The Little Prince The Little Prince discussion

Have you read this book in English and French?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read it in both English and French. It is a beautiful book in any language.

Marius Pontmercy English, French, Dutch and Japanese. The reason why I read it in many languages is because I think it is a great first book to try in a language you are learning.

I would go with the original, in French.

Viky First in German (native language), then in French. We discussed the book in French class and I really enjoyed it. It was more beautiful in Franch because I was older and understood the messages in the book

Rachel I've read this in English and French. There is a beauty and grace in the French version that I didn't feel as strongly in the English version.

Casey It was a requirement in my French class to read it in French and then translate it on our own as our final. A great experience!

Frenchie I read it in French many years ago and re-read it very recently. I have just bought the English version but I cannot bring myself to read it in English.
It has always been magical for me and in a way, I am scared of destroying this by reading it in another language.
But, when I do, I will let you know my experience.

Maryam I read it in French. It was my first book after I started to learn the language, so I definitely plan to re-read it both in French and some other language I know. I loved the original, but since I'm into translations, it's always curious to see how the translator handled the job.

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Jun 20, 2013 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I read it in French, because I thought it would be more thrilling to read a book that is so praised by tons of people in its original language. But I'd like to read it in English and Dutch as well one day.

Jackie I read it in French years ago and then more recently in English so found it hard to compare. I did think it was a beautiful story and so well told, in both languages.

message 10: by Pam (last edited Jun 21, 2013 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam My high school french class read it together in French and translated it to English as we went. I do not remember a difference between the languages as much as I remember my wonderful teacher enhancing the message of the story. I need to read it again. Such a touching story. I graduated over 30 years ago and still keep in touch with my french teacher. She is still a wonderful person.

Albena in Bulgarian

Tonya I read it in English and in high school, I read it in German for my language class.

Gaenolee I first read it in English, in a copy I still own that my sister gave to me over 50 years ago. I read it in French in high school, after I'd learned enough French to understand it. Then, several years ago, I read it in Spanish while a Latino theater with which I work was doing a production in Spanish.

Elina First in Greek (native language) and then in English

Jenelle First in French and several years later in English. It was definitely better in French... though I didn't think it was all that fabulous in either language.

message 16: by Elna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elna Only in Catalan, my native language.

Ronny I have read it in French as well as English. I enjoyed it in both languages, but there is a beauty in the original French that I think has defied translation. So I would say if you know French, read it in French, it's very well worth it.

Alfrún Trollsdóttir Only in Polish (my native language), but several times over the years. And it only gets better.

message 19: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Lu en francais, du pour etre relu tres bientot.
(non, je n'ai pas oublie mes accents... je ne les ai tout simplement pas sur mon clavier ;-)

Maryam Paul wrote: "Lu en francais, du pour etre relu tres bientot.
(non, je n'ai pas oublie mes accents... je ne les ai tout simplement pas sur mon clavier ;-)"

@Paul http://french.keyboard.su/
tu peux l'utiliser sur n'importe quel clavier ;)

Chloé I read it in French only. I usually go for the original version when I speak the language. Otherwise I read the first version I find in either English or French. Anyway, it's probably great in any language, so you definitely should read it in French if you're thinking about it.

Lenka It was the first book I've read in French and it surprised me that it wasn't difficult to read at all :)

Rebecca Have read it in English, Czech and Spanish. Don´t know which I prefer, it´s always wonderful.

Palazzo di Read it in French first, loved it, and found it tres drole! Picked up an English copy as I found a nice hardcover version, and I have a thing about visually appealing books!! :-D I'm partial to the French version though ......

message 25: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary I read this in both French and English. Beautifully written.

Naomi Rachel wrote: "I've read this in English and French. There is a beauty and grace in the French version that I didn't feel as strongly in the English version."

I felt the same, there are some ideas which aren't so gracefully conveyed in English.

pilar Cuando era pequeña fui a Las Escuelas Francesas y fue uno de los primeros que leí, luego lo he leído en español y me han parecido los dos, cada uno en su momento igual de interesantes.

لارا in english...
قراته على النت و بتمنى احصل عليه كتاب ورقي !!

Evaldas Makarskas I read in lithuanian, but one day I'll do it in english

Laura Avery First in French, then in English. I loved it in both but the story sounds more charming in French.

Celina I read it twice in English but I want to try to learn how to read it in French :)

Kitty Both AND in Spanish!

Donnie Marsh Rachel wrote: "I've read this in English and French. There is a beauty and grace in the French version that I didn't feel as strongly in the English version."

I agree!

Donnie Marsh Ronny wrote: "I have read it in French as well as English. I enjoyed it in both languages, but there is a beauty in the original French that I think has defied translation. So I would say if you know French, rea..."

YES!

Donnie Marsh Julia Rose wrote: "I've read it in both English and French. It is a beautiful book in any language."

Well-put!

Doreen In French for 19th century Lit at university. Don't think I have read it in English at all.

message 37: by Fred (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fred Yes and Oui

Johannes Ziskoven Read it in English, German, Dutch and Spanish. Too bad I don´t speak any French, otherwise I would.

Patricia I read it in portuguese

message 40: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Oldham I've read it in both French and English - I think it is a beautiful book in both languages.

message 41: by Lorraine (new) - added it

Lorraine I've read it once in French but several times since in English.

Rosslara I read it in Italian and Spanish and I enjoyed it in both languages.

Joana Portuguese!

Stephanie I haven't read in in English but was required to translate it in French class back in High School.

Oana. French and Romanian.

message 46: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby Emam I read this book both in French and English, however there is one particular French word "apprivoiser" which I don't think can ever be translated into any other language... There is no equivalent.

Brianna Allen English, French, German, then Japanese... in that order. An excellent learning book, but I found the French version to be the best.

إيمان french

Gaenolee Brianna wrote: "English, French, German, then Japanese... in that order. An excellent learning book, but I found the French version to be the best."

Of course it is; it's the original.

Jacqueline Masumian Yes, I was required to read it many years ago in French, and I've read it in English. I'm overdue to re-read it, but when I do, it'll be in French. Love that language.

« previous 1