Struggling Writers discussion

*Archives * > What are your writing goals?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 38 comments I'm trying to figure out what my new goals should be, so I thought I would ask all of you if you had any goals. Do you try to write a set number of pages or words a day? Do you always make yourself create an outline before writing? Do you write for a certain number of hours each day? I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) I just try to write at least one chapter per day of any story I'm working on,

message 3: by Grace (new)

Grace (fictionaladventures) | 237 comments Usually I don't have any kind of specific pattern, but right now I'm doing a Book In A Month challenge, so my goal at least 2,000 words every day, but so far I've been doing more like 3 or 4,000.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 38 comments That's amazing! Good for you! How many hours a day does it take? Did you outline it first?

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace (fictionaladventures) | 237 comments Laura wrote: "That's amazing! Good for you! How many hours a day does it take? Did you outline it first?"

Thank you :) It doesn't take very long. I just finished writing another 2,000 words and I started about an hour and a half ago. Yes, I outline first. This particular book I'd had the idea for a while, so I'd already outlined it.

message 6: by Kevin (last edited Jun 04, 2013 02:38PM) (new)

Kevin Walsh | 2 comments Well, last month, I set myself to a writing schedule to see what it would be like. I have so many novel projects half-started or notes scribbled on loose papers, so I decided to put my ass in chair and pound out a few more books.
My schedule for May consisted of writing at least 1000 words on the weekdays, and take the weekends off to day-dream about what to write next, and also to give me a break to avoid a writing burnout.
At the end of May, I had 36,000 words written, which was half of the expected length for the novel. (70,000 words or so.) But, during that time, I also read 4 books and reviewed them on Goodreads, Amazon and Buyzombie.com. Reading in between bouts of writing is just as important as the writing itself.
So, with any luck, If I write as many words as I did last month, then I will have written the novel. Although, I usually have a tendency to overshoot my initial goal, so this project will probably be more like 85,000 words.
Oh, and the only form of outlining I had was that I wrote 6 scenes on flashcards, 1 to 2 sentences per card.
No character sketches, no overall outlines, no synopsis--nothing. I rarely outline any novels anymore, just takes all the fun out of it most of the time. I'll go as far as writing a sentence or two about the chapter on a flashcard, then the rest just writing what's in my head.

message 7: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Wallace | 4 comments I try to write at least a page every day, but health problems and family/friend drama have kind of been taking away from that, lately..:(

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Lol I have just been reading all the comments, I try to write a chapter per day, but very rarely succeed-like today, my daughter asked if she could please have a trampoline or a table tennis table, oh and while I had my purse out could I please remember that I promised to buy her a new swimming pool (disposable kind) on general they have a two summer life span, three if you're exra careful! I now need to up my writing to 2 chapters per day, finish the book, and hope lots of people buy my books to pay for Sophie's next projects!

message 9: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Jones (authra) | 1074 comments I try to write at least 500 to 1,000 a day but it also depends on what I am writing

In November I try to writer the goal amount of 1665( I believe that adds up to 50,000 words by the end of the month) tho most of the time what is written is not anygood

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Laura wrote: "I'm trying to figure out what my new goals should be, so I thought I would ask all of you if you had any goals. Do you try to write a set number of pages or words a day? Do you always make yourself..."

I don't always have something to write about (ie a current project) but I make myself write 750 words a day. Even if I end up writing about how I have nothing to write about and that the font is really boring I still write. I got into the habit when I went to a writing convention near me and was introduced to www.750words.com as it was a free place then. 750 words uses the concept of morning pages (that's what I know them as) with an updated twist. It used to be a free site but now you have to pay (there was a mention about them giving away free memberships). Anyways, you create yourself a login and you get a blank page every day that only YOU have access to. It saves everything you write and only notifies you when you reach 750words.

Like I said though, it is no longer free but you may want to check it out and see if the money is worth it for every month.

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Destiny (Elizabeth Grace) wrote: "Usually I don't have any kind of specific pattern, but right now I'm doing a Book In A Month challenge, so my goal at least 2,000 words every day, but so far I've been doing more like 3 or 4,000."

That's really great! Have you checked out NaNoWriMo?

message 12: by Grace (new)

Grace (fictionaladventures) | 237 comments Irene: I have! After I finish writing the one I'm writing at the end of this month, I'm going to try to write another for the July NaNoWriMo

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Cool! I tried it last year (the one in November) but I was also doing a bunch of other stuff at once so it didn't really work out.

message 14: by Grace (new)

Grace (fictionaladventures) | 237 comments Yeah, the November one is super difficult for me cause it's during school. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out for July

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments It was not only during school but our marching band got invited to a special performance thing that was at the end of the month, our BETA club had three community service projects, I was taking two college classes in addition to three high school classes (we have a block schedule), and I was working a part time job (about 20 hours a week). So it was super crazy. I also want to say that our band director got super sick and so we were having to work even harder because she couldn't oversee practice always.

message 16: by Grace (new)

Grace (fictionaladventures) | 237 comments Wow. Yep, that would make it difficult to write a whole book in a month.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Irene wrote: "It was not only during school but our marching band got invited to a special performance thing that was at the end of the month, our BETA club had three community service projects, I was taking two..."

Hi Irene

Has school finished now for the summer? If so would you like the next 16 chapters to HOD or would you rather wait until I finish it now?

message 18: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

Ingrid | 927 comments Mod
I read every single comment. I guess that makes me the loner of the group. I have a short attention span when it comes to writing. This never occured to me when i attended fourth grade, because my first novel was completed then and on a wordpad document, it consistent of 109 pages. Now, with all the stress and self-lack I deem in myself, I can only do a few words a day (300-400) however I have a goal for this summer and I think it may work because I put up two VISIONBOARDS on my wall. If you don't know what they are, they are posters that you decorate with your achievements and goal plans for either long term goals or short term goals. I have been using Irene's website suggestion: www.750words.com since I registered right before the payment edition.

