The Recognitions The Recognitions question

A long deep read to last a fortnight's holiday?
Andrew Male Andrew (last edited Jun 04, 2013 09:57AM ) Jun 04, 2013 09:56AM
Last year I took just one book on holiday: The Recognitions, by William Gaddis. It was a rich, deep, funny, complex, profound, sad, infuriating character-packed read and it (almost) lasted me the whole holiday. Can anyone think of another long novel that might do the same trick this year? All thoughts appreciated. Extra points for originality. Many thanks, in advance.

Hi Andrew,

A few recommendations for you (forgive me if you've read, but your "Read" shelf was a bit too long for me to scrutinize):

Infinite Jest by DFW
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

And I'll second the above suggestions for Cloud Atlas (which far surpasses the movie in terms of quality and depth) and JR (which I too have been keeping on my shelf awaiting the perfect time to read).

Hope some of these help you!

Best,

Charlie

Like you I loved and was equally infuriated (at times) by The Recognitions.

I'm just going to recommend for you Under the Volcano. Yup, it's not 1000 pages as specified but it's simply oozing with that heart-wrenching human drama and psychology writ large like a mythic fable as well as that certain intoxicating subtextuality of modernist writing but in Under the Volcano it's done SO FUCKING WELL. The book walks the line between not too hard and the undercurrent big payoff for those paying attention better than anything else I've read. A symbolist's dream come true.

Infinite Jest or Gravity's Rainbow probably fit the bill for you as well, though I haven't finished those.. but I still want to eventually.

Andrew Male Totally on the money there as I absolutely LOVE Under The Volcano. Intoxicating is right. the whole book is like a tropical fever dream. have you read ...more
Oct 25, 2013 12:57AM
M 25x33
Brendan The greatest literary bender of all time
Feb 19, 2014 04:16AM

Well, depending on how fast you read and how many hours a day you will devote to it, along with the eternal question: what do you LIKE to read?, I would recommend a couple. (Bear in mind, I'm picking my own favorites that have compelling layers and characters and it is my own opinion as to the complexity of the novels. /end disclaimer)

Under the Dome, The Stand, or The Talisman by Stephen King
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Clan of the Cave Bear and Valley of Horses by Jean Auel

I have not read Cloud Atlas yet, but if the movie is any indication, it's complex and deep.

If I had two weeks, I would read all of these and a few more, just because my idea of a great holiday is spending 12 hours a day reading my favorite books :-) Have a nice vacation!