Modern Good Reads discussion

Horror > Worst horror novel you ever read?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian McKinley | 151 comments Tell us about that book that just didn't work. We've all read some that were just awful or disappointing.

message 2: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 78 comments I'd say False Memory by Dean Koontz.

message 3: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 78 comments I also didn't like They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon. I know. Start throwing the rotten fruit and pig brains.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 49 comments Jeaniene Frost's Twice Tempted .

message 5: by Christopher, Founder (new)

Christopher Shields (wealdfaejournals) | 171 comments Mod
Swan Song. Interestingly, also by Robert R. McCammon. The only book I've ever thrown away mid-read.

message 6: by Zack (new)

Zack Red Rain: R.L. Stine. I just threw up in my mouth a bit just thinking about how awful it was.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian McKinley | 151 comments Christopher wrote: "Swan Song. Interestingly, also by Robert R. McCammon. The only book I've ever thrown away mid-read."

I'm kinda surprised by that, Chris! I read Swan Song and enjoyed it. What was it that turned you off?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Tick Tock by Dean Koontz. It was a giant WTFbomb and full of too many cool and weird elements to gel. Also, the Koontz Standard Slightly Autistic or Shy Hero With a Weirdly Logical Voice and his Rule of Happy Endings were in full effect on this one.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 43 comments Michelle wrote: "Tick Tock by Dean Koontz. It was a giant WTFbomb and full of too many cool and weird elements to gel. Also, the Koontz Standard Slightly Autistic or Shy Hero With a Weirdly Logical Voice and his Ru..."

I kinda liked Tick Tock, though I definitely see what you mean... lol

message 10: by P.I. (new)

P.I. (thewordslinger) Again, I cannot recall the title/author but the worst (near the end)scene was one in which the hero ran up the stairs of an old house to save the heroine. In the house was some type of surreal, demon party (kind of like Carnival of Souls only worse)that was described so badly I thought it was stream of consciousness instead of a real occurrence. It should have worked, the elements were all there, but it just didn't coalesce. It ruined the rest of the novel for me. Authors need to learn how to present the unreal in real enough terms to appear real. Yes redundant sentence. I don't care, authors learn your craft!

message 11: by Chad (new)

Chad Lorion (goodreadscomcmichaellorion) Gregor wrote: "I'd say False Memory by Dean Koontz."

I've tried False Memory at least twice, couldn't get past the first hundred pages. And I like most of Koontz's stuff.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I was rather disappointed in Stephen King's "Carrie." I thought it would be a much better read than it was. I found the book too dry and clinical, and with not nearly as much action as I anticipated after seeing the movie.