The Robin Hobb Collection discussion

The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)
This topic is about The Mad Ship
Book 5 - The Mad Ship > The Mad Ship > Chapter Thirty One to Thirty Five

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hanne (hanne2) | 791 comments Mod
ch 31 - what on earth is the mysterious "buzzying" bruise at the back of malta's neck?
plus, wasn't Reyn complaining about something 'growing' at the base of his neck too?
seems to be quite the coincidence (not!)

i am no longer in doubt: davad restart is a despicable opportunist. how on earth does he think ronica will be pleased if malta would be become the satrap's newest consort?
on what planet does that man live? and that while the vestrits have stood by him. uck!

ch 32 - it seems to be very very dark on that road. how do the horses and the coachman find their way? i guess the only people who are really good at seeing in the dark or the rain wild traders? were they trying to capture satrap to avoid something worse happening?

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments You'll probably finish this before me - I won't get to this tonight - football. Darn TV rots the brain! Especially when footballers are involved. Hopefully no one pees on the field this game.
I'll probably be finished over the weekend.

i'm traveling so my reading times are very unreliable. i did want to check about book 3 though, would you mind me pushing that one back with one or two weeks? i will not be able to start the next one (need to read erikson first). maybe july 1st?

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments That would be ok with me

ok! i changed it to july 1st which is two weeks after.

ch 33 - Paragon recognizing the serpent is spooky "I knew you. And you knew me. By your poisons i know myself. Blood is memory."
so would poison on the wizardwood deck have the same effect as how the serpents used their poison to make the others remember?

can i just ask what on earth they were thinking putting the rapist on Althea's watch to start with??
i'm proud of her nonetheless, but why not start with putting him on someone else's watch?

ch 34 - weren't we all fooled!!

it all starts with a comment from Vivancia when she approaches Others Island: "I began here, not once, but many times" - so this might be there hatching place...

strange as well is that there seem to be no treasures on the beach. are they all gone? or are they normally hallucinations and wintrow is too pure and too non-greedy to see anything apart from shells?

he does find an caged alcove though, and what he finds in there is unbelievable: a locked serpent, who says that she is the one who remembers!!

so what? serpents are "born" on others islands and then guided towards the rain wilds to hatch into memories and be dragons? the ones who should be awaiting them are the ones that are being killed for wizardwood?

looks like ambers should have gone after wintrow after all, who know is also touched by serpents and thinks like them, plus has some memories of them.
and the rain wild traders are up for a rough time if all those serpents are going to go up the river, and find out that the others are dead...

this book is so fabulous!!

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "ch 31 - what on earth is the mysterious "buzzying" bruise at the back of malta's neck?
plus, wasn't Reyn complaining about something 'growing' at the base of his neck too?
seems to be quite the coincidence (not!)"

Maybe this is the dragon "marking" them.

Ch32 The Satrap need a good beating after the way he treated Malta

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "so would poison on the wizardwood deck have the same effect as how the serpents used their poison to make the others remember?
"

Yeah, that's how the serpents made Ringsgold remember.

ch 34 - weren't we all fooled!!

Yes we were. We found the one who remembers.

Ch33 - the "blood is memory" comment is interesting. We'vce seen Vivacia also absorb some of the memories when human blood is spilled on her like when Kennit bleeds on her when he gets his leg chopped off.

It's all getting interesting now

ch 35 - for me next holiday: rain wild city please. malta's description of the place sounds like heaven!

what is it with these vestrits? why do they all go and seek out dragons? she just got rid of the connection with this one and she goes after it

(ps. yes i'm finished with the book, but i took some notes after each chapter on the plane, so i'm just copying that :))

message 12: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments Hanne wrote: "ch 35 - for me next holiday: rain wild city please. malta's description of the place sounds like heaven!"

Including the acidic river?

ah well no, without the acidic river please!
and come to think of it, without earthqueakes too :)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Ch35 - Ah, it becomes a little clearer what happened in Bingtown - so it was the Rain Wilders who attacked the carriage with the Satrap and the Vestrits.
And there is fighting between New Traders and Old Traders.
And Amber has a spy network of slaves.

And yes, I'm a little astonished that Malta goes looking for the dragon - but it appears she is planning to free it somehow.