What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult vampire novel about a woman attacked on her way to a store or takeaway place. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nella (new)

Nella | 8 comments I can't remember which site I came across this book on between 2010-2011 but it was either through sapphire star publishers or something similar....maybe an advert on writerspace.com. I don't think the author is well known and I can't remember who it is.

SPOILER ALERT!

I remember reading the first chapter which involved a woman who was thinking to herself about how she is almost 30 years old, still single, living on her own and wondering if she will ever meet the man for her. She was either a journalist or a writer.....something to do with the media, and was working on her pc/laptop at home.

The woman then decided to have dinner or wanted ice cream/chocolate....something along those lines. Opened her fridge and there was hardly anything in there, so she decided to take a walk to a store or takeaway place to get something to eat.

While she was walking in the dark she sensed someone following her and noticed a man in the shadows. She tried to go faster but he kept stalking her and there was no one else around on the street. The man grabbed her and she tried to get away.

The description by the author at this point is what made the book stick in my head. The man picks the woman up to drag her into an alleyway or some place darker (near a bin maybe?) and the woman is shocked and wonders how he picks her up so easily when she is not a 'small woman'.

The man then pins her to the ground and bends her neck back to a point that is painful and the woman hears a pop or something. He then says something like 'you're a juicy pig/piggy'. The woman then feels his fangs sink into her neck and there is a description of her feeling him feed and how painful it is.

When he's done he disappears and the woman is left bleeding and going unconscious.....That's all I remember.

I have tried searching as many sites as I can over the past year and have come up with nothing. Any help will be very much appreciated!!!!

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney  | 80 comments Is it Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1) by Dianne Sylvan ? It's a vampire novel and I remember she was taken into an alleyway at the beginning.

message 3: by Nella (new)

Nella | 8 comments I don't think its Queen of Shadows. The female character in the book seemed quite normal and average....I don't remember her having any special abilities. I'm definitely going to be reading Queen of Shadows though, it sounds like a very good book :)

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna (annaknin) | 11 comments I can't help you, but I have to say that the plot sounds interesting. Bump, hope someone else knows. :)

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 215 comments Sort of sounds like Jody's side of the story in Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
Not sure what your book is Nella--except is sounds interesting. I've read one where she was turned because the vamp didn't think getting shot by the town drunk and left to die on the side of the road was the way for her to die. Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs

And another one where the woman is attacked in a bar, but manages to kill the one that turned her Bitten & Smitten

MB (What she read) | 136 comments Bite Me If You Can? Your plot synopsis varies a little in details, but this book begins in a very similar way. (It's worth noting that Jackie is attacked and turned by villain.)

message 8: by Christie (new)

Christie | 153 comments It does sound similar to Bloodsucking Fiends. I really enjoyed that series by Christopher Moore. It was definitely an adult series, and really quite funny.

message 9: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (supermanslois) | 7 comments I'm not sure if this is it because of the vampire attack but the whole woman being dragged into an alley way reminds me of Dark Lover which is the first novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Of course, if you're a vampire book reader, I'm sure you've heard of BDB so its probably not it. But thought I'd put out there on the slim chance it might be or if you've never heard of BDB, trust me that's an awesome series! :D good luck!

message 10: by Nella (new)

Nella | 8 comments I've had a quick look at all your suggestions but none of them are the one :(.

The suggested books sound amazing though. I haven't read any of them but they are now on my 'To Read' list :).

So the search goes on....

message 11: by Jai (new)

Jai | 61 comments Did you take a look at Dark Lover like Tanya suggested? It's exactly like your original post; it's almost uncanny how it matches.

message 12: by Nella (new)

Nella | 8 comments Yeah I had a look at Dark Lover. It's definitely not the one. The unknown book only had one man attack her and it was for feeding, nothing else, and there was no escape in what I read. She definitely got bitten and the vampire fed and left her where she was.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36945 comments Mod
Nella, are you still looking for this book?

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
Bitten & Smitten doesn't really match, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

message 15: by Kris (new)

Kris | 30986 comments Mod
Nella, do you see your book in this Listopia - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7... ?

message 16: by Nella (new)

Nella | 8 comments Hi Lobstergirl, Ann and Kris, yes I'm still looking for this book. Thanks for the suggestions, I will go through them and see if its one of them. It's so frustrating! I can't believe I still don't know what it's called :(

message 17: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 10 comments Could this be One hell f the Undead Series by MaryJanice Davidson? Here's a link to her Wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MaryJ...

message 18: by Kris (new)

Kris | 30986 comments Mod
GR link for Brittany's suggestion of the "Undead" series by MaryJanice Davidson = https://www.goodreads.com/series/4299...

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3 comments Lynsey Sands or Chloe Neill? Just throwing the names out there.

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim Coate | 26 comments Could it be Blood Thirst?
Blood Thirst

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) How about Gabriel's Mate (Scanguards Vampires, #3) by Tina Folsom ?

message 22: by David (new)

David (davidofterra) | 58 comments Nella,

Is it the The Becoming?

message 23: by Nella (new)

Nella | 8 comments Thank you all for the suggestions! I've been going through your suggestions over the past few years but haven't found the unknown book. I did come across a fan fiction story on Google that had exactly what I wrote in this post, word for word. I got all excited thinking I had found it until I saw that it had been written a few years after my post :( ....sighhh.....at least my post inspired someone :). So the search continues....

message 24: by Nella (new)

Nella | 8 comments Bump