Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Seasonal Watches > Summer-Summer Wars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The movie we are watching this summer is Summer Wars. Here is the Crunchyroll page with information. Unfortunately, CR doesn't have the movie.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Su...

Discuss Summer Wars here!

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Summer Wars is a really cool movie. It's made by the same people who did The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, so you know it can't be bad. I'm so proud of my library for introducing me to this movie. They knew about an anime that I didn't: that's really awesome.

I love the contrast between the video game world and the real one. OZ is so bright and chaotic, floating in the ether and the real world is so natural and traditional. Lovely style choices there.

Summer Wars is also a nice mix of sci-fi and slice of life. I love it when the fantastic and the mundane are combined so well.

message 3: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 747 comments I LOVED the movie. In fact, it was my first anime-movie I ever watched. I loved how the movie tied in with the "Cyber World" and the "Real World". The action that took place in the "Cyber World" would affect the "Real World".

I loved the anime style and the characteristics of the characters.

Everyone here should definitely watch Summer Wars.

message 4: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2016 comments Mod
What scared me was just how possible some of this crazy stuff is. I mean, how much info to we willing give to Facebook? Imagine if a massive virus like the Love Machine got onto FB!

message 5: by Mike (last edited Jul 08, 2013 11:49AM) (new)

Mike | 389 comments I remember it took me forever to get around to this even though I loved The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Once I watched it I absolutely adored it and kicked myself for waiting. It's imaginative, wonderfully paced and has a fantastic cast. Anyone who hasn't seen it should definitely give it a shot.

Kristen wrote: "I love the contrast between the video game world and the real one. OZ is so bright and chaotic, floating in the ether and the real world is so natural and traditional. Lovely style choices there. "

This is one of the things that really stood out to me too. The contrast was great and yet both worlds we're so well done neither outshone the other.

message 6: by Hardian (last edited Jul 08, 2013 04:17PM) (new)

Hardian | 21 comments Mike wrote: "I remember it took me forever to get around to this even though I loved The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Once I watched it I absolutely adored it and kicked myself for waiting."

Me too. I've seen some minutes of the movie opening but then I thought the beginning of this movie didn't seem to really appealing for me. Until I tried to continue watching till the chaos started to happen, and I realized that I've been underestimating this movie.

I really like the scene after (view spoiler) where the 'camera' steadily shot the family in grief from behind like a long picture. That's the first time I realized that this movie has some cinematic touch considering it to be a summer-entertainment-movie, which I shouldn't have underestimated.

The theme of big family is also very well presented. I heard that Mamoru Hosoda, the director, has just married when he made Summer Wars and thus become a part of a new family, cmiiw, and that he realized that a family can really has a strong bond for which each family member may affect each other. I can see his view on that here.

This is my first Hosoda's film I watched back then. Then I watched his other feature, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which I also liked. I wish to see another of his family themed movie, "Wolf Children, Ame and Yuki" anytime soon.