Oh, and for any of you that like to plan out your essays before you write them or need planning help on essays and papers, check out www.clickacademics.com
You can sign up for a free trial. I know the payment is seventy five dollars but I've been logged in for days for the 'free trial' functionality.

To answer your question, I'm lucky if I even write 500 words a day.

message 19: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Sarah wrote: "Irene wrote: "It was not only during school but our marching band got invited to a special performance thing that was at the end of the month, our BETA club had three community service projects, I ..."

I am taking a summer course but it will be over by Friday July 12 so I would like to hold off until then, if that is okay? I like reading it in chunks as the whole thing at once is a tad overwhelming. How's it coming though?

message 20: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Ingrid wrote: "I read every single comment. I guess that makes me the loner of the group. I have a short attention span when it comes to writing. This never occured to me when i attended fourth grade, because my ..."

That's great you got in :) The creators of the site decided that they were going to need more help with the site now that it has gotten bigger and hiring someone means you need money.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Irene wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Irene wrote: "It was not only during school but our marching band got invited to a special performance thing that was at the end of the month, our BETA club had three community servic..."

It's coming good, I am tying up loose ends, trying desperately not to miss anything, continuity is a bug bear, but oh so very necessary if you want to keep your reader interested right up to the end. I hate when I am reading and the author suddenly changes the characters name mid-stream, throws me completely!

You let me know when you are ready for it Irene, and how much you want at one time and I'll do the rest.

message 22: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Sarah wrote: "Irene wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Irene wrote: "It was not only during school but our marching band got invited to a special performance thing that was at the end of the month, our BETA club had three co..."

Okay, it'll have to me after my course is over (it's a 36 week Latin two course crammed down into 6 weeks).

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) I've decided that I'm just going to try to make myself write at least one thing every day. A chapter, a paragraph, a short story, even a journal entry--just something.

message 24: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments That's great, good luck!

message 25: by L (new)

L Last year when i took part for the first time in "NaNoWriMo" i managed to keep to a strict timetable and by working towards writing so many words a day (2,000 goal) i managed to write 1/4 of my novel.
I have since learnt that the only way i get writing done is to keep to a structured schedule.
This year my health has caused problems, affecting everything, including continuing with my writing. We shall be moving house (because of this) soon, and once settled in i plan to re-write a new schedule and continue with my novel. My plans to complete it will only be achived with hard work and regular dedication...something i have learnt through being a member on Goodreads.

As one author advised me once. "If you want to be a writer...then write!" It sounds silly, but unless i really stick my mind to writing every single day then nothing will get completed, as excuses or days off or time spent doing other things (i.e. like lots of breaks for tea!) can infringe drastically on your goals.

I am hoping that 2014 will be a really good year, and hopefully it will reflect all that i achived in 2012. This year is a blip.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

When I began writing I didn't set any goals. The time just went by and before I knew it I had written some books. I'm the author of 25 books. I don't know how that happened. Time just flew by. I never kept count of how much work I was doing. This is what I was doing. I still have more work to publish. I can say that I'm dedicated. I also do time management also since there is so much to do. I only take an hour to do this work. My time is very valuable.

message 27: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 18 comments Lucinda wrote: "Last year when i took part for the first time in "NaNoWriMo" i managed to keep to a strict timetable and by working towards writing so many words a day (2,000 goal) i managed to write 1/4 of my nov..."
I feel compassion for you Lucinda. Good for you for sticking with it, and good luck in your new surroundings.

I check in on this site regularily, but don't respond much. Tommorrow I start with two fellow collaborators to work on a musical. In this case I will be in charge of lyrics. I've done two tunes so far. But, have to admit, I'm pretty nervous -- hope I measure up. (LOL) It's these doubts that stop me all the time.

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) I can't wait for NaNoWriMo. Maybe it'll finally make me stick to writing every day.

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) Sherry wrote: "Lucinda wrote: "Last year when i took part for the first time in "NaNoWriMo" i managed to keep to a strict timetable and by working towards writing so many words a day (2,000 goal) i managed to wri..."

That's awesome, Sherry! What musical?!

message 30: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 18 comments Jessica wrote: "Sherry wrote: "Lucinda wrote: "Last year when i took part for the first time in "NaNoWriMo" i managed to keep to a strict timetable and by working towards writing so many words a day (2,000 goal) i..."
One of my fellow collaborators wants me to keep that quiet until we know for sure we have something. So, I let you guys be one of the first to know.

And... thanks for the support and words of encouragement.

message 31: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 13 comments I'm not incredibly strict with my goals but I try at least 1,000 words a day and set a goal date to have my rough draft finished. 1,000 words is not a lot but with the two year running around its about all I can manage, haha. At the moment my main goal is to finish the sequel to my debut novel, Faded.

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) Sherry wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Sherry wrote: "Lucinda wrote: "Last year when i took part for the first time in "NaNoWriMo" i managed to keep to a strict timetable and by working towards writing so many words a da..."

Alright, well I really hope you can tell me as soon as you're allowed to! :) I love musicals and Broadway and everything of the sort :D

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) Adriana wrote: "I'm not incredibly strict with my goals but I try at least 1,000 words a day and set a goal date to have my rough draft finished. 1,000 words is not a lot but with the two year running around its a..."

That's still a pretty tough goal to set for yourself when you're constantly busy, so good job! :)