Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice discussion

Your thoughts on miss bingley's character.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ama (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ama I think she was very annoying

Sandra Noel Proud, arrogant, snobbish and unkind. Couldn't stand her, but then you aren't supposed to like her! ;-)

//claire I think she's kind of funny. I love the part where she keeps looking over her shoulder to see Darcy's book :)

message 4: by Noe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noe Yes, Miss Bingley really is the one full of pride and prejudice. I say about her on my blog: "She scoffs at people who make their money in trade, even though that is how her father made the family fortune. She asserts herself into a higher rung of English society by assuming a superior air, and nothing pairs so well with snobbishness as hypocrisy -- Caroline Bingley is the epitome of both. I suppose a book about her could be called Snobs and Hypocrites."
I also think it's funny how she attempts to embarrass Darcy about his finding an attraction for Elizabeth, hoping he will instead turn his attention to her. She teases him to no end about it. It's another remarkable way Jane Austen had of weaving humor into this great book.

johanna Claire wrote: "I think she's kind of funny. I love the part where she keeps looking over her shoulder to see Darcy's book :)"

She made the dialogue more interesting, didn't she? xD

I wouldn't like to meet her. But she was very amusing:)

And I totally agree with her quote about reading :D

Stephen Did anyone else feel sorry for her?

Basing my feelings more on the BBC series version of her than how she was written but...

I know she has a bit skewed view of reality but I thought that she was desperate to win Darcy but just couldn't understand why he would prefer Elizabeth over her.

She's been brought up with an eye to what a "proper and elegant" lady should be and she's convinced that she's met the standard. Then to find that Darcy is attracted to someone like Elizabeth Bennet.

Aisling I always felt rather sorry for her. Clearly she is a snob and an unpleasant woman but I've always had the feeling she was a very frightened and insecure person. Frightened that her brother would "marry beneath him" and in doing so damage her chances of getting a suitable husband. As with Mrs Bennett I always feel a sympathy for the women of that period as the pressure to marry and marry well or get their daughters married well must have been tremendous - the stakes being so high, it is hardly surprising that they fought dirty!

Chelsea I agree to an extent with Aisling and Stephen. I do think she was mostly a product of the time. Her upbringing would have dictated that she think and behave in a certain way. She was probably taught to use subtle means to undermine her rival. She possibly didn't realize how much her brother cared for Jane, it was mentioned in the book that he "fell in love" often, she may have thought it was just another crush he would get over. If she was actually in love with Darcy, not just after his fortune and connections, then it would have been difficult to stand by and do nothing while watching him fall in love with someone else. She would have been desperate to do something, anything to keep his attention off of Elizabeth and focus it on her. Her helping to separate Mr. Bingley and Jane may have been a combination of worries about what such a sister-in-law would mean for her reputation, a way to get Darcy's attention by conspiring with him, and also a subtle way to point out Elizabeth's unsuitability. If Jane Bennet is not good enough for Charles Bingley, then surely her sister is not good enough for Fitzwilliam Darcy.

That said, I do not think that upbringing is an excuse to be selfish, rude or "catty" to others and, in that way, she missed the mark of what a true "gentlewoman" could be. I believe that in a way her behavior helped to highlight Elizabeth's good qualities. Elizabeth never retaliated or sank to Caroline's level. Darcy (and the readers) could see a clear contrast. A woman raised with every advantage behaving badly while the "poor" unconnected girl acts with perfect gentility. She was definitely an important character in the novel. She added perspective, depth, and humor.

Anna Wow, Chelsea, very well put. That makes absolutely perfect sense! She did indeed miss the mark. Well said. :)