Natural Parenting discussion

January/February Book Of the Month: Hold On To Your Kids

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer413) | 9 comments I'm starting this thread as a place to discuss the January/February Book of the Month(s).

message 2: by Jenna (last edited Feb 28, 2008 06:27AM) (new)

Jenna Jenks | 23 comments Mod
I finally got my copy of hold on to your kids! YAY!! Off to read...

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer413) | 9 comments How is it going? I'm only on pg 77 and struggling with the repetitive writing style. Anyone else feel like the same idea has been stated in 111 different ways? I'm hoping it picks up soon because I get that parental attachment = good, peer orientation = bad.

message 4: by Jenna (new)

I feel like it's pretty repetitive, too. I'm about half way through, but Heather said the second half is better, so I'm holding out.

message 5: by Jenna (new)

So... I'm ALMOST done with this book.

While *I* found it repetitive, having read other things about attachment parenting, I think that he's justified in writing that way because it's kind of a novel concept to many people. Your average American doesn't seem to be very into the "attachment" end of things, in fact, they complain that their children (or other people's children)are "too attached".

It seems like the author(s) come at attachment from a slightly different perspective than other attachment-geared books I've read. I really liked reading about attachment for older children, since most of the stuff I've read about attachment parenting was focused on the baby and toddler years.

I'm not completely through his section on what TO do, but I especially like the "collecting your child" idea. I'm going to have to keep in mind that I need to put THAT into practice (or, rather, keep it in practice) as my children get older.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina | 3 comments i just got the book in the mail yesterday. i have to finish p the other two books im reading before i can begin this one.

i am glad to hear that there is info in APing older children because i find it really difficult putting APing into my daily life w/ alex and paris-most especially alex. i have found so many sources that go through on how to AP but only babies or toddlers

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I'm a bad, bad book club member. Mine is still sitting on the shelf, the same 2/3 read that were read almost a year and a half ago. I hope to pick it up some time soon and finish it. Maybe my shame from making this post will get me to do it. lol I remember skipping/skimming a lot of the beginning stuff because I was totally with him and didn't need it explained too many ways to convince me; some of his examples broke my heart though, and made me appreciate my parents for maintaining our connection throughout my childhood and teen years, as I always had them in the back of my mind when making decisions, in a "wonder what they'd think?" way, knowing that they always had my best interests at heart. That connection has served me well all my life, and I hope to keep it with my kids, too.

So I have to briefly refresh my memory on the first portions of the book and then finish it.

message 8: by Jenna (new)

I was raised the same way. I definitely thought about what my parents would think of what I was doing... not my dad, so much, but definitely my mom. I guess the book resonated well with me because although things fell apart a bit once my parents divorced, I definitely had the "don't think my mom would really approve of this" thing going on... for most of highschool. Until my mom got re-married and my sister and I became second class citizens, that is.... Surprise, surprise, that made us not that interested in her input.....