the poor people out there who can't stand gaming unless it's Tetris Battle, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can Mistborn be made into a movie!?

Not a hater of Game of Thrones, but the world of Vin and Elend would make for an amazing movie, both action-packed and cinematographically powerful. Who wouldn't love to watch ninja fights half enshrouded in mist? Or Allomancers flying through a world where ash falls from the sky like black snow?

If Sanderson could put half the effort he injects into little side projects into promoting Mistborn to production companies, the concept of Vin on screen may not be so far off after all.

Catherine Hsu The Thousander Club wrote: "If they do make the movie, who do you think should be involved? Director? Screenwriter? Actors and actresses? I wrote on my blog (http://thethousanderclub.blogspot.com......"

I absolutely love the look of Vin and Elend on the paperback covers with real people! Too bad none of the Hollywood actors/actresses look anything alike them...

message 11: by Neal (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neal Simmons I wouldn't bother with a movie. The trilogy is great, but many of the elements that make a Mistborn just wouldn't translate to the screen.

Brolie I always saw Elend as Patrick Fugit (Saved, Almost Famous) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0297578/?r...

thethousanderclub Neal wrote: "I wouldn't bother with a movie. The trilogy is great, but many of the elements that make a Mistborn just wouldn't translate to the screen."

I totally disagree. Although adapting a book into a film, especially one which requires a large budget like this one would, is always risky. I think Mistborn would look incredible on the big screen.

Deeptanshu I agree, Mistborn would have a great movie. The plot can be easily adapted for the big screen and there is plenty of action and drama to keep the audience happy.

message 15: by Elias (last edited Nov 03, 2016 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elias For everyone wondering who should be involved in the movie, this is fairly obvious:

Director- Matthew Vaughn
Writer- Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman
Kelsier- Tom Hiddleston
Vin- Maisie Williams
Elend Venture- Taron Egerton
Sazed- Mark Strong
Marsh- Matthew McFadyen
Dockson- Luke Evans
Ham- Charlie Hunnam
Breeze- Stephen Fry
Clubs- Mark Rylance
Spook- Asa Butterfield
Yeden- Martin Freeman
Lord Renoux/OreSeur- Derek Jacobi
Straff Venture- Timothy Dalton
Prelan Tevidian- Christopher Eccleston
Inquisitor Kar- Rory McCann
Lord Ruler- Andrew Scott

Thanks to IMDb for the names of some of these people.

Dante Gallo I got really excited about a Mistborn game... Until I found out it will be set hundreds of years BEFORE the Mistborn trilogy.

"The game takes place hundreds of years before the events of the Mistborn trilogy, during the early years of the Final Empire. The player will play as the arrogant young nobleman Fendin "Fiddle" Fathvell, a Mistborn. He must quickly master his newfound Allomantic abilities before forces at work can destroy his entire family" - Wikipedia

Elias Brolie wrote: "I always saw Elend as Patrick Fugit (Saved, Almost Famous) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0297578/?r..."

No one else has suggested him, but Taron Egerton (Kingsman: The Secret Service's Eggsy) would be perfect.

Eoraptor What I would like to see is an entire tv series dedicated to the cosmere series with each book getting it's own season and web episodes for his shorter works.

message 19: by AgCl (new) - rated it 3 stars

AgCl Stephen wrote: "What I would like to see is an entire tv series dedicated to the cosmere series with each book getting it's own season and web episodes for his shorter works."

yeah i agree a tv series would be great because they could pay attention to the finer details

Jingizu I would prefer a tv series, preferably by HBO. Some good established actors mixed with some newcomers would be great for the cast.

Daniel Clouser What I would like to see is a Cosmere TV series that doesn't adapt any of the books. It could focus on members of the 17th Shard or some other worldhopping group. I'd like it to explain some of the deeper mysteries of the Cosmere, while the leads visit places that may not get their own books (or explore as-yet unseen areas of worlds that do have their own books). Basically, like a Star Trek series, except in the Cosmere.

