What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > Creepy Play from Short Story, members of a family are recalling the unsolved disappearance of a child or a young person (I don't remember the gender) about fifty years previously

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vena (new)

Vena | 6 comments In the mid 1960s I saw a play based on a creepy short story. I know that I subsequently read the story, and it was probably in an anthology.

Here's what I remember: The setting was modern day (at the time) and members of a family are recalling the unsolved disappearance of a child or a young person (I don't remember the gender) about fifty years previously (making the disappearance to be about 1900-1910) during a family gathering of some sort. I think there are flashbacks to set up the disappearance and then the subsequent fruitless search. Later some of the modern characters decide to retrieve some things from the attic of the house the family has lived in for generations and, as you can guess, the disappeared-one's remains are finally found.

The basic plot probably appears in ten-jillion spooky stories, thus making this one particularly hard to find, but the fact that it was made into a play might help. I do know that it is NOT the Alfred Hitchcock-adapted "Rope" though that story is similar.

message 2: by Vena (new)

Vena | 6 comments Trying to recall more details that might help identify this play/short story: I'm pretty sure the children or young people were playing a game, possibly hide-and-seek, when the one disappeared.

message 3: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 1 comments This is a long shot but could your play have been based on the legend called Bride and Go Seek? I found at Snopes.com one recounting under that title. It says the legend is a small part of Hitchcock's Rope movie. It also says the tale is much older, including one telling by Thomas Haynes Bayley in a ballad called The Ballad of the Mistletoe Bride or The Mistletoe Bough. Maybe you read a short story based on the legend that was turned into a play.

message 4: by Vena (new)

Vena | 6 comments Lydia, you could be onto something with the "Bride and Go Seek" legend. It certainly sounds similar to what I remember: a family gathering = a wedding, the game of hide-and-seek, a young person disappearing = a bride, the remains being found years later in the attic...

I don't recall the part in "Rope" but I might have given up on the film before I got to it because what I did see didn't seem to correspond with what I remembered. Interesting. I will have to watch the film again. I just know that the play I saw was entirely about the disappearance and the solution, as was the short story I read.

The ballad and variations of it are fascinating. I think you must be on the right track, Lydia. Thank you so much for posting and giving me clues to track down. I really hope to find the exact title of the play/short story I recall.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly | 60 comments This also sounds a bit like the plot of the movie The Orphanage but I don't believe that was officially based on any short stories or plays, and it was released in 2007:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orph...

If you haven't seen it, you MUST. I am still haunted by it. It's available on Netflix to watch online.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 47 comments I just read the whole plot on Wikipedia. Now I'll be haunted by a synopsis!

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly | 60 comments Even knowing the entire plot it's an amazing movie. Ten thumbs up.

I can't believe the Americans are doing a remake. Why mess with perfection?

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 200 comments Holly wrote: "I can't believe the Americans are doing a remake. Why mess with perfection?"

You're kidding!!! Are they really? That's SO RIDICULOUS. Why are all the new movies sequels or remakes of perfectly good movies? Are there NO new ideas?? The Orphanage is a FABULOUS movie. GRRRRR!

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly | 60 comments Yep:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117...

I know I've read something more recently that indicates they are going ahead with the project.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Vena, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Vena, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.