YA LGBT Books discussion

Book Related Banter > 25th Annual Lambda Literary Awards

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (last edited Jun 04, 2013 10:16PM) (new)

Rick (ausrick) | 6 comments Winners have recently been announced for the 25th Annual Lambda Literary Awards.

For the LGBT Children's/Young Adult category, there were 10 finalists.

The winner:

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

The finalists:

Adaptation by Miranda Lo

The Adventure of Tulip, Birthday Wish Fairy by S Bear Bergman

Ask The Passengers by A.S. King

Beautiful Music for Ugly Children by Kirstin Cronn-Mills

Every Day by David Levithan

Kiss the Morning Star by Elissa Janine Hoole

The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

Personal Effects by E.M. Kokie

Silhouette of a Sparrow by Molly Beth Griffin

Lambda Literary Awards (also known as the "Lammies") are awarded yearly by the US-based Lambda Literary Foundation to published works which celebrate or explore LGBT themes. The awards were instituted in 1988. See a complete list of 2013 categories, nominees and wininers at the Lambda Website.

message 2: by Kaje (last edited Jun 04, 2013 10:22PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16354 comments Thanks for posting the list - hey, the winner just missed being our book of the month - maybe we'll do both, since the winner is a short story. I'll put up a Lambda Winner read alongside the book of the month :)

In addition, the Gay Romance winner was Kamikaze Boys by Jay Bell, which was our Book of the Month read in January 2013. (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...)

And The Celestial, another finalist, is also a YA-style historical.

message 3: by Rick (new)

Rick (ausrick) | 6 comments I should have said finalists, rather than nominees. I'll edit my original post for accuracy.

There's good variety in the list of works, including some lesbian and one transgender specific.

Like I need a longer reading list right now! ;)

message 4: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16354 comments Rick wrote: "I should have said finalists, rather than nominees. I'll edit my original post for accuracy.

There's good variety in the list of works, including some lesbian and one transgender specific.

Like I..."

That is a good thing - the field is still rather heavily weighted to gay (m/m) story lines, and transgender is definitely in short supply still. I hear you about the TBR list - mine is constantly growing.

message 5: by Rick (new)

Rick (ausrick) | 6 comments All of the YA Lambda finalist books look good. I particularly like the look of Silhouette of a Sparrow by Molly Beth Griffin Silhouette of a Sparrow, 1920's historical fiction with a lesbian protagonist! I might recommend it for July's BotM.

I've just stocked my Kindle with both of June's BotM reads and look forward to joining the discussions as the month progresses.

message 6: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16354 comments Definitely worth considering for July - good idea.