Eoraptor That would definitely be awsome, and maybe add a stromlight archive tv series as (considering the length I don't think any other form would do it justice,) and a mistborn movie series.

Daniel Clouser I'd love a Stormlight Archive TV series, but I wouldn't want them to even start on it for at least another 10-15 years. There are going to be too many books in the series, and I'd like for far more source material to be available before any such production begins.

Mistborn, on the other hand, is a prime candidate for adaptation into a movie series. The first trilogy, anyhow. I don't know how well certain elements of the Wax & Wayne books would translate. A lot of it would be excellent (particularly the entirety of The Alloy of Law), but SoS and BoM get into territory that might make absolutely no sense to the average viewer.

Franziska I woul love a Mistborn series.
My casting:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls066797411/

Vin: Maisie Williams
Kelsier: Matt Smith
Elend: Logan Lerman
Sazed: Doug Jones
Breeze: Conleth Hill
Ham: Anson Mount
Marsh: Sean Bean
Spook: Ryan Lee
Straff: Richard Armitage
Zane: Reeve Carney
Tindwyl: Alex Kingston

Jingizu Daniel wrote: "I'd love a Stormlight Archive TV series, but I wouldn't want them to even start on it for at least another 10-15 years. There are going to be too many books in the series, and I'd like for far more..."

It would be best I think to adapt the first trilogy into a fantasy movie trilogy, then if successful, proceed with the rest of the Mistborn and/or Cosmere books in a tv series.

The whole Cosmere universe will however I think, sadly, be too complex. People who haven't read the books (and even some who did) became confused with Game of Thrones. Cosmere is far bigger and more intricate.

message 26: by Daniel (last edited Nov 02, 2016 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel Clouser Well, DMG bought the rights to the Cosmere, so it looks like it's happening (assuming development goes well: it doesn't always). The report in Variety indicates that they're approaching it as a universe, the way Marvel does with the MCU. That could work very well for the Cosmere. Separate series don't have to be intimately related to each other, but you do get a few Easter Eggs and worldhopper cameos.

Now, DMG thinks that they're going to fast-track The Stormlight Archive, but Brandon Sanderson himself said on Reddit that they're in a very early stage of development, and he believes that they'll end up doing Mistborn first.

Link to Variety article: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/bra...

Jingizu Daniel wrote: "Well, DMG bought the rights to the Cosmere, so it looks like it's happening (assuming development goes well: it doesn't always). The report in Variety indicates that they're approaching it as a uni..."

Good news! I saw the rights were sold but didn't read the article.

I would agree that doing Mistborn first would be best. Don't want Stormlight Archive to end up with the tv series running ahead of the books as GoT did ;P Though I must say, Sanderson is prolific writer and a fast one too!

message 29: by Elias (last edited Nov 10, 2016 03:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elias Franziska wrote: "I woul love a Mistborn series.
My casting:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls066797411/

Vin: Maisie Williams
Kelsier: Matt Smith
Elend: Logan Lerman
Sazed: Doug Jones
Breeze: Conleth Hill
Ham: Anson Moun..."

Very good for the most part. I think we can all agree that Maisie Williams IS Vin. Matt Smith would be a terrific Kelsier-- I don't know why I didn't think of him, although I'm still picturing Tom Hiddleston. I can't stand Logan Lerman, so obviously I'd nix him as Elend. Sazed may be a bit too human-looking for Doug Jones. Conleth Hill would be a great Breeze. I love Richard Armitage and he needs more exposure, but he's a bit too young for Straff. Similarly, as phenomenal as Sean Bean is, he's a bit too old to play Marsh. I do not know who Anson Mount or Ryan Lee are, so I can't comment.

As for The Well of Ascension, Alex Kingston would be perfect for Tindwyl. I don't know who Reeve Carney is, but I'd always wanted Nicholas Hoult for Zane. Oh, and Iain Glen for Ruin.

