Urban Fantasy discussion

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
This topic is about Good Omens
GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Book of the Month - June - Good Omens

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Here's our June book of the month! Write your thoughts below.

Michelle (fireweaver) | 63 comments i doubt very much that i'll get around to re-reading it with you guys this month, but i do love this book!

Susan Stec (thegratefulundead) | 95 comments Yeah, just kindled the book and synced the audio. Won't start it for a couple of weeks but look forward to the discussions.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 46 comments I read it a long time ago. Had some LOL moments for me.

Susan Stec (thegratefulundead) | 95 comments Yeah, Pratchett is always good for a laugh, or two, or three, or more. LOLOL

Susan Stec (thegratefulundead) | 95 comments Yeah, Pratchett is always good for a laugh, or two, or three, or more. LOLOLOL

message 7: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments I have this book on audio but I keep loosing track of the characters. Perhaps I will get the book and try to read along this month.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments I read one Pratcher (it was okay. Too many POV for me, but I did enjoy the characters.) I read one short story and started a book by Gaiman. The short story was amazingly bad. The book start was okay, but not my thing.

This is one of those books that just doesn't interest me at all...

April (dwndrgn) | 44 comments What Gaiman short story did you read? I don't think I've ever read any of his short stories, only the novel length books.

I re-read Good Omens recently and while I still found it to be a good book, it wasn't as amazingly funny or nearly as fun to read as the first time. I don't know if that is a change in my perspective, the fact that I'd already read it (though I re-read Discworld books all the time) or some other obscure cause.

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments April wrote: "What Gaiman short story did you read? I don't think I've ever read any of his short stories, only the novel length books.

I re-read Good Omens recently and while I still found it to be a good boo..."

BookspotCentral published a Gaiman short story. It's still probably out there. I'd heard so many positive things about his writing, but that short wasn't one of them.

April (dwndrgn) | 44 comments Maria wrote: "April wrote: "What Gaiman short story did you read? I don't think I've ever read any of his short stories, only the novel length books.

I re-read Good Omens recently and while I still found it to..."

Couldn't find it. Are you sure it was his? How long ago was it?

Also, I apparently lied above because I did read a Gaimon short in the anthology Weird Detectives. I liked the story but didn't find it too fitting for the anthology itself.

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments April wrote: "Maria wrote: "April wrote: "What Gaiman short story did you read? I don't think I've ever read any of his short stories, only the novel length books.

I re-read Good Omens recently and while I sti..."

Look for the magazine -- Heliotrope? Something like that. Last time I managed to find the magazine that BSC did, it was still there...

April (dwndrgn) | 44 comments Maria wrote: "April wrote: "Maria wrote: "April wrote: "What Gaiman short story did you read? I don't think I've ever read any of his short stories, only the novel length books.

I re-read Good Omens recently a..."

Found it. Ah. Yes. That is a bit of a disturbing little story. And difficult to read. Hm. I'd say it wasn't very representative of his fantasy work. Except for maybe American Gods.

message 14: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments April wrote: "Maria wrote: "April wrote: "Maria wrote: "April wrote: "What Gaiman short story did you read? I don't think I've ever read any of his short stories, only the novel length books.

I re-read Good Om..."

Little bit disturbing? It's...awful, wandering and weird.

message 15: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Maria wrote: "April wrote: "Maria wrote: "April wrote: "Maria wrote: "April wrote: "What Gaiman short story did you read? I don't think I've ever read any of his short stories, only the novel length books.

I r..."

The industry always warns against releasing the oddball, one-off stories we writers have in our storage bins. I did give him another chance after reading that thing, but it was a close call. And I was predisposed to be impatient with it.

Like every other writer out there, I'll probably ignore the sage advice myself though. Or maybe I already have...

April (dwndrgn) | 44 comments It felt like a story written for a very specific audience and clearly neither you or I were in that audience.

message 17: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Rosa I loved this book. Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors and I think it was great partnership with Terry Pratchett. Lots of hilarious moments and fun characters. One of my favorites by Neil Gaiman is Neverwhere. What is everyone else's favorites?

David Derus This is my first time through the book. I love it. I particularly like the friendship between the angel and the demon. It also has some great insights about the source of human evil and suffering.

Although, I am only halfway through it.

message 19: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Rosa David wrote: "This is my first time through the book. I love it. I particularly like the friendship between the angel and the demon. It also has some great insights about the source of human evil and suffering...."

Those insights only get more interesting as you get towards the end. I also loved the friendship between Crowley and Aziraphale. Hilarious characters those two. Enjoy the second half of the book!

David Derus Shadwell, do you all think he was a likable character? If so why?

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael Underwood | 9 comments Possibly my favorite part of the book is Dog. Being named so innocuously feeds into the denial of prophecy, as Dog had the potential to be a scary hell-beast, but ends up learning to love just being a Dog.

That and the oft-renamed Other Riders of the Apocalypse and their search for the proper titles (my favorite is Things Not Working Properly Even After You've Given Them A Good Thumping but secretly No Alcohol Lager)

message 22: by lanalang (last edited Jun 29, 2013 09:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

lanalang | 1 comments Hi everyone, I'm new to this group. I started this book some days ago and I finished it today. Previously I had read 'The Graveyard Book' by Gaiman and I loved it and then 'The color of magic' by Pratchett and I loved it, too.
So I was expecting a lot from Good Omens but to be honest I was a little disappointed through all the first half of the book. I found it a bit boring. Much better the second half and really exhilarant when all of the characters head to the military base and meet Mr Tyler. I enjoyed it very much!:D
I appreciated the ending, too. A lot.

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) I'm running late, but about half-way through the book. Hoping to finish it soon! I'm really enjoying the dry humor.

Michael Leffel (FB-AvidReader) | 28 comments Any one ever read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, if so dose this novel remind you of it structurally and stylistically?

Or is it just me....

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) I finished Good Omens, yay:) I loved the dry humor, however the second half of the book wasn't as engaging for me as the first half. It did remind of the movie, The Omen. I think my favorite part was when the babies were switched.

Julia | 615 comments Neil Gaiman has a short story, "Chivalry," which I have in his collection Smoke and Mirrors, but I recommend you look for it read by the author on Selected Shorts website...
It's delightful.
I laughed all the way through Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. I don't read enough funny books.