Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Urban Fantasy Titles

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikka (new)

Nikka (nikkam) | 4 comments I'm having some difficulty finding new books to read. I tend to lean more toward series then stand alone novels, but at this point I'm willing to try anything. My biggest problem is that I go through books so quickly that I'm stuck waiting for new books in all my fav series, or stuck waiting for them to come out into paperback. So I figure you guys can help me out here.

A quick list of what I've already read and a quick rating on the overall series:

Anita Blake - Laurell K Hamilton ****
Women of the Otherworld - Kelley Armstrong *****
Weather Wardens/Outcast - Rachel Caine *****
Rachel Morgan (Hollows) - Kim Harrison *****
Dresden Files - Jim Butcher *****
Zodiac Series - Vicki Petterson *****
Werecat Series - Rachel Vincent ****
Blood Ties series - Jennifer Armintrout ****
Mercy Thompson / Alpha & Omega - Patricia Briggs ****
Kitty the Werewolf - Carrie Vaughan ***
Cassie Palmer/Midnights Daughter - Karen Chance *****
Magic Series - Ilona Andrews ****
Dante Valentine - Lilith Saintcrow ****
Night Huntress - Jeaniene Frost *****
Rogue Mage - FAith Hunter ***
Cal Leandros - Rob Thurman ***
Twilight series - Stephanie Meyer ***
Vampire Chronicles - Anne Rice ***
Nightside Series - Simon R. Green ***
Witchling - YAsmine Galnorm * (didn't bother with the rest)
Devil Inside - Jenna Black ** (currently reading, and not enjoying at all.)

I'm probably missing a couple, but that should be more then enough to get an idea of what I'm into. Any suggestions are appreciated.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Have you tried these yet?

Meredith Gentry-Laurell K. Hamilton
Fever series-Karen Marie Moning
Riley Jenson series-Keri Arthur
Darkyn series-Lynn Viehl
Any Neil Gaiman title
Greywalker series-Kat Richardson
Dark Swan series-Richelle Mead
Tales of an Extraordinary Girl series-Gena Showalter
Hunter's Kiss-Marjorie M. Liu

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments Try Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires. They're young adult, but very good. For that matter, check out my 'Read' shelf for suggestions.

message 4: by Dejsha (new)

Dejsha | 46 comments There is a new author Devon Monk. Her series just started last fall - Magic to the Bone and book 2 (Magic in the Blood) is out May 5th.

Also some I read a while ago and really liked:

Jeanne C. Stein's Anna Strong series - The Becoming (#1)
C.E. Murphy's Negotiator series - Heart of Stone (#1)
Tanya Huff's Victoria Nelson series - Blood Price (#1)

Ann Aguirre is a great writer. I really loved Grimspace which is SciFi but she just had an urban fantasy published that I cannot wait to read.

Anyway, a few of my suggestions. Hope they are helpful.

:o)

message 5: by Nikka (new)

Nikka (nikkam) | 4 comments Sarah - I was really iffy about the Gentry series by LKH, the Anita Blake series is getting a little out of hand for me, is that series any better?

Jessica - I thought about the Morganville series a few times, as Caine is one of my favourite authors. I'll have to check this series out.

Jennifer - I wasn't a fan the Tv show, are the books better?

Dejsha - I did read the Victory Nelson series... forgot that one.

The rest are all going on my to read list. Thanks!

message 6: by Joseph (last edited Apr 26, 2009 09:07AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments You might like these also:
Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator- Carole Nelson Douglas
A Quincy Morris Supernatural Investigation- Justin Gustainis
Nocturne City- Caitlin Kittredge
The Others- Christine Warren
The House of Night- P. C. Cast
Diana Tregarde Investigation- Mercedes Lackey
The Elemental Masters- Mercedes Lackey

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Meredith Gentry is really just more of the same, only with fae instead of vamps. If you were getting fed up with Anita, Merry won't be much different.

As for the Sookie Stackhouse books, they are different from the TV show. I like the books much better, so I'd recommend those, too.

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Jessica wrote: "Try Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires. They're young adult, but very good. For that matter, check out my 'Read' shelf for suggestions."

I'll second this suggestion! I'm not all that crazy about Caine's Weather Warden series, but I love the Morganville series. They were recommended to me by my niece and I read them all one after the other!

message 9: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Jennifer wrote: "I don't see Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books on your list..."

This is one of my favorite series. The books are great! I liked the show, too, but the books are better. Tara is an almost non-existant character in the books.

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Joseph wrote: "You might like these also:
Diana Tregarde Investigation- Mercedes Lackey ..."

I had almost forgotten the Diana Tregarde books. Read those years ago, before urban fantasy was even considered a genre. I read the first House of Night book and detested it. Really got under my skin.

message 11: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Jennifer wrote: You might also check out the Succubus Blues series by Richelle Mead and the Nikki Styx series by Teri Garrey, if you haven't read those yet. Very good stories..."

You're one of a very few people I've come across who've read Terri Garey's books. I really like them. Another series is Casey Daniels' Pepper Martin books. They're promoted as mysteries, but Pepper sees ghosts. Also Wendy Roberts Ghostdusters series is good. There are 2 of them so far. And lastly, Mark del Franco has a series that revolves around the fae in Boston.

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 18 comments Melodie wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I don't see Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books on your list..."

This is one of my favorite series. The books are great! I liked the show, too, but the books are better...."

Has anybody heard when the new ones will be starting?

message 13: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Margaret wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I don't see Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books on your list..."

I liked the show, too, but the boo...Has anybody heard when the new ones will be starting?"

Season 2 of True Blood starts June 14th!

message 14: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments Melodie wrote: "Joseph wrote: "You might like these also:
Diana Tregarde Investigation- Mercedes Lackey ..."

I had almost forgotten the Diana Tregarde books. Read those years ..."

Melodie, actually, I agree with you about the House of Night books. I got a little further, about halfway into book 2 before I finally just got sick of the whole thing. I just thought I would suggest it anyway since, as I'm sure you know, one person's trash can be another person's treasure.

message 15: by Schnaucl (last edited Apr 30, 2009 02:32PM) (new)

Schnaucl | 30 comments Mark Del Franco's Connor Grey series (just be aware the first book isn't as strong as the next two).

You might like John Meany's Tristopolis series. It's not urban fantasy as I define it, I think of it as pure fantasy (it takes place in an imaginary land rather than a real one but with magic), but the mood feels similar to me.

I also think you'd like the Morganville series based on what you've said.

Kat Richardson's Greywalker series is very good but I'll warn you that Harper is not like most urban fantasy female protagonists. Her personal life isn't as big a part of the story and she doesn't care about fashion. I'm not knocking either way, I like both types of series. But it does feel more noir. So does Simon R. Green's Nightside series.

Justin Gustainis' Quincy Morris series.

I like Hunter's Kiss by Marjorie M. Liu, but it's the first and only book in the series. The second one comes out some time later this year, I believe.

By the way, I noticed you've read Small Favor but haven't read Turn Coat yet. If you want to find out what happened to the character that was injured in Small Favor you should pick up Mean Streats before you read Turn Coat because it's never mentioned in Turn Coat. (I love Jim Butcher but this habit of only addressing some major things in stories in random anthologies can be annoying sometimes).

message 16: by michelyn (new)

michelyn (memechose) | 1 comments second greywalker and nightside. loving Madelyn's Ghost and also the Remy Chandler series...