Jingizu I must be the lone dissenting voice who doesn't want Maisie Williams as Vin.

Otherwise I quite like the suggested casting.

Daniel Clouser I don't see Maisie Williams as Vin, either. I saw someone suggest Millie Bobbie Brown (Eleven from Stranger Things) somewhere. She's only 12 right now, but by the time they actually start filming the movie (assuming development goes well), she will probably be old enough.

Jingizu Haven't seen her acting yet, but looks-wise Millie Bobby Brown would be ideal.

message 33: by anon (new) - rated it 5 stars

anon The Thousander Club wrote: "Being a lover of books and movies I naturally visualize in great detail what the events, environments, and characters of a particular book would look like if they were put to screen. Mistborn by Br..."

I Would love for one of my favourite book series to become a film that many people would come to enjoy but I fear that, like with many book adaptations, it will become a major flop and the complexity of these books will be lost in translation and will not share the same amount of screen time that is needed in order to produce an accurate representation of these books and ensure the enjoyment of people watching the film.
I don't know whether there will be a definite film but I hope that it doesn't happen because I really wouldn't want to be disappointed by the result.

Jingizu Jingizu wrote: "Haven't seen her acting yet, but looks-wise Millie Bobby Brown would be ideal."

Okay, finally watched Stranger Things 1 & 2, so I would really agree with MBB as Vin. Great acting, and right looks too.

message 35: by Daniel (last edited Jan 11, 2018 01:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel Bollweg Whenever my friends talk about a movie or TV show based on Mistborn, I get really nervous. I can only imagine that the work would be underdeveloped and cheap. Most of the conflict in the first trilogy is hugely internal. The overarching plot between the three books is the internal conflict of Vin trying to discover her identity which is developed with her written thoughts. I can *maybe* imagine a good filmmaker portraying her internal struggles through the visual medium, but some of her thoughts are extensive and complicated to only be understood as it was written in the books. To pull off a film that encapsulated the brevity of Vin's internal conflicts without having Vin "voiceover" the entire movie would be a major accomplishment- and I doubt anyone who owns the rights to these stories has that sort of cinematic potential.

Also all the action scenes would seem unimpressive. When Vin is battling inquisitors, most of the action is heightened by the complex thoughts that go through Vin's mind. The choices she makes every nanosecond about which metal to burn and how many metals she has in reserve- all of this captivates the reader and is what makes this such a great book- not a movie. I doubt could be translated in any other medium other than a book very well. Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I just find it hard to imagine the movie creating the same sort of energy that the book does.

All that to say, I am not excited for the adaptation of these books. I think it would make an incredible video game (I often imagined it as one as I was reading the book). With the metal reserves and finding metal to burn, it would be like your magic capacity in a video game like Skyrim or Legend of Zelda.

Robert Cooke I'd love the idea of a TV adaptation of Mistborn. If it was a movie I can only imagine it would feel rushed. But in terms of the imagery and sheer dread the inquisitors could bring I think it could be amazing. That said I do agree that a lot of the info on allomancy is explained through people's thoughts, much in the same way that Dan Brown explains everything in his books, I don't think those books worked as films so would be concerned that it could be similarly difficult to translate the Mistborn books.

End of the day with the right director and production team, and you'd hope with the writer working alongside something awesome could be achieved.

Annalisa97 I think that the Mistborn books could be turned into a decent TV show.
I have not read the Game of Thrones books yet but I think that the TV show is nicely done so if a team like the GoT team would be set to work with Mistborn and if it would get enough money to hire good actors and make nice special effects then I would love to see how far it could go.

Ofcourse it would never be as good as the books and like someone said, it would be hard to show the internal struggles of the characters but I belive that it could be done decently enough in the right hands. It wouldn't be the same as the books but I would still enjoy seing everything I imagined while reading and getting to see the characters. And even if it would only be half as good as the books, it would still be pretty good because the books were great.