Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

Minichallenges > June-July Mini-Challenges

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (last edited Jul 30, 2013 04:43PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
sorry for the delay guys!

1. Its all about the YA reality
One of Rachael's goals is to read more books by Sarah Dessen and Susane Colasanti this year. They both write primarily YA realistic fiction.

read a book that is shelved YA or Realistic Fiction - give yourself 2 points for each book finished OR read a book that is shelved as BOTH YA and Realistic Fiction - give yourself 4 points

2. Its all about Game of Thrones
The most recent season of GoT just finished up on TV and while I haven't read the books or watched the show, lots of my friends have been buzzing about what happened.

Read a book that has been shelved as Fantasy, Epic Fantasy or High Fantasy - Give yourself 3 points for each book finished

3. Summer Listening
I love listening to audiobooks while I commute to work - and the annual audiobook narration awards were just announced last week.

listen to an audiobook and give yourself 3 points for each one, or read a book by an author who had a book nominated for an Audiobook award - The Audies - give yourself 3 points for each book read

4. Reading With Friends
I love seeing what my friends are reading (and I get tons of book recommendations from them.

Read a book that one of your friends has recently give 4 or 5 stars to (within the last 6 months). Give yourself 2 points for each book finished

5. Randomizer Magic
For this randomizer, we are going to flip coins - you can either use the following link: Coins - or flip 2 of your own. Each flip is one book.

If the first coin is a head, read a book by a female author. If a tail, a male author.

If the second coin is a head, read a book published in an even year. For a tail, an odd year.

So a H-H combo would be female author/even year; H-T - Female Author/Odd Year; T-H - Male Author/even year; T-T - Male Author/Odd Year

Give yourself 1 point for each book finished

Big Book Bonus'
1. For every book you finish (your edition) between 500 and 750 pages, give yourself 2 bonus points.
2. For every book you finish (your edition) between 750 and 1000 pages, give yourself 4 bonus points.
3. For every book you finish (your edition) with more than 1000 pages, give yourself 8 bonus points.

And finally...
Enjoy!

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 122 comments will try and get in on this

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy This sounds really good. Will have to try it out.

message 4: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments Thank you, Dee. They look great. Just in time for my annual YA readfest with some of my fellow teachers!

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) This sounds fun! I've never done this before. So we'll see how it goes. :D

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sounds good, think I'll try this one!

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane | 14 comments do we get to count books that we finished before the challenge was posted - if we finished them in the first four days of June?

message 8: by Dee (new)

Yep anything that ran from the end of the last read-a-thon

message 9: by Cris (new)

Cris Bergin (sunflower6_cris) | 8 comments I'll try. Finding the time to read this year has been very challenging

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Are we going to post what we read here? I didn't see a point counter thread

message 11: by Dee (new)

We are working on it - Tiffani is going to be doing the points this time

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Cool, thanks Dee.

message 13: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments Quick question: do the books recommended to us in our GR groups count, for example in the Romance Readers' group's Pick-it-for-me Challenge?

message 14: by Dee (new)

For number 4? If they gave it 4/5 stars then yes...

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) Loving this challenge! I'm really looking forward to it :)

message 16: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 27, 2013 11:02AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I'll join in!

Duration: June 2013
4/5

1. Its all about the YA reality - 4 pts (one or other=2pts)
YA and Realistic Fiction
--Revenge of the Wannabes 3/6/2013 (YA & Real)
--Wings 28/6/2013 (YA)
--Chameleon 10/7/2013 (YA)
--Starcrossed 13/7/2013 (YA)
--The Year of the Great Seventh 14/7/2013 (YA)
--Pretty Little Liars 25/7/2013 (YA & Real)
--Invasion of the Boy Snatchers 26/7/2013 (YA & Real)

2. Its all about Game of Thrones - 3 pts
Fantasy
--Between 4/7/2013
--Unraveling 16/7/2013

3. Summer Listening - 3 pts
Listen to an audiobook

4. Reading With Friends - 2 pts
Read a book that one of your friends has recently give 4 or 5 stars to (within the last 6 months).
--Along for the Ride 23/6/2013 (Alicia rated it 5 stars on Jan 12, '13.)
--Defiance 6/7/2013 (Jen rated it 4 stars on Jan 31, '13.)
--Soulless 20/7/2013 (Marla rated it 5 stars on Feb 20, '13.)

5. Randomizer Magic - 1 pt
If the first coin is a head, read a book by a female author. If a tail, a male author. If the second coin is a head, read a book published in an even year. For a tail, an odd year.
--HT: Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins 13/6/2013 (publ'd 2013)
--HH: What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang 4/7/2013 (publ'd 2012)
--HH: Elixir by Hilary Duff 14/7/2013 (publ'd 2010)
--HH: Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings by Helene Boudreau 21/7/2013 (publ'd 2010)
--HT: Blaze by Laurie Boyle Crompton (publ'd 2013)
--TH:
--TT:
--HT:
--HT:
--HT:

message 17: by Wayne (new)

Wayne | 419 comments I'm in!

message 18: by Dee (new)

Zakiya - if you wanna re-post in the points thread, that would be awesome ;)

message 19: by Dee (new)

as a reminder, if anyone has any ideas for stuff they would like to see in a mini-challenge - PM either myself or Athira ;)

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise Lippy | 115 comments Hi all! I will not be participating in this challenge. We have finally bought our farm! we are closing tomorrow and after that we will be moving, cleaning, painting(two households, etc... and on top of that getting ready for the farmers market! So I will be a little busy. Hopefully I'll be able to do the August challenge.

message 21: by Dee (new)

no problem Denise - good luck!

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I'm in for 1 & 2, definitely! Especially since I'm working on catching up with ASoIF

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (whatkreads) Can you combine categories? Just trying to figure out the points system by looking at other participants tallies and thought I noticed that. For instance, if I'm reading a YA book plus it was recommended by a friend would that count as 2 points or 4?

message 24: by Dee (new)

sorry, kimberly i saw just this - no, you can only use a book for 1 category sorry

message 25: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 25, 2013 03:28PM) (new)

Kimberly (whatkreads) No problem. That's what I thought, but saw some who combined a few so it threw me off. This has been my first time participating. Really enjoyed it. Thanks!!

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy Are we done collecting points as of the end of the read-a-thon or can we continue until the end of the month?

message 27: by Dee (new)

End of the month and the next ones will be up soon