The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.19 -- Oma1229's task: School is Out Forever!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 05, 2013 08:17PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
25.19 -- Oma1229's task: School is Out Forever!
In 2012 I retired from a 35 year career in education. I was fortunate to serve as either a teacher or administrator at all three levels (elementary, middle, and secondary) during this time. To celebrate my recent retirement, I am choosing aspects of my career as the theme to this task.

Required: Please state the options you chose and provide any other required information when you post. If you chose a cover option, please include the cover in your post.

For this task, think back to your school days, and choose two books from two different options.

1. Option A- Where in the World?

The subject that I most enjoyed teaching was World History with an occasional class of European History. For this option choose a book that is set outside of the U.S. and has "historical fiction" as a genre on its GR main page. The book must be set in a real country (no fantasy countries). If you are not a fan of fiction then a non-fiction book about European or World history that has "history" listed as one of its genres will work. Examples:
In the Garden of Beasts Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson Lost in Shangri-la A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Books about U.S. history or historical fiction set in the U.S. will NOT be accepted.
Required: If the GRs description does not make it clear, explain how your book fits the task.

2. Option B-Show Me The Money

Economics was another subject that I taught. The sujbect itself was not a favorite but I did so enjoy my Seniors and being able to share this last year with them. For this option please read a book that has a cover that is either green, gold, and/or silver. The cover should be at least 50% one or more of these colors.
The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl, #2) by Eoin Colfer Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Talon of the Silver Hawk (Conclave of Shadows, #1) by Raymond E. Feist A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5) by Agatha Christie

3.Option C-Woo-Hoo! Field Trip!

Student love taking field trips but they can be quite an undertaking for the teachers and administrators. However, I planned and led many field trips during my career. As I tried to squeeze Humanities into the History curriculum,the two places that I preferred taking my students were to museums (art, natural, etc.) and symphonic concerts.

For this option read a book with a musical instrument or one of the following things you'd find in a museum on the cover: wall art (i.e., a painting or photo - at least a partial frame must be shown), a mummy and/or sarcophagus, an extinct animal or its skeleton/fossil.
The Soloist A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music by Steve Lopez Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland Museum Guard by Howard Norman Mummy Congress by Heather Browne Prince Once & Future Giants What Ice Age Extinctions Tell Us about the Fate of Earth's Largest Animals by Sharon Levy Dinosaur in a Haystack Reflections in Natural History by Stephen Jay Gould Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael Crichton Trilobite Eyewitness to Evolution by Richard Fortey Remarkable Creatures  by Tracy Chevalier

4. Teacher's Pet

I would be the last person to admit to the existence of a 'Teacher's Pet' However, for this option you can be the Teacher's Pet. Choose any book to read that meets the SRC guidelines.

Hopefully, during the completion of this task you will remember some special teacher, administrator, aide, cafeteria worker, janitor, bus driver, etc. If you get a chance, drop them a note to let them know you remember them fondly. It will be appreciated, guaranteed!

NOTE: Books with genre "Children's" or "Kids" that are at least 100+ pages and conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

message 2: by Wanda (last edited Aug 11, 2013 03:35PM) (new)

message 3: by Wanda (last edited Jun 06, 2013 09:21AM) (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Books Not Approved:

Middle C by William H. Gass

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments is this gold enough? Canary by Rachele Alpine

message 6: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Would you say this is a silver cover?
It seems silver to me.

Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu

message 7: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Would you call this silver?

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke

If not, can I use this for Option 1 - Historical Fiction? It is fantasy, but the country it's set in is real - England.

message 8: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) A Body in the Backyard by Elizabeth Spann Craig is there enough green in this cover for Option 2?

message 9: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Wanda, congratulations on your retirement! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

message 10: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Is this cover green enough?

Fragment by Warren Fahy

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 967 comments Congratulations on your retirement! Great task. Would you consider this gold?
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer
Thanks

message 12: by Peebee (new)

Peebee | 486 comments Middle C by William H. Gass

Does this count as a musical instrument? It's a piano key.

Or Sight Reading A Novel by Daphne Kalotay

Part of a violin

Congrats on your retirement and thanks for your service as a teacher....such an important and often undervalued profession.

message 13: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments JennRenee wrote: "is this gold enough?Canary by Rachele Alpine"

Yes, it is gold enough for me.

message 14: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Would you say this is a silver cover?
It seems silver to me.

Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu"

Kathy G. wrote: "Would you say this is a silver cover?
It seems silver to me.

It is and since I read that book I know just how silver it is plus the letters of the title are gold.

message 15: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Chaitra wrote: "Would you call this silver?

If not, can I use this for Option 1 - Historical Fiction? It is fantasy, but the country it's set in is r..."

Yes, that works!

message 16: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments JennRenee wrote: "is this gold enough?Canary by Rachele Alpine"

Yes, it works

message 17: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Wanda, congratulations on your retirement! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine."

