Beta Reader Group discussion

I looking to become a beta reader.....

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bethany (last edited Jun 04, 2013 12:50PM) (new)

Bethany | 5 comments I am thinking of becoming a BETA reader, i will admit i have never done it before, i spoke to a few who have they have said that your basically looking for spelling errors, what you think of the plot, and general over all notes, if some could maybe offer some advice of what you need to do as BETA reader, also if anyone was interested in me becoming a BETA reader for them let me know i will post more details, i enjoy reading romance Books (Modern romance/Youny adults/adult romance/contemporary romance/erotic (romance)/Romantic suspence)

Many thanks
Beth....

message 2: by Lin (new)

Lin | 213 comments Mod
I would suggest building up your bookshelf so people can get an idea of what you like as a reader, and I'd be very careful about your own spelling and punctuation, to be honest - if you're expecting to help someone out in checking for errors, it helps if you demonstrate you can recognise correct writing ;)
Other than that, it's generally "read testing" a book - is it interesting, does it flow well, at what points are you confused/bored/excited/more interested, can you spot any plot holes, etc.
I found a good explanation of a beta reader's role here - http://www.smallbluedog.com/what-make...

message 3: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 5 comments Thank you replying, i only looked into it recently.
I read a lot of romance books in my spare time, and i have more free time on my hands thought i would maybe give it a shot, when i have a better understanding.

Thank you for posting the link :D

message 4: by Kevis (last edited Jun 04, 2013 01:19PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 130 comments Bethany, being a beta reader isn't rocket science. The general idea is for you to give constructive criticism to the author so that you can point out any areas of their work that you feel gave you trouble while reading it. Don't worry about stuff like spelling and grammar. Those are things that an author should hire an editor for. If an author is expecting you to edit their book for them, kindly decline from reading their book.

As an author what I want to know your general opinion of the story including, but not limited to:

Did you enjoy reading it?
Were you engaged throughout the book?
Did you sympathize with the main character?
Was the plot confusing?
Did the story move too quickly or too slowly?
Would you pay money to read this book?
Would you read a sequel if one was written?

If the answer is no to any of these questions, explain why.

I'm sure you've read enough books to form an opinion. You just have to read with a more critical eye and make notes along the way if something doesn't pass the smell test with you. That's really all there is to being a beta reader.

The problem is too many authors treat their beta readers like they are an editor. (Sorry folks. You want grammar and spelling help, you're going to have to break open the old piggy bank.)

message 5: by Kevis (last edited Jun 04, 2013 01:17PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 130 comments P.S.: As long as you can read with a critical eye and give comments on the areas of a book where you feel things weren't working so well, you're all ready to become a beta reader.

Again, don't confuse the job of a beta reader with editing a book and you'll do just fine.

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 5 comments Kevis wrote: "Being a beta reader isn't rocket science. The general idea is for you to give constructive criticism to the author so that you can point out any areas of their work that you feel gave you trouble w..."

I just saw it on facebook, i read a lot of books in my spare time, and because i having more spare time on my hands i though maybe i could have a go at doing it, if i wasn't any good an author could tell me i was doing a bad job of it and i wouldn't do it again...I might give it try after i have read more into it, Thank you for your comments everyone :D

message 7: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 130 comments Bethany wrote: "Kevis wrote: "Being a beta reader isn't rocket science. The general idea is for you to give constructive criticism to the author so that you can point out any areas of their work that you feel gave..."

No problem and good luck!

message 8: by Bethany (last edited Jun 04, 2013 02:12PM) (new)

Bethany | 5 comments Kirsty wrote: "As a beta reader, I look to see if the book has any major holes in the plot, or if it all makes sense, etc...

If I see any spelling mistakes then I will point them out, but that is just because I ..."

Thank you, i notice spelling mistake in some books i have read it what sparked my interest in being a Beta reader, I am forever reading books.... Thank you for your comment

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy Reed (mystick7) | 1 comments Hi! I'm looking for information on how to become a beta reader. I read daily, as I don't like what is on TV these days. I love to read Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Paranomal, Romance, and Erotica type books. Any info you can send me would be helpful!

Thanks,

Amy

message 10: by Kira (new)

Kira Adams | 85 comments Amy,

You don't have posses a ton of qualifications to become a beta reader. A love for reading is top priority. Then, as previously mentioned a critical eye is the second most important thing.

The main things I ask my betas to watch out for is the overall plot/flow of the novel, if they catch any small grammar/spelling mistakes and want to point it out I'm game.

In general a beta reader is someone who is willing to take time out of their busy schedule and read novels before they are published (and even some that are) with the sole purpose of providing constructive criticism.

If this sounds appealing to you and you think you have the necessary skills...get in there are start offering ;)

message 11: by Kira (new)

Kira Adams | 85 comments I forgot to mention the link Lin listed towards the beginning of this thread is very helpful! It answers a bunch of questions and gives just as much advice. I would definitely recommend checking it out!