Thanks so much--I am certainly trying and really enjoying being able to read as much as I want and what I want!

message 18: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "A Body in the Backyard by Elizabeth Spann Craig is there enough green in this cover for Option 2?"

Green to go for this one!

message 19: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Thanks Wanda and HAPPY RETIREMENT x

message 20: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Fandury wrote: "Is this cover green enough?

Fragment by Warren Fahy"

Since there seems to be silver combined with the green,this cover will work.

message 21: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Chris wrote: "Congratulations on your retirement! Great task. Would you consider this gold?
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer
Thanks"

Yes, that works.

message 22: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Peebee wrote: "Middle C by William H. Gass

Part of a violin

Congrats on your retirement and thanks ..."

Peebee wrote: "Middle C by William H. Gass

Part of a violin

Don't think that one key is enough for a piano but the violin certainly works. I appreciate the thanks for my service, however, I certainly gained so much from all those years of working with students.

Congrats on your retirement and thanks ..."

message 23: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) The Mirror of the Soul for Option 1?

message 24: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "The Mirror of the Soul for Option 1?"

Yes, of course, medieval history is my favorite!

message 25: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) That's mine sorted for the 2 on here :D

message 26: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Might have to add both to my TBR list!

message 27: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Lol

message 28: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Wanda wrote: "Chaitra wrote: "Would you call this silver?

If not, can I use this for Option 1 - Historical Fiction? It is fantasy, but the country ..."

Thank you and congrats on your retirement! :)

message 29: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Wanda wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Would you say this is a silver cover?
It seems silver to me.

Kathy G. wrote: "Would you say this is a silver cover?
It seems silver to me.

[bookcover..."

Thank you!!!

message 30: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1745 comments For option 3, would Tiffany glass count?

Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland Clara and Mr. Tiffany

message 31: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "For option 3, would Tiffany glass count?

Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland Clara and Mr. Tiffany"

I have been to many museums and admired Tiffany Glass. Yes, this cover is acceptable.

message 32: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1745 comments Thank you Wanda. I've been trying to fit this one in for a while now!

message 33: by Bekka (new)

Bekka (froydis) | 524 comments Hello! Would this work for a gold cover? The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1) by Jasper Fforde

thanks!

message 34: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Hi, congratulations on your retirement Wanda! I am a teacher too but have a long way to go before retirement...

Is this ok for a gold cover? I am not sure which edition I will get in the library but I think it will be either one:
Wise Child (Doran, #1) by Monica Furlong or Wise Child (Doran, #1) by Monica Furlong

message 35: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Bekka wrote: "Hello! Would this work for a gold cover? The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1) by Jasper Fforde

thanks!"

Yes, that is fine.

message 36: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments mstan wrote: "Hi, congratulations on your retirement Wanda! I am a teacher too but have a long way to go before retirement...

Is this ok for a gold cover? I am not sure which edition I will get in the library b..."

Yes, either one will work. The cover has both green and gold so it good to go.

message 37: by Bekka (new)

Bekka (froydis) | 524 comments Wanda wrote: "Bekka wrote: "Hello! Would this work for a gold cover? The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1) by Jasper Fforde

thanks!"

Yes, that is fine."

thanks!

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen Roman Hello, Kristi. :)

Would you consider this cover sufficiently green-and-silver to qualify for this task? Thanks.

The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy

message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Karen wrote: "Hello, Kristi. :)

Would you consider this cover sufficiently green-and-silver to qualify for this task? Thanks.

The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy"

Hi, Karen! Actually, this is Wanda's task, so she'll have to be the one to approve/disapprove your choice. I'll make sure she knows that your question is here, though!

message 41: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Karen wrote: "Hello, Kristi. :)

The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy"

Yes the combined colors work-sorry to be late in responding-lady day of vacatiof vacation

message 42: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Claire wrote: "Option A: In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson

Option B: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez"

Both work

message 43: by Karen (new)

Karen Roman Wanda wrote: "Yes the combined colors work-..."

Thank you, Wanda. Hope you enjoyed your vacation. :)

message 44: by N. (new)

N. (nonodisco) | 203 comments Is this gold enough for Option 2?

Style A to Zoe The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour by Rachel Zoe

message 45: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Nonodisco wrote: "Is this gold enough for Option 2?

Style A to Zoe The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour by Rachel Zoe"

It most certainly is! Enjoy!

message 46: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Is there enough silver on this cover for option 2? Rush Me by Allison Parr

message 47: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments It is close but, yes, I think there is enough.

message 48: by Judy (new)

Judy | 897 comments Would It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8) by Julie Anne Long have enough green to work for Option B? Thanks!

message 49: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Sure!

message 50: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Judy wrote: "Would It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8) by Julie Anne Long have enough green to work for Option B? Thanks!"

Sure!

« previous 1